HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:43 pm

I made this pipe today from a pre-drilled kit, thanks to Sorringowl (Frank) and his west coast briar workshop.
It was the most fun I've had in a long time, with some great guys. Joe and Gabe from PipeSmokers Forum were there, making pipes as well. I have to give much thanks to Frank for his hospitality, time, and effort in showing us what to do, how to use the tools, and sharing his knowledge.
My pipe still needs a lot of sanding as well as finishing, and you can see the filing and saw marks, but I'm planning to break it in soon!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RealtorFrank

Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Awesome, congrats on your pipe carving!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.franksellsnashville.com/
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:58 pm

RealtorFrank wrote:
Awesome, congrats on your pipe carving!

Thanks RF, good to see you around!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Looks great! Nice, thick walls a plus!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:25 pm

WOW thats a nice looking pipe and I really love the shape....nice work cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks gentlemen, I really appreciate the feedback!
It's certainly not the prettiest piece of briar, but the amount of fun I had shaping it makes me really want to finish up and try another.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:51 pm

Post some pics when you finish the pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
laherb

Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:22 pm

Nice first pipe! I know how you feel about wanting to break it in before you finish it, I've done that a few times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:47 pm

laherb wrote:
Nice first pipe! I know how you feel about wanting to break it in before you finish it, I've done that a few times.

Thanks Abe, I really appreciate it!
And I am really tempted to smoke it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:48 pm

I like that...very nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jogilli

Registration date : 2010-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Nice first pipe... my first looked nothing like that.. finish it first.. you'll be glad you waited...

James
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jsecpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:42 pm

It's gorgeous!!! Seems very symmetrical, great balance, and I'm a fan of sitters. Very Happy Do you plan on polishing it up after you smooth it out or just letting it "finish itself" as you smoke/use it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:32 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
It's gorgeous!!! Seems very symmetrical, great balance, and I'm a fan of sitters. Very Happy Do you plan on polishing it up after you smooth it out or just letting it "finish itself" as you smoke/use it?

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!
This one was just born to be a sitter, from the way it was cut. After that, I just had to decide on a general shape, and try not to mess it up. It's still a work in progress, but I need to buy some more sandpaper...
Thanks again.
Chris.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:51 am

Harlock999 wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!
This one was just born to be a sitter, from the way it was cut. After that, I just had to decide on a general shape, and try not to mess it up. It's still a work in progress, but I need to buy some more sandpaper...
Thanks again.
Chris.

Totally. Going with the flow on this one worked! You have no idea how much this is spurring me to go get a kit...man, this winter I can already see will be filled with making music and pipe carving...can't say that's a bad thing. Smile There's some incredibly talented hobbyists on this forum!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tNd

Registration date : 2011-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:57 am

nice first pipe... finish it, finish it Smile - she will look nice Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tnd-pipes.com/
IrishRover

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 pm

Great job.. I need to try carving one a try one day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:14 pm

I've got the PIMO book but never actually ordered the kit. This has inspired me. Soon i'll order the pre-drilled kit and see what I can come up with.

With my somewhat limited workshop, the pre-drilled kit would be the most logical choice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
voodootsk

Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:33 am

Looks good, I have been wanting to make one to
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keltic Cherokee

Registration date : 2012-01-27

PostSubject: I Like it   Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:24 pm

I like what you've got going.
as a matter of fact I'd love to
have one like that and not
put any more work on it
I'd just smoke it and let it
develop its own character
as its life goes on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:16 am

Didn't spot this the first time around.

Nice work! Feels good to make one of your own, doesn't it? Have you finished it up yet? Made another?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
CharlG

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:06 am

Great stuff! We want pics when it's finished!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goussardpipes.com/
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Nice project Harlock, I'm surprised it's not a bulldog. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar_Bear

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:15 am

Looking back is there anything you would do different?

I ask because I want to try this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:03 am

Everybody, who is making one, is making such nice pipes. Only inspires me all the more to get to the carving of my pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)   Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Dutch wrote:
Nice project Harlock, I'm surprised it's not a bulldog. Cool

Well, the block I started with pretty much dictated what kind of shape I could reasonably shoot for, and this one had to have a flat bottom. Otherwise, I would have been happy to make a butchered up bulldog! I'm pretty sure the learning curve for a nice bulldog is much steeper than that sitter I came out with. Marty Pulvers has said that carving a perfect bulldog, then making another just like it, should be the test of a real master carver...

I'm not sure if I could have done anything different with this project, again due to the way the block was cut. I basically just tried to get the proportions to look pleasing to the eye.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next