HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Air hole is too large -- How to decrease?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
forsooth

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Air hole is too large -- How to decrease?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:38 pm

I have a rather large pipe with what seems to be an overly generous air hole. I'd like to do something to decrease the draw. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Air hole is too large -- How to decrease?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:33 am

Shank, stem, or both?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

PostSubject: Re: Air hole is too large -- How to decrease?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:40 am

Yes, both. The stem is vulcanite, if this makes any difference.

I was thinking that there might be something that could be inserted into the shank to impede the draw. (The pipe is a non-filter type.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Air hole is too large -- How to decrease?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 am

Lining both the stem and shank with a stainless steel tube is possible if the stem is straight. If the stem is bent, you'll need a new stem in addition to an ss tube in the shank.

Not every specimen will allow the tube/lining trick (it's a geometry thing), but most will.

Neither affects the taste of the smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Air hole is too large -- How to decrease?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:58 am

LL wrote:
Lining both the stem and shank with a stainless steel tube is possible if the stem is straight. If the stem is bent, you'll need a new stem in addition to an ss tube in the shank.

Not every specimen will allow the tube/lining trick (it's a geometry thing), but most will.

Neither affects the taste of the smoke.

Very innovative! Never would have thunk that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

PostSubject: Re: Air hole is too large -- How to decrease?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:28 am

Hmmm....Stainless steel tube...where might I get something like that? I'll give it a try.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Air hole is too large -- How to decrease?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:27 am

forsooth wrote:
Hmmm....Stainless steel tube...where might I get something like that? I'll give it a try.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#tubing/=cokq1q
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Air hole is too large -- How to decrease?   Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:04 am

Unless the airway is tremendously huge, like let's take 3/16" as maybe being a functional maximum at the bowl, you can control the way the pipe smokes just by packing a tiny bit tighter than you normally would.

I have a Ser Jac with an absolutely silly airway - one of this curved drilling setups, and it's probably 5/16". I was shocked when I got the pipe and almost sent it back. But I thought "well, these guys probably know what they are doing" and loaded up a big wad, and the pipe smokes fine, but you certainly can pull any amount of air through it that you want, and in a sense, it takes a slightly different technique to smoke it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Air hole is too large -- How to decrease?   Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Had this problem with the one and only Dunhill I've ever owned. Draft hole was just way too big and had a bugger of a time getting the bowl to burn properly, despite trying to pack firmer and such.

The only conclusion I came to was the diameter was far too large and just couldn't reckon it up, being as Dunhill had this reputation for QC and so forth.

Ended up selling it off for a big loss (~25% on the $). Perhaps I should've sent it back to Dunhill or had a pipesmith look at it. Yet sometimes it's also better to cut your loss and move on.

Lesson learned......

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online

Air hole is too large -- How to decrease?
Page 1 of 1