HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Tobacco seems to taste better in the wild?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Tobacco seems to taste better in the wild?   Sun May 29, 2011 1:04 pm

I just returned from a canoe trip on Isle Royale NP and for some reason I don't understand, every pipe I had was wonderful, down to the last ash of dottle. I had about two dozen baggies of different tobaccos with me and had two to three bowls a day, and everyone was fantastic.

The food didn't seem any better than normal, I wasn't feeling any better than normal (other than being in a wonderful place rather than work), the bourbon didn't seem any better than usual, but the tobacco was exceptional.

The only aspect I noticed as different than the past 30+ years I've been going up there was that for almost three days, Superior was calmer than I've ever seen it,

(the Isle is about 20 miles from the Canadian Shore and over 70 miles from the U.S. shore line, so it's usually quite rough), and we never saw a moose! The Isle in known for it's moose & wolf populations and although are both are down notable this year, in two weeks I normally would see one to ten moose a day, every day. This I took as a bad sign.

Natch

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco seems to taste better in the wild?   Sun May 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Better water = better beer flavor.

Better air = better smoke flavor.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco seems to taste better in the wild?   Sun May 29, 2011 1:50 pm

I think everything tastes better outside. When I lived with my grandfather he'd cook eggs and bacon and toast just about every day but for some reason it takes better when we're out in 10*F temperature out on a frozen lake ice fishing. The only different is that he's cooking it on a coleman stove instead of the kitchen stove. Same pan, same eggs, same bacon, same bread, it just tastes better. Damnit, now the 90*F weather i'm sitting in now is pissing me off even more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco seems to taste better in the wild?   Sun May 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing your trip with us Natch.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco seems to taste better in the wild?   Sun May 29, 2011 2:12 pm

I've often found that environment is a large part of my smoking enjoyment. All of my most memorable smokes, be they cigar or pipe, all shared a common element: a relaxing, outdoor setting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco seems to taste better in the wild?   Sun May 29, 2011 3:58 pm

Wow!! Itīs beautiful up there!

I notice that tobacco tastes better in the great outdoors too. Perhaps itīs the fresh air, or the change of environment which heightens your senses? Dunno, but I know that any smoke I have up in mountains is memorable! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Tobacco seems to taste better in the wild?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1