HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A DGT Method That Works

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: A DGT Method That Works   Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:41 pm

I hear a lot of complaints about the Delayed Gratification Technique, aka DGT. I DGT probably 90% of everything I smoke, and found that for me, the key is dryness before setting the pipe aside. When a blend is at the proper dryness, regardless of type of blend, it can be DGTd. The reason being, it seems, is without unneeded or unwanted moisture, the tobacco won't turn sour. Most of my blends are burley. Virginia, or combos of the two, I have also DGTd VaPer and Latakia with decent results. Just like our individual tastes vary, the same will be true with DGT pipes. I know that I've often forgotten pipes for up to 3 weeks, and they smoked fine.

When you want to stop smoking a pipe that still has half a bowl, rather than dumping the remaining tobacco, why not try my DGT Method? First, insert a pipe cleaner into the stem and shank but donít let it reach into the bottom of the bowl or touch the tobacco. Keep the pipe cleaner in place for three minutes to absorb any moisture. With the pipe cleaner in place, remove all the ash and embers from the bowl. After three minutes or so, remove the pipe cleaner, and set the pipe aside and forget about it.

I have found that a DGT pipe will perform best if it has rested a minimum of three hours, although overnight seems better. If a DGT bowl seems too dry or harsh, try cupping the bowl and gently exhaling into the bowl several times to freshen it again. Also, for variety, I sometimes will add another blend loosely to a DGT pipe, which also helps you freshen the DGT tobacco. Of course, DGTing wonít be for everyone, but if you have tried it with mixed results, give my method a test, you just might be surprised.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: A DGT Method That Works   Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:57 pm

tiltjlp wrote:
If a DGT bowl seems too dry or harsh, try cupping the bowl and gently exhaling into the bowl several times to freshen it again.

BINGO,,,just tried this on a bowl of VA I had put aside and forgotten,,,worked like a charm,,Very Happy

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: A DGT Method That Works   Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:03 am

That's the way I do it too!

I DGT just about everything as well, and these two things do make a big difference. I'll usually wait for the pipe to cool down before dumping out the ash on top though. I find I lose less tobacco that way. Removing the cleaner is a must so it airs out as it cools, doesn't get sour that way.

Good one, JLP! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: A DGT Method That Works   Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:22 am

mark wrote:
tiltjlp wrote:
If a DGT bowl seems too dry or harsh, try cupping the bowl and gently exhaling into the bowl several times to freshen it again.

BINGO,,,just tried this on a bowl of VA I had put aside and forgotten,,,worked like a charm,,Very Happy

Glad I could lend you a hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/

A DGT Method That Works
Page 1 of 1