HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Penzance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
derlict311

Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Penzance   Sat May 28, 2011 11:34 pm

Before today I have never smoked Penzance and easily threw the prospect of doing so into the "who care?" bin. Today I went to a local B&M tobacco shop. They had in stock, much to my surprise, some Penzance. I grabbed an 8 oz. bag and started smoking it immediately. Wow! After two large Bartoli bowls, I can say it is something special. Just wondering what other think of Penzance, why it is so rare, what are some ways to age it well (if you can wait) and other general thoughts on this beautiful creation. Salute! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onabullit

Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Sun May 29, 2011 2:36 am

penzance has become stuff of legend. Rightly so as there is really no substitute. The latakia used in this blend is unique to Esoterica I believe. If you like this, try Margate b/c is has a similar latakia undertone, more subdued.

Every few months our e-tailers have this stuff in stock, 8 oz seems to go a long way for me, as it is not an everyday smoke. even though it's usually quite cheaper in bulk, I recommend tins as they age and store better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Sun May 29, 2011 9:26 am

I bought a couple of the 8 oz bags, and both bags had holes in them. Jarring the contents seems like a good idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Sun May 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Not to be a negative Nancy, but I find myself moving away from Latakia forward blends such as Penzance. Just not where my tastes are at these days.

More for y'all....

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:08 am

Brewdude wrote:
Not to be a negative Nancy, but I find myself moving away from Latakia forward blends such as Penzance. Just not where my tastes are at these days.

More for y'all....

Cheers,

RR
I agree, don't understand the infacination with this blend, to me, just another lat bomb.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
prosmoking

Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Yes, I also found Penzance to be a wonderful smoke.
Yes, my tastes do change but they swing from Virginia to heavy Latakia, so have to keep some of each and all in between.
If you like heavy Latakia, try Ten Russians.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.rimkuspipes.com
cakeanddottle

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:59 pm

I have to smoke more of it to form a full opinion, but my first impressions are that it's just "ok". I prefer Commonwealth, Squadron Leader, Cambridge Flake and 3 Oaks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cakeanddottle.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:14 pm

Smoker99 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

More for y'all....

Cheers,

RR
I agree, don't understand the infacination with this blend, to me, just another lat bomb.

Just to be clear, I don't intend to demean this blend as it's a classic. And I've enjoyed it and have some on board when the time is right.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke, It's all good!

Cheers,

RR

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:34 am

I know I'm going to come across as a newbie who's just discovered that the world is round, or that politicians don't really have our best interests at heart, but this Penzance stuff is great! I'm tempted to say that it's everything that people say it is, and more. Cliches like "velvety smooth" and "cool and dry" come to mind because I can't think of any original ways to describe it. I'm glad that I had to wait a while to experience it, because I don't think I would have appreciated it without some control subjects to compare it to. That and I probably wouldn't have known what to do with it in the first place.
This stuff just tastes...amazing. The richest latakia flavor I've had the pleasure to enjoy, delivered in a thick, smooth smoke.
I'm looking forward to trying other quality blenders now, like Pease, and S.Gawith (if I can find some)cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:45 am

Been my favorite since the first puff bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pipe>Cigar

Registration date : 2011-08-09

PostSubject: Penzance is flavor champion   Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:36 pm

I remember the first time I smoked Penzance. Up until then all I'd had were those dime-adozen drugstore candy jar blends like "hobbit weed" and "wild cherry".

I decided to go online to see if anybody reviewed pipe tobaccos and saw Penzance getting rave reviews on tobaccoreviews.com. So I ordered some up and had it shipped to my friend's house, since my parents were strongly anti-tobacco.

So my friend calls me up and I hear him puffing on the other line and he is like "oh my god dude...oh my god".
"Did the Penzance tin come today?" I ask.
"It sure did"
"Is it good?"
"Oh my god dude...oh my god...it is the best thing I ever smoked".

I get to his house as fast as I can to try the stuff and MAN...NOTHING I've had has been that flavorful, the smoke was RICH and THICK, you get it burning and it starts to taste like mulled coffee...it was at that point that I decided that Pipes were better than Cigars.

I've had Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Frog Morton on the Bayou (and Town). G.L. Pease Fog city, Solani Virginia Flake, and Kramer's Father Dempsey Blend. I'm still on the hunt for the tobacco that will unseat Penzance as flavor champion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onabullit

Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:09 am

It is truly a spiritual voyage every time match meets penzance in my briars. The smoke just seems to carry you off to a dark and mystical place, cant wait to take it on a camping trip in the winter time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derlict311

Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Quintessentially English    Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:46 pm

I have enjoyed reading all your comments on Penzance. For me, it is a now and again smoke, mostly because it is soooo rich. I have had the best luck with it when I haven't smoked yet today or at least minimally. If I don't follow this requirement my buds are too flat to taste the layers of joy Penzance offers.

I have two jars of Penzance aging that I hope can make it a couple years before I pop the tops. I would love to get a handful of 2 ounce tins. One thing that is frustrating with it is the lack of availability. Anyway, enjoy and thanks for your thoughts. Keep em' coming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cakeanddottle

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:25 pm

I've smoked a lot more of this since my initial comment and I now have 2 pounds in the cellar.

First of all, no tobacco can live up to the hype surrounding Penzance. Once you get over the initial realization that you won't see unicorns and piss champagne after smoking this, this blend is really really good. Not the Holy Grail perhaps, but it hits on more cylinders than most Lat blends. It is smoky, briny, has some sour tanginess, and has a smoking quality that some might describe as creamy but I think is really closer to the dry finish of an exceptionally arid white wine. Most of all, there is balance. This is a homogenous whole, not just a choir of disparate elements trying to take the spotlight.

It isn't the best Lat blend I'll ever smoke, but it's probably the best overall Lat blend I've smoked. I wish it were a little fuller, but it's a damn fine medium to medium-full English in my book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cakeanddottle.com
Pipe>Cigar

Registration date : 2011-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:40 pm

cakeanddottle wrote:
First of all, no tobacco can live up to the hype surrounding Penzance.

That's why I'm glad it was THE FIRST tinned tobacco I ever tried.

cakeanddottle wrote:
Once you get over the initial realization that you won't see unicorns and piss champagne after smoking this, this blend is really really good. Not the Holy Grail perhaps

Don't just tease us! What is the holy Grail?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigarstorejay

Registration date : 2011-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:10 pm

cakeanddottle wrote:
I've smoked a lot more of this since my initial comment and I now have 2 pounds in the cellar.

First of all, no tobacco can live up to the hype surrounding Penzance. Once you get over the initial realization that you won't see unicorns and piss champagne after smoking this, this blend is really really good. Not the Holy Grail perhaps

I totally pissed sparkling wine though. Boy was that an experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 pm

It's a hype worthy blend, to say the least. I don't usually like falling victim to hype, but in this case, I don't mind so much. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:54 pm

I just smoked my first bowl, thanks to the kindness of a NY pipe smoker. Count me in the fan club. Just enough latakia to make it interesting. I wouldn't describe it as a "lat bomb" at all. My sample came rubbed, maybe that was the difference?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dottleman

Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:35 pm

I guess everyone has their favorite. With me it's been Penzance since I first tried it. I suppose I'm just a Latakia fiend, but there's something about it...
Richard Carlton Hacker said it best when he said you need a blend you can always return to on days when you just can't tolerate any more surprises. Now that you've developed a taste for the stuff, you'll have a devil of a time keeping any on hand Very Happy I was fortunate enough to grab it up by the pound when I lived in Charleston and so I have a pretty good cellar of it right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Faders in Baltimore had a 8-9 stack of bags in their humidor room. I grabbed half a pound, started my day with some this morning and might just end the day that way as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinP

Registration date : 2011-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:00 pm

riff raff wrote:
I just smoked my first bowl, thanks to the kindness of a NY pipe smoker. Count me in the fan club. Just enough latakia to make it interesting. I wouldn't describe it as a "lat bomb" at all. My sample came rubbed, maybe that was the difference?

I agree with this. I tried for the first time a while back and quite liked it, but I don't get the 'lat bomb' label at all. I found it mid strength and very balanced.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
operaguy2570

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:22 pm

In a large diameter bowl, smoked slowly with a very small combustion zone this blend is one of the sweetest tasting modern latakia blends I know. Smoking in smallish bowl geometry and overheating the tobacco upon lighting seems to bring the latakia forward and repress the flavor of everything else going on in the blend. We should always remember the importance of bowl geometry and the thermodynamics involved to coax the maximum flavor from the tobacco with a minimum amount of heat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anthony

Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:42 pm

It sincerely saddens my heart to see that Penzance is getting hard to find. I went through at least four pounds of it while overseas.

Let me tell you, there wasn't a feeling in the world like sitting on top of one of Saddam Hussein's palaces kicked back in a chair at midnight watching the little flashes of explosions in the distance while smoking a bowl of Penzance. To me that is the equivalent of seeing unicorns and pissing champagne.

Since the other day when I saw here and on the e-tailers how hard Penzance is to find... I managed to come across a tin of the stuff left over from a couple deployments ago (2008-2009). It's pretty near close to bone dry, but I'm going to try to take it for a run to see if it's salvageable.

Next paycheck is going to go to whatever tins/bags of the blend I can find.

Oh, and @operaguy 2570, agreed and agreed. I've tried it in a number of bowls, but larger has always proved for a more intricate smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smokey422

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:55 pm

It's been a long time since I smoked any Penzance but I enjoyed it a lot and gave it a good review on tobaccoreviews.com. I agree it's not a Lat bomb at all, when I think Lat bomb I think of Pirate Kake and Old Ironsides. There are just so many great English blends on the market right now that I can't say that I'm missing Penzance a lot.

Smokey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Penzance   Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:49 pm

My first, and so far only, tin of Penzance was given to me as a 60th b'day present. I loved Bengal Slices and am happy to find, now and then, something that comes close along with Lancers Slices. NOT that I'm comparing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Penzance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: What Are You Smoking Right Now?-
Jump to: