HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Actor Glenn Ford

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Airborne



Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Actor Glenn Ford   Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:45 pm

=


Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

avatar

Age : 70
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:23 am

I remember that I too included that great photo of Ford (who passed away not to long ago - he was over 90) in another forum featuring famous pipesmokers some years ago. I read in a bio essay on the actor that he picked up the pipe from his father, who worked for the Canadian railroad system. Note the British influence in the stem-down positioning of the pipes on the rack. He was a fine gentleman and an underrated actor. I particularly liked him in Gilda, The Big Heat and a spate of cowboy movies that he made in the 1950s, including the original version of 3:10 To Yuma.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne



Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:10 am

babysinister wrote:
I remember that I too included that great photo of Ford (who passed away not to long ago - he was over 90) in another forum featuring famous pipesmokers some years ago. I read in a bio essay on the actor that he picked up the pipe from his father, who worked for the Canadian railroad system. Note the British influence in the stem-down positioning of the pipes on the rack. He was a fine gentleman and an underrated actor. I particularly liked him in Gilda, The Big Heat and a spate of cowboy movies that he made in the 1950s, including the original version of 3:10 To Yuma.

Yes, you're right! I had forgotten that he was in 3:10 to Yuma, a great movie made from a great story by the great writer, Elmore Leonard. Gilda was fantastic, too! The French also tended to the stem-down position. Including a picture of the Belgian writer, Georges Simenon.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

avatar

Age : 70
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:41 pm

I'm a big fan of Simenon's Maigret series. That still photo of S with his pipes is from a documentary interview from French TV that can be found somehwere online. In it he shows the interviewer how he fills and lights his pipe "une ceremonie". Hint: he didn't have much use for a tamper or the "three step" fill method. Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sstodvictory

avatar

Age : 64
Location : SE Michigan
Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:43 pm

"Blackboard Jungle" is in my backlog of purchased but unwatched DVSs. I bought it to an example of Vic Morrow's acting talent, beyond the "Combat" TV series. I'll have to watch that one next.

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne



Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:48 pm

babysinister wrote:
I'm a big fan of Simenon's Maigret series. That still photo of S with his pipes is from a documentary interview from French TV that can be found somehwere online. In it he shows the interviewer how he fills and lights his pipe "une ceremonie". Hint: he didn't have much use for a tamper or the "three step" fill method. Lol.

I'll have to do a search for that interview. I hope there's an English translation because my French is rather pathetic. Thanks much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne



Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:56 pm

sstodvictory wrote:
"Blackboard Jungle" is in my backlog of purchased but unwatched DVSs. I bought it to an example of Vic Morrow's acting talent, beyond the "Combat" TV series. I'll have to watch that one next.

Steve


Yeah, you gotta watch it. Besides Glenn Ford and Vic Morrow, Sidney Poitier had a major part in it. MASH's Jamie Farr as well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

avatar

Age : 70
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:31 am

Airborne wrote:
babysinister wrote:
I'm a big fan of Simenon's Maigret series. That still photo of S with his pipes is from a documentary interview from French TV that can be found somehwere online. In it he shows the interviewer how he fills and lights his pipe "une ceremonie". Hint: he didn't have much use for a tamper or the "three step" fill method. Lol.

I'll have to do a search for that interview. I hope there's an English translation because my French is rather pathetic. Thanks much.


http://archives.tsr.ch/player/simenon-pipe


Sorry, no English translation. But it almost doesn't need one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Land of Steady Habits
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 am

Neat!

If you pause in a few spots as he handles the tin, you can see he's packing his pipe with Dunhill Royal Yacht.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Airborne



Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:33 pm

babysinister wrote:
Airborne wrote:
babysinister wrote:
I'm a big fan of Simenon's Maigret series. That still photo of S with his pipes is from a documentary interview from French TV that can be found somehwere online. In it he shows the interviewer how he fills and lights his pipe "une ceremonie". Hint: he didn't have much use for a tamper or the "three step" fill method. Lol.

I'll have to do a search for that interview. I hope there's an English translation because my French is rather pathetic. Thanks much.


http://archives.tsr.ch/player/simenon-pipe


Sorry, no English translation. But it almost doesn't need one.

Thanks much for the link. I enjoyed watching it. My wife is at a workshop in LA, but when she returns, I'll have to have her translate it for me. Wow, GS really stuffs that pipe of his!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

avatar

Age : 70
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Neat!

If you pause in a few spots as he handles the tin, you can see he's packing his pipe with Dunhill Royal Yacht.

I posted the link to that video clip years ago (can't remember at which forum) and, iirc, at one point he says how many pipefuls he smoked per chapter when writing one of his books. I think it added up to 60 pipefuls per book. And he wrote hundreds of them, as he was incredibly prolific. In that old thread, one of the posters said that the tin looked like Dunhill Elizabethan. Lol - I don't know how you guys can hazard a guess, I certainly couldn't tell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

avatar

Age : 70
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:29 pm

May Glenn Ford in Heaven forgive me for continuing to perpetrate this threadjacking on my part, but just wanted to add that the poem quoted by the interviewer as the intro to the clip is "La Pipe d'un auteur" ("A writer's pipe"), by the great French poet Charles Baudelaire, one of the first acknowledgements in literature of the link between writing and pipesmoking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne



Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:28 pm

babysinister wrote:
Doc Manhattan wrote:
Neat!

If you pause in a few spots as he handles the tin, you can see he's packing his pipe with Dunhill Royal Yacht.

I posted the link to that video clip years ago (can't remember at which forum) and, iirc, at one point he says how many pipefuls he smoked per chapter when writing one of his books. I think it added up to 60 pipefuls per book. And he wrote hundreds of them, as he was incredibly prolific. In that old thread, one of the posters said that the tin looked like Dunhill Elizabethan. Lol - I don't know how you guys can hazard a guess, I certainly couldn't tell.

To the right of the video on the link, there is a paragragh written in French. My French is really bad, but I did manage to understand that he smoked between 6 & 8 bowls full per chapter. Thanks again for the link.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Land of Steady Habits
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Here are the bases of my guess:


"nhill"


"Yacht"

But my eyes may indeed deceive me--they've never been good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Airborne



Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:56 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Here are the bases of my guess:



But my eyes may indeed deceive me--they've never been good.


Yes, by God, I think you nailed it, Doc!!! Way to go.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

avatar

Age : 70
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:58 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Here are the bases of my guess:


"nhill"


"Yacht"

But my eyes may indeed deceive me--they've never been good.


But they're better than mine that's for sure! Lol, Inspector Maigret would have been pleased!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
12toneman

avatar

Location : NYC
Registration date : 2010-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Airborne wrote:


Yes, you're right! I had forgotten that he was in 3:10 to Yuma, a great movie made from a great story by the great writer, Elmore Leonard. Gilda was fantastic, too! The French also tended to the stem-down position. Including a picture of the Belgian writer, Georges Simenon.


Big Simenon fan here too. I made my pipe rack after his:

]


Last edited by 12toneman on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tripesalamode.wordpress.com/
Airborne



Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:14 pm

Big Simenon fan here too. I made my pipe rack after his:

[/quote]


Very good. Super!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
12toneman

avatar

Location : NYC
Registration date : 2010-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Here are the bases of my guess:



"Yacht"

But my eyes may indeed deceive me--they've never been good.


I've only seen pics of him smoking Royal Yacht...except this one (below)...we see three tins: Royal Yacht, and two of Four Square.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tripesalamode.wordpress.com/
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Actor Glenn Ford   Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Glenn Ford- Fastest Gun Alive-1956
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
 
Actor Glenn Ford
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: