HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lighting up a new Viprati . . .

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  Empty
PostSubject: Lighting up a new Viprati . . .    Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Bought this Luigi Viprati last Sunday at Cup-of-Joe’s in upper state New York. Just ran two bowls full this afternoon for the first time. The pipe is incredibly light and the mouth piece is very comfortable. The bowl stayed cool and the tobacco tasted as good as if I had been smoking it out of one of my older pipes. I never had a black pipe before and was a little sceptical, but I really liked the shape and look of this one. I know that Castello and Dunhill make a black pipe but I didn’t have to take out a bank loan for this one so I took a chance on it. And I’m glad I did. I have a feeling it will end up as one of my favorites. By the way, I’ve never smoked a half bowl in a new pipe for the first few times. I’ve always filled them up to the top from the get-go. Never had a problem.

Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  Dscn0512

Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  Dscn0513

Here's a picture of Luigi himself.

Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  Luigi_10
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Lighting up a new Viprati . . .    Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Viprati makes some nice pipes, on par with Cavicchi, maybe a tick better (less flaws, much better drilling in the examples I've seen of both). I presently have a couple of Viprati pipes, and re-sold only one that had a horn stem that I didn't like (taste issue, it was gorgeous). Of my two, I have a small group 3 straight billiard sandblast that smokes like a champ (dedicated to GH & co Curlies) and a smooth straight pot (dedicated to English blends, mostly Squadron Leader) that is a superb smoker. About the best thing I can say for them is that, back when I decided to cull my collection back to only the great smokers regardless of cost (plus a few sentimentals that I may not smoke much but can't part with), the Viprati's stayed.

Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Lighting up a new Viprati . . .    Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 7:02 pm

PS, I love the white stem. I've always wanted one.

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Lighting up a new Viprati . . .    Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Cool pic, love the Falcon!
What is it?..."the stuff that dreams are made of..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp7130Bjec4
Back to top Go down
klbxmiller

klbxmiller

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Lighting up a new Viprati . . .    Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 4:00 am

Harlock999 wrote:

Love it Harlock!!!!
and thats a beaut of a pipe!
Back to top Go down
Schacht

Schacht

Registration date : 2011-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Lighting up a new Viprati . . .    Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 5:44 am

Since I think "The Maltese Falcon" is one of Hustons greatest movies and I also love Dashiell Hammett, I just have no choice: this pipe is beautiful, and the pictures as well.

Thanks for showing it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thiloschacht.de/Schachttoene_Studiobilder/index.html
Airborne

PostSubject: Re: Lighting up a new Viprati . . .    Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 8:04 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Viprati makes some nice pipes, on par with Cavicchi, maybe a tick better (less flaws, much better drilling in the examples I've seen of both). I presently have a couple of Viprati pipes, and re-sold only one that had a horn stem that I didn't like (taste issue, it was gorgeous). Of my two, I have a small group 3 straight billiard sandblast that smokes like a champ (dedicated to GH & co Curlies) and a smooth straight pot (dedicated to English blends, mostly Squadron Leader) that is a superb smoker. About the best thing I can say for them is that, back when I decided to cull my collection back to only the great smokers regardless of cost (plus a few sentimentals that I may not smoke much but can't part with), the Viprati's stayed.

Thanks for the comments. By the way, I saw the before and after pictures (weight loss). Fantastic and congratulation on that. I'm sure that took a lot of discipline and hard work. No easy task.
Back to top Go down
Airborne

PostSubject: Re: Lighting up a new Viprati . . .    Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 8:09 am

Harlock999 wrote:

It sure is. After a dozen birds were made for the movie, they were later stored. Someone had a bright idea about 15 years ago to take one of the birds and use it as a mold to make and sell them. I bought one of the first ones on the market. It proudly sits on my desk.

Last edited by Airborne on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Airborne

PostSubject: Re: Lighting up a new Viprati . . .    Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 8:12 am

klbxmiller wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:

Love it Harlock!!!!
and thats a beaut of a pipe!

Thanks for the comment.
I love the Jefferson quote. My wife and I are watching the HBO movie John Adams of which Jefferson plays a major part. Incredible to think that Jefferson and Adams died on the same day - July 4, 1826.
Back to top Go down
Airborne

PostSubject: Re: Lighting up a new Viprati . . .    Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 8:14 am

Schacht wrote:
Since I think "The Maltese Falcon" is one of Hustons greatest movies and I also love Dashiell Hammett, I just have no choice: this pipe is beautiful, and the pictures as well.

Thanks for showing it.

Hammett's one of my favorites as well. Thanks for the comments.
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Lighting up a new Viprati . . .    Lighting up a new Viprati . . .  EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 8:59 am

Airborne wrote:
Bought this Luigi Viprati last Sunday at Cup-of-Joe’s in upper state New York.

Uh-oh, now you did it. I didn't know Cup-of-Joe's was in upstate NY and so tantalizingly close to my work travel on the NY Thruway..............What to do on an evening when I'm done work.........I see $$$$$ leaving my wallet.......
Back to top Go down

Lighting up a new Viprati . . .
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: