HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Military vets?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Military vets?   Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:16 pm

=

Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Canvasback

Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Viet Nam 1968-69. 25th Infantry Division. Bravo Company 1/27th Infantry (Wolfhounds). Platoon Leader 1LT. Proud to have served. I can't say I would do it again but I'm glad I was ready and able to serve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeroWolfe

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:06 pm

'67 - '71....Army, Field Artillery ("Cannon Cocker")
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitebriar

Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:23 pm

'66-'70--US Army Security Agency

MOS 05H

Last edited by whitebriar on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:58 am

Co A, 2/327 Inf 1/101st Abn RVN 66-67
Co A, 2/505th Inf 3/82nd Abn RVN 1/68-5/68
MOS: 11B4P

A big hand salute to you gentlemen and to all the others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:40 am

Army 68-71
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:47 am

A salute to my three score brothers and appreciation for your service and courage during tough times. I too am a three score man but I had not been called. I was a college undergrad between '66 to '70. We all recall the lottery then that young guys today know nothing about. We lived through a crap shoot. I got a lucky number and was not called. One day on either side of my birthday would have put me with you in Nam. I finished college but did not have the pleasure of a graduation ceremony due to the Kent State riots and the shut down of all universities in this country in the Spring of 1970.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
str8razor

Registration date : 2011-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:44 am

0311 31 July, 2006 - present. LCpl
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.reinstatehank.org
Terry292

Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:19 pm

71-77 US Army
79-87 US Navy
88-94 US Army (Retired)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Army, 70-73, SP5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Preacher

Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:21 pm

US Navy 1986-1994
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:38 am

1st Special Forces Group (Abn)
3rd Special Forces Group (Abn)
20th Special Forces Group (Abn)
1973 -2010
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jar

Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:55 am

Considering from where I am, it should be understood that I have never been in any Military at home, as in 1989 when we got back independence I was already too old and I was told that I will be more useful in my main professional field which is culture (history, art, conservation, teaching).

But let me quote General George Patton Jr:
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men." I refer here to constant non violence (from our side), with no military weapons fight for (now excuse me that I use of so banal today word): Freedom.

I have in mind here the informal educational activities ("Flying Universities", and so on) and the informal editing movements, where we have been publishing up to 50.000 copies of books that were considered as crucial in fields like: true history, also economy, sociology, etc. Listeners and readers were also so called "simple people" (like our later President, Lech Walesa), who have later surprised the former regime with their knowledge and level of real education. I also have in mind different activities/actions of the Committee for helping internee d persons and their families that was existing officially after introduction of Martial Law, December 1981.

And there had to be some forms of security of mentioned activities. I repeat that this security was performed with no weapons whatsoever from our side.

So I give myself a moral permission to salute all here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terry292

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 am

Jar wrote:
Considering from where I am, it should be understood that I have never been in any Military at home, as in 1989 when we got back independence I was already too old and I was told that I will be more useful in my main professional field which is culture (history, art, conservation, teaching).

"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men." I refer here to constant non violence (from our side), with no military weapons fight for (now excuse me that I use of so banal today word): Freedom.

I have in mind here the informal educational activities ("Flying Universities", and so on) and the informal editing movements, where we have been publishing up to 50.000 copies of books that were considered as crucial in fields like: true history, also economy, sociology, etc. Listeners and readers were also so called "simple people" (like our later President, Lech Walesa), who have later surprised the former regime with their knowledge and level of real education. I also have in mind different activities/actions of the Committee for helping internee d persons and their families that was existing officially after introduction of Martial Law, December 1981.

And there had to be some forms of security of mentioned activities. I repeat that this security was performed with no weapons whatsoever from our side.

You, sir, fought the "shadow war" and deserve as much, if not more, credit for Eastern European liberation as any of us who served on the other side. I spent my entire military career, in two services, in the Intelligence field as a Russian linguist. I've never been to Poland, but I was stationed in a town called Wildflecken, Germany, when the Soviet Empire imploded. Wildflecken is about 12 km, as the crow flies, from the former East-West German border. After the fences came down, I used to drive over into the Eastern Zone occasionally. Compared to what I'm used to, the conditions were appalling.

Allow me to salute you, sir, and not the other way round. Without men like you, we could very well still be one rifle shot away from nuclear holocaust in Europe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jar

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:23 am

Dear Terry - if I may address you by first name - Jacek is here…thank you from the bottom of my hearth for your words and for understanding. I am aware that despite our constant efforts since 1945 or, to be precise, since 1948/9 when they took the full power, our efforts would be of miserable results if not….the US taxpayers, who (speaking in simplified way) constructed powerful US budget, that allowed Mr President Ronald Reagan to "destroy" financially the Red Big Brother by operation "Star Wars" (I am aware that all this is much more complicated). This has prompted or simply forced the former regime to reconstruct the whole system and this has triggered out the process in Eastern Block. When now I watch many our young, local "patriots" who make PR for themselves stating, that they "single handed" defeated the whole Red Army plus SpecNaz, KGB, whatever, I simply die of laughter, still remembering the real winners. And, perhaps, it is not the coincident, that such people are meeting with quiet smile here smoking their pipes as one big Brotherhood of Briar. Hurrah for these, who created this site and create such great atmosphere in here.

Yes, we did not use any weapons in normal meaning of this word. In some situation the abilities of defensive driving with elements of rally driving were of good use. In very rare situations there was necessity of arm-to-arm combat, and here the training in martial art supported by constant keeping oneself in good physical form (mountaineering, etc) was of great importance. The aim was not to harm the opponents, but to block/stop him/her/them to gain on time, so the informal vip could safely escape. We were successfull in remembering, that the name of the game is: non violence from our side. And in later time the powerful weapon in this bloodless from our side war became… old models of Apple computers nicknamed "Refrigerators" (Apple Plus, Apple SE, etc). Because of their compact form and relatively good at that time portability, they were of best possible service in our informal activities like these, that I mentioned already. I still keep mine, and as one of longest time Mac users in Poland I like Macs as they are still a symbol of what we have been trying to do….like the historical family sabre - symbol of honor, that still hangs on the wall at the head of the bed in some places that I know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitebriar

Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Terry292 wrote:
Jar wrote:

You, sir, fought the "shadow war" and deserve as much, if not more, credit for Eastern European liberation as any of us who served on the other side. I spent my entire military career, in two services, in the Intelligence field as a Russian linguist. I've never been to Poland, but I was stationed in a town called Wildflecken, Germany, when the Soviet Empire imploded. Wildflecken is about 12 km, as the crow flies, from the former East-West German border. After the fences came down, I used to drive over into the Eastern Zone occasionally. Compared to what I'm used to, the conditions were appalling.

Allow me to salute you, sir, and not the other way round. Without men like you, we could very well still be one rifle shot away from nuclear holocaust in Europe.

Jar,

another salute from one who endeavored to seek freedom for Eastern Europe--definitely a joint effort--

grs
USASA 1966-70
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jar

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:49 pm

whitebriar wrote:

Jar,

another salute from one who endeavored to seek freedom for Eastern Europe--definitely a joint effort--

grs
USASA 1966-70

Whitebriar,

Oh yes. Very much so. Salute to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jogilli

Registration date : 2010-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:12 pm

June 3 1985 to June 30 2005.. USN CTRC(Ret).. Enjoyed it to the hilt.. 20 years and ended up spending 16.5 of that overseas... besides the war zones.. Iran/Iraqi (86-87) and again the middle east in the early 90's it was eye opening... The time living in Japan and throughout Europe was a blast.. so much that I'm still over here working for the DoD after retirement

james
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jsecpipes.com
mike_68

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:06 pm

US Army computer programmer '87-'99...SSG when I got out.

My deepest respect to all you other vets on the board...BTW - my dad was 4th ID in Pleiku South Vietnam from '67-'69 and my grandfathers both served in the US Army in WWII. Sorta seemed like it was part of the family business to enlist and serve! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnnyxpipe

Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:36 pm

I am currently in the process of joining the United States Army, I scheduled to go though MEPS in about a month. My grandfather was a drill instructor in WW2 and my grandfather in law was an Army Ranger in Vietnam and retired a Colonel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
john-in-kc

Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:53 am

I served active duty 1978-1989, and reserve service to 2005. I'm a field artilleryman by training, and have achieved some modest results in the Service.

As far as those of other nations go, I salute all who served their nations, even those who sat on the other side of the 1KM zone from me on the European GDP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terry292

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:20 pm

johnnyxpipe wrote:
I am currently in the process of joining the United States Army, I scheduled to go though MEPS in about a month. My grandfather was a drill instructor in WW2 and my grandfather in law was an Army Ranger in Vietnam and retired a Colonel.

Good luck to you. As they say in today's Army (it wasn't current in my time), "HOOAH!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hillikus

Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 am

Active duty Navy IT1(SW) since June, 14th 2001 plan on serving until...well I plan on serving until further notice!

Currently serving in Groton, CT but have done time in a number of different places/countries/oceans. Some more dangerous than others.

Huge Salute to those who have gone both before, and alongside me!

-H
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Military vets?   Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:18 am

My father was killed in vietnam in 1970. I wanting to honor him joined the army in 1986 loved it so much I stayed a little over 20 years. My MOS was 11B (Infantry) went all over the world was Airborne as well as Air Assault and Drill Sergeant. Went to desert storm and my last year in the Army went to Iraq. I retired in 2006 and couldnt get a job parking cars. I done what many of my brothers have done and went back to Iraq as a contractor which is where I am to this day.

Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
seawarrior

Registration date : 2011-04-20

PostSubject: semper fi brothers all!   Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:46 pm

I serverd 1976-1982 usmc 0311 and some private contract work 1989-1992 middle east... still kinda new here, but loving it! Im learning so much from ya'll thanks so much
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Military vets?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next