HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Like others, I took the MM MacArthur and cut the bowl down to match that of the MM General and put a wood plug in the bottom. Sorry no 'before' pics, but most of you know what they look like anyway.

Actually made it quite a functional (and more proportionate) pipe, and I like Churchwardens anyway...

I cut exactly 1" off of the top, and about 3/8" off the bottom. Since the stem doesn't protrude into the bowl very much at all (now), this was more than enough to give it a solid bottom that shouldn't burn through.

(If this needs to be in the 'DIY' section, please move it there Mods)...

Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden Dsc00013

Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden Dsc00011

Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden Dsc00012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 2:18 am

Nicely done Rob. I've always seen the MacArthur as a novelty pipe, but your surgery has transformed it into a pipe that I'd consider smoking now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
Dillon

Dillon

Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:05 am

Looking good. I bought a MacArthur about a month ago that I still haven't smoked, and this post made me realize I would be making a churchwarden (which I've wanted for a while) out of it, so I might as well do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inshane64

inshane64

Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 4:27 am

Your thread inspired me, making one of these will be my next project!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 9:53 am

Cool looking churchwarden... goes great with your Jed avatar! I would love to make one for myself, but I am totally lacking in the skills to do it. For me, I might just as well buy a MacArthur and throw it in the trash when it arrives, because after my modification that is where it would end up.

Anyway, that is a really nice looking pipe. Good work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 7:05 pm

Simple Man wrote:
For me, I might just as well buy a MacArthur and throw it in the trash when it arrives, because after my modification that is where it would end up.

When you get one, send it to me and i'll ship it back to you converted and ready to smoke. No charge for the conversion, and I don't mind doing it. It does smoke pretty well, though I don't use it often.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 7:29 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Simple Man wrote:
For me, I might just as well buy a MacArthur and throw it in the trash when it arrives, because after my modification that is where it would end up.

When you get one, send it to me and i'll ship it back to you converted and ready to smoke. No charge for the conversion, and I don't mind doing it. It does smoke pretty well, though I don't use it often.

Wow! Thank you. I will take you up on your offer. I just bought a LOT of pipes so I'll have to wait a few weeks, but I'm definitely wanting to do that. Thanks again.

Jack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
danindayton

danindayton

Registration date : 2012-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 1:45 pm

I like it. Should be a nice loooong, cool smoke. I'm going to give it a try.

danindayton
ilurkalot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlanJohn

AlanJohn

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Church wardens.   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 12:59 pm

You made a good job on that corncob. Nice churchwarden now. Well done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrtaster

Registration date : 2009-10-23

PostSubject: permanent churchwarden stems   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 2:22 pm

this topic reminded me to ask: which piipe repair shop manufactures those nice " permanent" lucite stems for missouri meerschaum pipes..including a churchwarden model??? thanks, jr/john
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Wed May 02, 2012 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inshane64

inshane64

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 10:35 pm

I just got a churchwarden "forever stem" from walker briar for my cobs. I love it but it does have a tendency to... I think the phrase is gargle, ( or at least do what I think people refer to as gargle.).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inshane64

inshane64

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:38 pm

I finally got a picture of my forever stem from Walker Briar Works. It currently rests with my Great Dane spool.

Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden IMG_1587
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:53 pm

That's really awesome. I'd love to turn a few cobs into 'wardens with those stems. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 8:44 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
That's really awesome. I'd love to turn a few cobs into 'wardens with those stems. Cool

Yeah, me too! I need to convert a few more. Now i'll have to order a couple of those stems for my Diplomats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlanJohn

AlanJohn

PostSubject: Another meershaum missouri churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 9:25 am

Those long stems make a great conversion for the corn cobs. Wish I coujld get those stems here in blighty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stormwulf133

stormwulf133

Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 pm

Would love to be able to modify a cob like than and then add a long churchwarden stem to the already long wooden one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:02 am

Rob's quite the handyman with his cobs. I hear he's building a Huck Finn type raft out of all the bits he's sawed off it his quest for the perfect cob.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlanJohn

AlanJohn

PostSubject: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 6:00 am

I have discovered on ebay where I can get the long sems and have made a churchwarden from mulberry wood and have another stem to make my next churchwarden.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stormwulf133

stormwulf133

Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 2:26 pm

AlanJohn wrote:
I have discovered on ebay where I can get the long sems and have made a churchwarden from mulberry wood and have another stem to make my next churchwarden.

Im very interested to see what you are going to make. I am obsessed with churchwarden pipes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlanJohn

AlanJohn

PostSubject: Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden   Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 5:15 am

Now,if I could remember how to put a picture here, I would show you one I have made. Still thinking Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Another Missouri Meerschaum Churchwarden
Page 1 of 1