HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Helmet law

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:41 pm

I don't ride a motorcycle, but I still think adults should be allowed to make their own decisions.
http://beta.news.yahoo.com/ny-motorcyclist-dies-ride-protesting-helmet-law-143217859.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeroWolfe

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:24 pm

I agree as well, as long as those who decide to ride without a helmet and are injured in a crash do not expect me as a taxpayer to underwrite the implications of their decision for a lifetime of medical care, etc. as a result of injuries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Ironic.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:24 pm

If you hit a moose here in Maine the helmet doesn't help too much. We don't have a helmet law, but as Nero said, the taxpayers shouldn't be held responsible for someone's lack of judgement covering medical costs that could have possibly been avoided.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:18 pm

NeroWolfe wrote:
I agree as well, as long as those who decide to ride without a helmet and are injured in a crash do not expect me as a taxpayer to underwrite the implications of their decision for a lifetime of medical care, etc. as a result of injuries.

Absolutely! Responsibility for one's actions and decisions are essential.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
msmith1956

Registration date : 2011-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:23 pm

NeroWolfe wrote:

I agree as well. I used to ride, and would never think of riding without a helmet. I also think the same should apply to seatbelt use in a car... don't make me pay for your poor decisions if you're in a crash. I know first-hand that a seatbelt makes good sense... I was saved by wearing one way back in the '70's before anyone ever thought about making it mandatory to wear them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/w4mms
Vercer

Registration date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:25 pm

The biggest problem I see as a rider who has lived in states both with, and without helmet laws is simply that the requirements for a DOT approved helmet (the standard used for the various helmet laws in the states) is set so low as to be nearly useless anyway.

It's only required to cover the top and back of the head and withstand a collision of at least 15mph. That's right, only 15mph!

Let's say I'm travelling down the highway at an average speed, say 65-70mph and I come loose. I'm still going to take a 50-55mph impact to my head. Even at city speeds of 30-45 mph it's unlikely that the above DOT helmet is going to do much good. This is all assuming a single vehicle crash as well. If we add a car into the equation then the forces change dramatically.

Also realize that an ill fitting helmet, either too large or too small, can actually be as bad or worse than no helmet at all due to the likelyhood of it shifting around in the case of a too large lid, or the headaches and distractions caused by a too small lid.

Personally when I'm in states that require helmets I wear them, when in states that don't, I may or may not depending on things such as weather and traffic. Very few things suck worse than being caught in a rainstorm without a full face helmet Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Interesting posting. I've walked away uninjured from two serious accidents. I had a classic 1976 Harley Electra Glide Liberty Edition. A real beauty. I was sideswiped by a careless motorist who crossed the double yellow line to avoid bumper to bumper traffic and who suddenly came upon me head-on. Thankfully I always wore a helmet padded knee pads and leather gloves (even in the summer). I wend down, but, I was saved by this protective gear as well as front and rear safety bars. The bike was repaired but I gave up riding and sold it. I decided to have good memories and live to think about them.

Years later in 2003 I was driving to work in my 1995 Ford Bronco and I was cut off by a careless motorist on the Long Island Expressway on my way to work. Bronco's were notoriously unstable and I found that out after attempting to sharply change lanes and overturning to avoid a front end collision. Fortunately, I was tightly belted and unscathed. My Bronco was totaled but I was able to continue on to work in a borrowed car. The responding cop said "I'll bet I know who'll be getting a new truck." Mine was a new black Ford F250 Crew Cab. Tough, reliable and stable transportation for sure.

I swear by tight seat belts and although I gave up the bike, I would always recommend a helmet. Think of it like this. "How would you feel if you could never ever again enjoy another pipe packed with your favorite blend?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:45 pm

I've always worn a helmet, but hate the idea that I'm required to by law,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:57 pm

WTF! You use common sense. The laws are for the idiots who don't. Just stay safe and ride with pride.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:26 pm

MisterE wrote:
Ironic.....

One guy can see duality. Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:36 pm

Ok.. This one bugs me enough to say more

Does no one here actually hear what they post?
The 'as long as the taxpayer isn't required to pay for poor judgment blah blah blah' is the same mentality that 'They' have used against us on a multitude of taxation policy, social engineering, and various forms of population control..

The Taxpayer has zero obligation for ones personal decisions good or bad, and the state supposedly acting in the citizens interest has no obligation OR right to force one to make what it deems good judgement calls.
The whole thing is bs regardless of whether it's helmets, pipes, seatbelts, music consumption, or whatever. Screw That!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:49 pm

WHAT?????,,,you don't need a babysitter???,,,off to the reeducation center with you,,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:01 pm

puros_bran wrote:

The 'as long as the taxpayer isn't required to pay for poor judgment blah blah blah' is the same mentality that 'They' have used against us on a multitude of taxation policy, social engineering, and various forms of population control..

The Taxpayer has zero obligation for ones personal decisions good or bad, and the state supposedly acting in the citizens interest has no obligation OR right to force one to make what it deems good judgement calls.
The whole thing is bs regardless of whether it's helmets, pipes, seatbelts, music consumption, or whatever. Screw That!!!!!!

Once again, the cool headed voice of reason. Now that's irony!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:03 pm

puros_bran wrote:

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:19 am

I strongly suspect that helmet laws have little to do with the wefare of the citizens that are required to use them. It's more about the insurance companies who will have to shell out for their injuries. I think their attitude is be as stupid as you want, even kill yerself, just as long as it doesnīt result in an insurance claim. As Harlock once said so eloquently, "Itīs all about da Benjamins".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:08 am

This is the land of the free and the home of the brave, but unless we are enlisted fighting a foreign war, we don't get to prove it very often. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:22 am

I'm a biker. Have been most of my life. I don't wear a helment...except at night or when it's raining. Like much of the pseudo-science that gets fed to the public, the truth about helmets doesn't seem to get out...much. I'ts sort of like the anti-smoking campaign. Studies that "prove" smoking causes...anything...get published and put forth for consumption. Studies that do not find a relationship--don't. Helmets are "useful" at speeds less than 20 mph. Above that, the real evidence is pretty mixed. What the "wear your helmet" group never wants mentioned is that at speeds greater than 20, the helmet may well turn you into a quadraplegic...in fact, it probably will. So, they don't mention that aspect of helmets.
Put a helmet on sometime, now bend your head back as far as you can. Can you feel where the helmet meets your neck? That's where it usually breaks your neck in a wreck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:12 am

I've been riding a bike on the street since I was 16 and have always worn a helmet. Maryland had had no helmet law, than restated it about 20 years ago. I'm 5 miles from PA which is a no helmet law state. I still wear one there. BUT, I hate nanny laws more than anything. Once you loose your ability to make choices, you typically don't regain them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:13 am

They are gonna take our small rights one by because nobody is going to take arms over seatbelt or helmet laws, or tobacco taxes for that matter. There going to chipping away at the small things that they know they can get away with till there is no more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:50 pm

We elected them. They work for the ones who demand it.

I'm the problem!!!
I may have to give up reading "Sports Illustrated" and read the constitution.
I may have to decide that CNN, NBC, Fox, Glenn Beck, Oprah and insert name__________, may have ulterior motives and not my family's best intrest at heart.
I could write letters to my Senators, Congressman and other public servants...on all subjects that concern me.
I should probably give up NASCAR and run for the local school board.
I could run for Probate Judge.
I could run for County Commissioner.
I could run for City Council.
I could encorage five people to vote in all elections for one year.
I could vote.
I think I'll drink a beer and just forget it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:59 am

^^^All that to forget might take, what, at least a 6!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gumball

Registration date : 2011-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:32 am

I think that the 'freedom' debate and the 'safety' debate need to be separated out.

As a biker myself, who has come off a couple of times, I very much appreciate a well made and properly fitting helmet, in much the same way that I like proper padded leathers, boots and gloves.

But as a libertarian I do not think these things should be compulsory.

And as a (I hope) decent human being I then bring these two things together and personally decide that if I am going to support individual rights for people to do things that I might not agree with but never the less agree they should be able to do then I am willing to pay through the taxation system in order to fund the necessary health services for them if/when things go wrong.

I am in the UK so I have grown up with comprehensive free-at-the-point-of-delivery health care.

Unfortunately in the UK we don't have a choice over wearing a helmet whilst riding. I can still go rock climbing without any safety equipment though, should I choose to do so Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:05 am

Words of wisdom for sure. As far as the free health care service at the time of delivery, we in the USA have much to learn from our "parent" in the UK when it comes to funding our rights for medical services. Interestingly in the USA helmet laws are individual State laws. You must wear a helmet in New York State but you are free to bang your head in next door in Connecticut. Funny thing is guys want to ride helmetless, but those very same guys go watch football and don't ever expect to see a player without one on. Go figure...I too went down twice and each time I was mighty glad I wore all the safety equipment. Didn't have to miss any pipe smoking time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Helmet law   Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:10 am

Sorry for changing the topic earlier . I also ride and I wear a full face helmet, boots, gloves, and armored jacket even if its a hundred out . Even though its a choice can't help shake my head when I see a guy flying down the interstate with a three hundred dollar helmet , a tank top , shorts , and tennis shoes on . scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com

Helmet law
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next