HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Virginia suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
joequo

Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Virginia suggestions?   Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:54 am

skaukatt wrote:
Of course I may be a little partial to these but trust me, just try them I don't think you will be disappointed:

For an all Virgina blend try the NYPC's Bowling Green Virginia Cake.

If it's a VaPer you crave try our Bedloe's Island Vaper Oriental.

I think they are both exceptional tobaccos, blended for us by Russ Oulette of the Hearth and Home series of tobaccos and over two years of trial and error (error on our part not Russ!).

They can be purchased exclusively at http://www.pipesandcigars.com/newyopiclbl.html

Those look neat! I'll be sure to look into them!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmitzbitz

Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Virginia suggestions?   Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:04 pm

skaukatt wrote:
Of course I may be a little partial to these but trust me, just try them I don't think you will be disappointed:

For an all Virgina blend try the NYPC's Bowling Green Virginia Cake.

If it's a VaPer you crave try our Bedloe's Island Vaper Oriental.

I think they are both exceptional tobaccos, blended for us by Russ Oulette of the Hearth and Home series of tobaccos and over two years of trial and error (error on our part not Russ!).

They can be purchased exclusively at http://www.pipesandcigars.com/newyopiclbl.html

I'll attest to the quality of the four NYPC blends; I was fortunate enough to receive samples of each from Bill prior to the Chicago show - and have to admit to calling up Russ to pre-order healthy amounts of both the Bedloe' Island and Hells Kitchen Balkan.

Another, very surpising straight Virginia flake that has really been tickling my fancy lately is from, of all places, Altadis. Marketed under the "Benjamin Hartwell" branding, "Signature Blend" is an exceptional flake featuring extremely high quality Red and Lemon Va's, pressed and stoved into a surprisingly complex and sweet flavour profile. Also, there does not seem to be any of the dreaded PG that Altadis loves so involved in the creation of this blend; in appearance, tin aroma and texture, it would very easily be mistaken for something from the McClelland offerings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zjgilbert

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Virginia suggestions?   Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:29 am

mdavis12 wrote:
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some good Virginias to smoke. I have REALLY been into Orlik Golden Sliced so if anyone has any suggestions on some tasty virginias please leave them, and I will be sure to pick them up. I am making a run to my local tobacconist tomorrow.

I doubt you can find any still on the shelves from last year, and it's probably too early this year, but get some of McClellands Christmas Cheer whenever you see it. It's a yearly unique tobacco they put out a few months before Christmas. It's all pressed Virginias. I typically don't smoke it any time of year other than late fall into the winter, but it's definitely worth looking into.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccoreviews.com/reviewer_detail.cfm?UID=7802
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Virginia suggestions?   Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:41 am

zjgilbert wrote:
mdavis12 wrote:
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some good Virginias to smoke. I have REALLY been into Orlik Golden Sliced so if anyone has any suggestions on some tasty virginias please leave them, and I will be sure to pick them up. I am making a run to my local tobacconist tomorrow.

I doubt you can find any still on the shelves from last year, and it's probably too early this year, but get some of McClellands Christmas Cheer whenever you see it. It's a yearly unique tobacco they put out a few months before Christmas. It's all pressed Virginias. I typically don't smoke it any time of year other than late fall into the winter, but it's definitely worth looking into.

I've got a couple of tins of the 2011 version which I'm smoking very sparingly. It's one of the finest virginias I've ever had the privilege to load in a pipe of mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Virginia suggestions?   Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Aged Christmas Cheer is the schiznet! Got some '04 going right now!

cheers

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
derlict311

Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Virginia suggestions?   Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:58 pm

joequo wrote:
I don't find myself craving Virginias too often but I do enjoy some McClelland's Dark Star when I do.

I don't always smoke Virginias, but when I do I smoke FVF all the time. (Dos Equies reference, get it). Anyway, you can't throw a dead cat without finding some straight virginia worth smoking. Solani SF, Dunhill Flake, Christmas Cheer, Blackwoods, FVF (if you like it "fuller"). The list is a mile long. Va/Pers are currently on my radar so I partake in straight virginias less frequently than last week (haha). I am smoking Christmas Cheer as I write this....guuuuuuud.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Virginia suggestions?   Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Mozjo33 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
This thread needs some more input Razz For me, my favorite STRAIGHT Virginias are all domestically made from those folks up in Kansas City. The more I smoke 'em, the more appreciation I get for this particular variety of "that nasty weed " Razz
My four faves are:
Virginia Woods for a ready rubbed ribbon cut
Matured Virginia #27 is my fave broken flake
Blackwoods Flake runs #27 for a close second
Matured Virginia #22 is another good broken flake.

Let's see what others like . Remember, STRAIGHT Virginias ONLY Razz

Question for you Monbla, does either Virginia Woods or Blackwoods have high "N" content. I really don't like getting hit with an N bomb and I want to expand my horizons a little more.

My favorite by far is Matured Virginia #25. Since I've only been smoking straight VA for about 6 mos, I really don't have an indepth list as I am still trying and learning. My next purchase is going to be #22. As I type this, I'm smoking some MC 5100, although I'm not sure if it's a straight or blend. I'm really enjoying it.

I've not found many st. va's to be terribbly high in nic except for Dunhill's Royal Yacht which has a BIG nic punch to it ! I'd have to add two other Va's to my list, Erinmore Flake and Dunhill's Flake, two GREAT Va Flake blend/mixtures IMHO Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anthonyx2b

Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Virginia suggestions?   Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 pm

go to pipesandcigars.com and get some of their Mississippi River tobacco!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Anthonyx2b@gmail.com
ArchaggelosPipes

Registration date : 2011-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Virginia suggestions?   Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:47 pm

If you're looking for easy and all-day smoking take a look at Old Gowrie and Dunhill Flake

But If you want a nicotine kick, try Dunhill Royal Yacht in a group4 pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Virginia suggestions?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3