HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TommyGun76

Registration date : 2011-05-26

PostSubject: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:15 am

Hi all I'm Tom ,

22 year cig smoker , than I found the electronic cigarette been cig free for almost 3 years than I was given some Swedish Snus and that started something new in the baccy world for me and it progressed into nasal snuff and then to a bit of chewing tobacco which I really didn't care for spitting is something I don't enjoy having to do .

I had ordered some Samuel Gawith Finest Kendal Twist Black as I thought it may have been the same as oliver twist chewing bits in a way and was wrong on that so I bought a really cheap junk corn cob from a corner store and enjoyed it so I went and got myself another higher grade of corn cob a MM from a local tobacconist and a medico esquire bent pipe and a pouch of a house blend called Executive blend which was great .

Well as will all new hobbies I jump right in full boar , tomorrow I will have these goodies coming in :

St. Patricks Day 2008 (05) Fishtail , Vanilla Cream 100g , Cherry Ambrosia 100g , Bob's Chocolate Flake ,Sherlock Holmes 50g

I just got a assortment of Cobs from MM 9 in total a couple of their hardwoods , and then picked up the ebay bug and got myself a couple of pipe racks and some estate pipes included in the racks , and then just tonight I hope I scored a great deal on a Peterson dublin billiard Silver spigot

So for now I think I have enough pipes to last me a good while Smile Just need to order up more Tobacco's

I did pick up a sampler pack from the Tobacco barn website of 5 different aromatics and 5 english blends and really liking those also just can't wait to finally get some tins

well my little hi all ramble is done for now Cheers all !!!

Tom
Back to top Go down
View user profile
djf1

Registration date : 2011-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:46 am

Welcome! Sure nice evening we have tonight, hope you are out there too enjoying a smoke!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sandmanhotels.ca
Smokntaz

Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:27 am

Hey Tom, welcome from the Tri-City!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TommyGun76

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:54 am

any tips on where to get any tobacco locally ?? been ordering from smokingpipes.com and thinking about doing a cupojoes.com order soon I'm gonna have a ton of pipes coming in the mail and need lots of baccy to fill them Smile

Also breaking in my new Peterson St Pats edition tomorrow , any tips on breaking in a new pipe ??

Just had a nice bowl of griders english delight from tobbaco barn , but the small MM eaton pipes kinda suck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metropolmodern

Registration date : 2011-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:59 am

Hello & welcome to BoB! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/metropolismodern
djf1

Registration date : 2011-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:51 am

TommyGun76 wrote:
any tips on where to get any tobacco locally ?? been ordering from smokingpipes.com and thinking about doing a cupojoes.com order soon I'm gonna have a ton of pipes coming in the mail and need lots of baccy to fill them Smile

Also breaking in my new Peterson St Pats edition tomorrow , any tips on breaking in a new pipe ??

Out of curiosity, the tobacco you order, does it arrive at your house or you pick it up across the border? If it arrives at your house, do you get dinged with all that tax?

Locally ( Vancouver) I buy at city cigar. If I have time to cross border shopping then I go here: http://www.fairhavensmokes.com/

I like both shops, city cigar has some good and very friendly people so I buy from them as I want to support them, but our CAD prices are a joke with all that tax piled on, so I try to visit fairhaven on occasion and order from 4noggins which I pick up at Point Roberts;

Re braking a pipe, you can do a search on this board and find lots of info. Sometimes opinions vary, I fill it up half way and smoke it slowly for the first 3-4 bowls, then fill it up 3/4's and smoke it slowly as well. After a couple of bowls I dont pay attention any more, but lately I have ended up filling my pipes at 3/4 full and find that I can smoke to the bottom, also protecting the rim from charring.

Hope that helps;
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sandmanhotels.ca
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:46 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TommyGun76

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:18 pm

djf1 wrote:
TommyGun76 wrote:

Out of curiosity, the tobacco you order, does it arrive at your house or you pick it up across the border? If it arrives at your house, do you get dinged with all that tax?

Locally ( Vancouver) I buy at city cigar. If I have time to cross border shopping then I go here: http://www.fairhavensmokes.com/

I like both shops, city cigar has some good and very friendly people so I buy from them as I want to support them, but our CAD prices are a joke with all that tax piled on, so I try to visit fairhaven on occasion and order from 4noggins which I pick up at Point Roberts;

Re braking a pipe, you can do a search on this board and find lots of info. Sometimes opinions vary, I fill it up half way and smoke it slowly for the first 3-4 bowls, then fill it up 3/4's and smoke it slowly as well. After a couple of bowls I dont pay attention any more, but lately I have ended up filling my pipes at 3/4 full and find that I can smoke to the bottom, also protecting the rim from charring.

Hope that helps;

I pick up my things in Sumas Wa , don't want the CBSA to get any of my hard earned soon to be up in smoke money Laughing

I found out the hard way not to ship any tobacco into Canada ordering Snus my last snus order I got hit with $190 duty on a 20 can order that I paid $24 dollars for
and I have only bought one pouch of sheffield and sons house blend and won't be purchasing anymore local $25 for 50g is CRAZY !!!

thanks for the link to 4noggins will place a order with them shortly as I like that they ship USPS still , other companies all use UPS and that is the slowest POS service out there , does your ground packages really have to make stops at 10 depots all along it's route just to show you on the tracking how slow ground service is , and the prices for expedited shipping are just nutz also !!

do you get dinged any duty going to point Roberts ??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Welcome. Try as many different tobaccos as you can, you'll find some you'll love, some you won't, but all in all it's a wonderful voyage.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Welcome Tommy. Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations with the local Gendarmes but it looks like you've found a way around it.

I'll look forward to your posts on BoB!

Cheers,

RR

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:35 pm

Welcome, Tom, to the world of BOB. There is lots of discussion here on Break in and maintenance of he cake once it is established.
Looks like you are off to a good start. Don't give up. This hobby requires a lot of trial and error experiments. Lots of help is here.

Enjoy! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack Howard

Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:26 am

Welcome! I'm not sure if you're already aware, but there's an active pipe club in Vancouver.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TommyGun76

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)    Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:32 am

well the new Peterson smokes great !! all my other pipes smoke like trash compared to it , mabye it just my pack method but I had the smoothest best burning smoke out of the new pete .

Can't wait to get the higher end silver spigot and see if that is better than my cheap St pats edition , not what I expected in quality but it a excellent smoker the MM hardwoods and cobs can sometimes give me a good smoke but the drilling and draft holes are crap compared to the better pipes , I have 10 estates coming in so I hope they aren't to dirty and smoke well
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Howdy from Vancouver B.c. (Fraser Valley)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Welcome Wagon-
Jump to: