HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

GBD pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
flytyer

Number of posts: 681
Tobacco: Commonwealth,Golden sliced, SPC plum pudding, Skiff, SG Navy Flake, Three Nuns, Meat Pie
Pipe: all kinds
Registration date: 2009-03-22

PostSubject: GBD pipes   Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:33 am

Im looking for some input on new GBD pipes . It seems that the older ones are regarded as good smokers, and Im wondering if anyone has any experiance good or bad with the new pipes by this maker. I am mulling over buying one Ive had my eye on.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

Number of posts: 1136
Registration date: 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Stay away at all costs, especially any of those you might be eying on eBay. I hate getting outbid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Number of posts: 2016
Tobacco: FVF
Pipe: Pete's, GBD's & Jan Pietenpauw
Registration date: 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:42 pm

The older GBD's (pre-1980's) are the better ones. Quality kind of nose-dived thereafter. Which is not to say you won't be lucky & get yourself a good smoker from a more recent model.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Number of posts: 5212
Registration date: 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Im fond GBDs in general, especially the Prehistorics. They're quite common on ebay so shouldn't be to hard to get ahold of one. The Perspex stems are awesome too. Cool

One of my favorites is a Collector (the second largest category) matte Lumberjack (shape 263) that I reserve for Lat and Orientals. Its one of the newer ones with a printed GBD logo, not the metal rondelle. Superb smoker so I dont mind...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattia76

Number of posts: 402
Tobacco: Anniversary Kake
Park Square by Peretti

Pipe: Brakner Antique Poker
Heeschen Poker
Larsen Copenhagen Super 38*Blasted
Registration date: 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:13 pm

The older ones seem to be very well thought of and have rabid collectors.

Look for ones with a metal inlaid (embossed?) logo and (if possible) one that was made in England.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:37 pm

They're often fine pipes, and have many supporters.

What's ironic though is that you can say this of virtually any of the British upscale marques of the 1950-75 era -- GBD, Comoy, Sasieni, Dunhill, Charatan, Loewe & BBB alike.

Heck, there are even those (guilty as charged) with a fondness for Petersons made back then.

De gustibus non disputandem Laughing

What a Face
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Number of posts: 5212
Registration date: 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:30 pm

Yak wrote:

What's ironic though is that you can say this of virtually any of the British upscale marques of the 1950-75 era -- GBD, Comoy, Sasieni, Dunhill, Charatan, Loewe & BBB alike.
De gustibus non disputandem Laughing

What a Face

So true.... Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nosenhoj

Number of posts: 114
Tobacco: Frog Morton-EMP-McClelland Dark Star -2015- 5110Ser. Lat.
Buffalo Soldier-Royal Yacht-Hal O the Wind-Marlin Flake
Penzance Haddos delight Dark star Balkan Sasieni Frog morton Westminster Jack Knife Plug Best brown Flake
Blackwoods flake NightcapRum Cake,Nut Brown Burley
Pipe: Sherlock Holmes collection 22Petes ,African Meers- (30) Pioneer-Jambo, Zulu, Altinok, Ben wade Free hand
GBD Quintex, Royal Danish,Lee limited .
Registration date: 2011-01-06

PostSubject: GBD Pipes   Thu May 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Older is better.
I am old enough to have lived through the glory days, of several well known pipe manufactures, and have been lucky enough to have several classics in my collection.
The Vintage GBS"s are still obtainable if you seek them out, But only after doing some research.The best part about buying vintage estate pipes is that they are already broken in,so once they are sanitized, they are ready to go full throttle.I have 2 smooth billards,a Marquis #117 & a Roissy #88 Made in St Claude France. I est. late 40's early 50's superb briars,with super, natural grains.Anyone lucky enough to snag a vintage GBD, will have many wonderfull years of smoking pleasure,from a 50 + year old briar.

"There's a story behind every bowl"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onabullit

Number of posts: 285
Tobacco: Penzance, Blackwoods Flake, FVF, Renier LGF, Hal O' The Winds, Stonehaven, 3 Oaks Syrian, GLP Westminster, Chelsea Morning, Escudo
Pipe: 5 Massive Don Florian's, S Bang, Eltang, Preben Holm, Ben Wade, Poul Winslow, Ancient Barling's, Charatan, Garbe, Nording Soren, Alpha, Dunhill 6475
Registration date: 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Fri May 20, 2011 8:26 am

I love my GBD Unique's, both are dedicated to virginia flakes, very nice smokers.

I may have the heart to let one go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nosenhoj

Number of posts: 114
Tobacco: Frog Morton-EMP-McClelland Dark Star -2015- 5110Ser. Lat.
Buffalo Soldier-Royal Yacht-Hal O the Wind-Marlin Flake
Penzance Haddos delight Dark star Balkan Sasieni Frog morton Westminster Jack Knife Plug Best brown Flake
Blackwoods flake NightcapRum Cake,Nut Brown Burley
Pipe: Sherlock Holmes collection 22Petes ,African Meers- (30) Pioneer-Jambo, Zulu, Altinok, Ben wade Free hand
GBD Quintex, Royal Danish,Lee limited .
Registration date: 2011-01-06

PostSubject: GBD Pipes   Fri May 20, 2011 9:27 am

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Not so old Quintex trio

"There's a story behind every bowl"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Number of posts: 2016
Tobacco: FVF
Pipe: Pete's, GBD's & Jan Pietenpauw
Registration date: 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Fri May 20, 2011 11:04 am

A trio of beauties.

I have a bunch of old, French-made New Eras (the French manufacture stopped in the mid-fifties). They're just amazing. Perfect symmetry in design, all excellent (flake) smokers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Number of posts: 2933
Tobacco: My Mixture 965 & Other Lat blends.
Pipe: British made Rhodesians & Bulldogs: Comoys, Ashton, James Upshall, GBD
Registration date: 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:38 pm

I was gifted two GBD's last week and I finished restoring them this weekend.

it took some research and cleanup to reveal the weak nomenclature. Both are Colossus models, a 9677 "Bicentennial Seventy Six" Rhodesian and the other a shape 17 Oom Paul.

The Seventy Six was bowl had not seen a lot of care, but thankfully the perspex stem was in pretty good shape. I did my usual soak/micromesh sand/buff on the wheel to both. I'm been looking, unsuccessfully (well, outbid) for a 9438/9242 and this one fits that bill/shape desire perfectly.

Here's a before & after shot of both.

I smoked each today. They each smoked wonderfully with no ghosting. Both will become valued members of my rack.

The Seventy Six Rhodesian

The Oom-Paul. This stem has some cracks and I might get Walker to make me a new stem. But for now, the patina of the stem seems to fit the bowl and it smokes fine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Number of posts: 2007
Tobacco: Haunted Bookshop, Orlik Golden Sliced, Deep Hollow, JP: Storm Front, Dark & Stormy, FVF, Frog Morton(s), Captain Jack's Favorite Blend

Pipe: Most Danish styles; Nording, Karl Erik, etc. Also have an affinity for Canadians.
I predict my next pipe will be a Randy Wiley.
Registration date: 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipePuffer

Number of posts: 203
Tobacco: Virginias, VaPers
Pipe: English billiards
Registration date: 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:10 pm

I love my vintage GBDs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Number of posts: 6770
Tobacco: ALL McClelland's Virginias , and several Balkans.
Pipe: Savanelli's, Pre and Lane era Charatans as well as various GBD's,BBB's, and Edward's and S&R pipes.
Registration date: 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: GBD pipes   Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:29 pm

I do not know much about the newer (post 1980) GBD's as I bought all of mine from 1969 thru 1979 but EVERYONE of the 12 I own are some of the BEST smoking pipes I own! All are some of the nicest tight crossgrains, all smooth and most are the Century model with some International's and a couple of the brass banded Garland model. They came with some of the nicest thin, wide fishtail bits ( most of mine are SBs) and I LOVE 'em! My "newest" is a new /old one I found in a box and it has become my " Virginia " pipe and I can HIGHLY recomend any of the older ones ( with the metal, brass if possible, rondeles imbedid in the bit. They were'nt extremely costly pipes, but none of mine (all bought new) have any fills and are worth every $ asked for . So save your money, do some research, take your time and you'll aquire one of the "classics" of smoking Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

GBD pipes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar ::  :: -