HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Tamping Large Bowl

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bulldog Bruce

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Pocatello, Idaho
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Tamping Large Bowl   Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:20 am

I loaded an estate pipe I picked up a few weeks ago for first time. It has a 'Large' bowl for my limited experience. 1" inside at rim, almost 2" deep. Only packed it about 3/4 full, due to latness in the evening, and having no idea how long a bowl this size lasts. Had to put it down about half way through to tend to stock.(two dogs). When I got back to it, had to stir ash, shook, and prepared to litely re-tamp. I realized my little pipe tool tamper was kind of a pain in this largish bowl, but had a .50 caliber empty Ma Deuce brass sitting on a shelf. It fit perfectly, is made of brass, doesn't cost 25 - 45 $, and I already had it on hand. I would strongly suggest anyone else who decides to use the fifty make _damn sure_!!! it has been discharged prior to use. Any and all disclaimers, so forth and so on

Bulldog Bruce

Never Forget
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:14 pm

I occasionally use a .45-70 shell. I have used a .45 Long Colt, but it's a little short.

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldog Bruce

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Pocatello, Idaho
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Tamping Large Bowl   Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:32 pm

Thanks Carlos. Was hoping some of the replies would suggest other calibers, the fifty is waaay long. I have friends who load both those, although I don't own either. Of course, I don't own a Ma Deuce either Sad , much to my dismay.

B.D.

Never Forget!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyO

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Sacramento, CA
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:16 pm

I use an 8mm mauser or 30-30 casing sometimes, my friend gave me a 300 weatherby magnum casing, pretty darn big...though not 50cal big heh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyFlake

avatar

Age : 76
Location : Henderson, Nevada
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:28 pm

45/70 casings work real well for bowls that are 3/4" in diameter or larger, and a good old standard 30/30 casing works well with smaller bowls!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldog Bruce

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Pocatello, Idaho
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Tamping Large Bowl   Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:53 pm

Thanx J.O. and J.F. The >3o->30 I got. The 45-70 I can git. That 50 slides rite in this part. bowl to the bottom. Have no idea what Dunhill size grade it is, other than "BIG'

Bulldog

Never Forget!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyFlake

avatar

Age : 76
Location : Henderson, Nevada
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Bulldog Bruce wrote:
Thanx J.O. and J.F. The >3o->30 I got. The 45-70 I can git. That 50 slides rite in this part. bowl to the bottom. Have no idea what Dunhill size grade it is, other than "BIG'

Bulldog

Never Forget!

Probably a Group 6, I think that's the largest!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oddball

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Lakewood, CO
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:35 pm

I have used .38/.357 brass many a time with a cob in the car. Otherwise 30-30, 8mm, 06, 300sav, .410 shotshell or whatever else happens to be lying around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldog Bruce

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Pocatello, Idaho
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Brass tampers   Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Hey Oddball, you guys still shoot out of the rig a lot down there in CO so's ya have a wide selection of empty brass, or just crack one off ta fit the pipe in your other hand like we do here in ID silent silent

Bruce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oddball

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Lakewood, CO
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:58 am

Boy I tell ya, round here we call it mobile blind huntin, if ya cant get um with a gun ya always got a tire er four. Wink Seriously though, I used to do a lot of shooting when I was at school and I try to keep all my brass. That being said, it often gets left to roll around in the call so I usually just grab whatís handy(usualy .38/.357). I never seem to have a tamper er a nail when I need one but there is almost always brass around. I have used live rounds in a pinch, though I donít suggest this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large
avatar

Age : 72
Location : Abington, Mass.
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:55 am

Morn', If anyof youse guys have extras I could use one or two,Thanx, Ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oddball

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Lakewood, CO
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:31 pm

Ken, you lookin at 50 cal or just some ramdom brass?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large
avatar

Age : 72
Location : Abington, Mass.
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:36 pm

Thanx Oddball a couple of guys are sending me some, Ken
Pacem en Puffing! tongue pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Northeast Georgia
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:38 pm

A few years ago, Johnny Flake sent me one of the neatest tampers I've seen. He had taken a spent .223 shell and inverted a wooden golf tee in the throat of the brass. You can use the tee to tamp or pull it out to remove any residual stuff in the bottom of the pipe after a smoke.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyFlake

avatar

Age : 76
Location : Henderson, Nevada
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Ol'Dawg wrote:
A few years ago, Johnny Flake sent me one of the neatest tampers I've seen. He had taken a spent .223 shell and inverted a wooden golf tee in the throat of the brass. You can use the tee to tamp or pull it out to remove any residual stuff in the bottom of the pipe after a smoke.

Jim


Thanks for the kind words Jim! That set up really works very well and it's super cheap to make. Unfortunately, I have run out of .223 casings, however, I have a shit load of golf tees! LOL!

Johnny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyO

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Sacramento, CA
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:13 pm

JohnnyFlake wrote:
Ol'Dawg wrote:
A few years ago, Johnny Flake sent me one of the neatest tampers I've seen. He had taken a spent .223 shell and inverted a wooden golf tee in the throat of the brass. You can use the tee to tamp or pull it out to remove any residual stuff in the bottom of the pipe after a smoke.

Jim


Thanks for the kind words Jim! That set up really works very well and it's super cheap to make. Unfortunately, I have run out of .223 casings, however, I have a shit load of golf tees! LOL!

Johnny

Were you the one selling similar ones on ebay not too long ago?

~Johnny O....maybe I could be Johnny Plug...or Johnny Course Cut... Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyFlake

avatar

Age : 76
Location : Henderson, Nevada
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:41 pm

JohnnyO wrote:
JohnnyFlake wrote:
Ol'Dawg wrote:
A few years ago, Johnny Flake sent me one of the neatest tampers I've seen. He had taken a spent .223 shell and inverted a wooden golf tee in the throat of the brass. You can use the tee to tamp or pull it out to remove any residual stuff in the bottom of the pipe after a smoke.

Jim


Thanks for the kind words Jim! That set up really works very well and it's super cheap to make. Unfortunately, I have run out of .223 casings, however, I have a shit load of golf tees! LOL!

Johnny

Were you the one selling similar ones on ebay not too long ago?


No, that was not me! I have never sold any tampers on eBay.

Johnny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyO

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Sacramento, CA
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Tamping Large Bowl   Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:03 pm

ah, the guy wanted like $5 or so for a shell with a sharpened piece of wood stuck in it...now that I think about it, it might have been a 7.62x39 shell but whatevs...your idea sounds better Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Tamping Large Bowl
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» 400 Bad Request - Request Header Or Cookie Too Large
» Bowl of Chilli
» words within words
» My big family needs forks -- cutlery thief tells judge
» Mighty Big Asteroid Heading Our Way !!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: