HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

? about 5 piece reamer set

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bulldog Bruce

Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: ? about 5 piece reamer set   Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:33 pm

Anybody familiar with the '5 Piece Multi-Fit Tobacco Pipe Reamer Tool Set'? It can be viewed @ Pipestuff.com under pipe tools. I have a senior pipe reamer which is adjustable, but it doesn't get the bottom of the bowl well at all. Not sure about that plastic T-handle on this Multi, but pretty sure if it busted, a socket will fit those reamer bits. They look like they will do a better job on the bottom of the bowl. I know, sandpaper and a dowel or drill bit, but I'm lazy. pig The senior only opens to about 7/8 also, which isn't quite enough for a couple of these pipes I have, although they are so big they may be for trade one of these days. Any feedback?

Bulldog Bruce

Never Forget!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: ? about 5 piece reamer set   Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:09 pm

It looks to be the same one I use

I use the one from The Gray fox
It works very well I have reamed out the wood on a bowl that was badly ovaled and never had a problem

http://www.grayfoxonline.com/images/fourwaytee.jpg
Back to top Go down
glpease
Dark Lord

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: ? about 5 piece reamer set   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:42 pm

If one of the reamer heads fits the bowl, they work great. But, with only four sizes to choose from, there will always be pipes they don't fit. And, it's possible to over-ream easily and dig into wood if you mis-judge the taper of the bowl.

I use the Savinelli triangular reamer, but don't usually recommend it. I've seen a lot of bowls damaged from overzealous application of this tool; it's got to be used with care and caution, but it's the only thing that I know of that will work in any pipe, and will allow careful re-shaping of the cake at the bottom of the bowl.

I agree that the Senior is a great idea, but it can leave a dimple at the bottom of the bowl where it's blades don't meet. It's perfect for those who rarely smoke to the bottom. Wink

I've got an old reamer with four thin, slightly flexible blades that are sprung at the top, and joined at the bottom. The idea is that it will self-adjust to any pipe, providing the bowl's contour isn't excessively tapered. It's a great idea, but in application, it falls a little short.

There have been dozens of new-fangled reamers, and they all seem to disappear almost as quickly as they appear. The fact that the Pipe-Net, t-handled reamer has been on the market continually for a couple decades is a testament to the fact that it does, at least in some pipes, perhaps most pipes, work well. The price is certainly right!

-glp
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
thomas james
Italian Stallion

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: ? about 5 piece reamer set   Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:08 pm

There's a good market here. It can't be that hard.

I'm sure that PSPR&R can come up with something. Probably already has and is holding out on us.

The Arabs probably bought the technology like they did with the water carbureter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldog Bruce

Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: pipe Reamers   Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Dave, thats the same set-up I was looking @. Not sure if same manufacturer or not. G.L. has got a point about them not being adjustable, but will come closer than anything else I've personally seen to fitting most pipes, and I do like the way they will shape bottom of bowl. Thanks for tips G.L., I havn't damaged a pipe yet, but _have_ screwed up a few harley parts($$$) in the past. I plan on being extremely gentle. By the way Greg, will be trying my first G.L. Pease tobac. this PM, Filmore, first time for a Va-per also. I'll let ya know what my novice taste-buds think. Smile

Bd Bruce
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: ? about 5 piece reamer set   Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:42 pm

GL is right it wont fit all pipes
Thats why I keep a reaming knife around made from a reshaped old fishing knife you have to be carefull but it works
Back to top Go down

? about 5 piece reamer set
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1