HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What do you think of these kids?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: What do you think of these kids?   Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:11 pm

http://www.wimp.com/playingguitar/
A lot of words come to my mind.
They range from amazing to bizarre.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokntaz

Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of these kids?   Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Amazing as far as talent goes at such a young age but then again they are probably forced to practice several hours a day. The lack of smiles and the robotic movements are troubling for me. I wonder if these children are allowed to just be kids and have fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of these kids?   Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Smokntaz wrote:
Amazing as far as talent goes at such a young age but then again they are probably forced to practice several hours a day. The lack of smiles and the robotic movements are troubling for me. I wonder if these children are allowed to just be kids and have fun!

It's North Korea, no one is allowed to be anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of these kids?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:27 am

Somebody sent me this video recently, I loved it! Cool

In the Far East itīs common that kids pick playing music up very quickly and simply through the Suzuki method. Suzuki (A Japanese music teacher) began with the idea of teaching violin the same way we learn languages. In a nutshell- "Here, just copy this. Sound like this this..." No major explaination of "how to" or technique as in traditional western teaching. The idea is that your body will automatically begin to perform correctly based on copying a simple musical example. Just as kids learn to speak- eventually it becomes second nature. Since then the method has been applied it to teaching other string instruments, guitar, even wind instruments as well. There are several child prodigy virtuosi (Midori and Yo Yo Ma for example) who began by this method. Itīs pretty amazing the level many "non prodigy" kids reach, too. Personally I believe it is by far the best way to learn music.

As for the kids, my guess is that their neither happy nor unhappy insofar as performing goes, but rather playing their music in a manner much like we recited the "pledge of Allegiance" in gradeschool. "We just do it because weīre supposed to... Hey, whenīs recess?!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of these kids?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:07 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile

What do you think of these kids?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-