HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hi from SoCal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PipeRev

Registration date : 2011-09-01

PostSubject: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:38 am

Hello everyone. I am new to the hobby of pipe smoking, going for about 2.5 weeks so far. Ever since getting into this I have been going nuts checking out all kinds of pipes and making mental lists of pipes that I want and tobaccos I want to try its great. So far I have 4 pipes. My first pipe I got at my pipe shop, it was just a basket churchwarden no namer, it gurgles a bit but I love it. My second pipe i splurged and bought a new Peterson Flame Grained 150 Bulldog pipe which smokes amazing(at least by my standards). And now I have on the way are 2 estate pipes i bought off ebay, one is a large Calabresi Freehand which I don't know too much about the company but it was cheap and it looks nice. The other is a great looking Ser Jacopo half bent billiard with a horn mounted stem, I am very excited about this one I've heard such great things about Ser Jacopos.

As far as tobaccos I have tried, so far my two favorites are Peterson Sherlock Holmes, and Mac Baren Navy Flake. To me both of those are amazing. I hope soon to try some English blends maybe Frog Morton, Old Dublin, or the "legendary" Dunhill Night Cap. I think I will have my Calabresi be my English pipe.

Anyways that's all about me, thanks again and see you all on the boards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:53 am

I'm a SoCal native myself. cheers

PipeRev wrote:
The other is a great looking Ser Jacopo half bent billiard with a horn mounted stem, I am very excited about this one I've heard such great things about Ser Jacopos.

I have five Ser Jacopo pipes and each is a wonderful smoke. I'm sure you will be pleased! They know how to make a pipe.

Welcome to the forum and don't forget to post some pics of those new pipes for us!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:43 am

Welcome!
It's nice to have the West Coast represented!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:47 am

PipeRev wrote:
Hello everyone. I am new to the hobby of pipe smoking, going for about 2.5 weeks so far. Ever since getting into this I have been going nuts checking out all kinds of pipes and making mental lists of pipes that I want and tobaccos I want to try its great. So far I have 4 pipes. My first pipe I got at my pipe shop, it was just a basket churchwarden no namer, it gurgles a bit but I love it. My second pipe i splurged and bought a new Peterson Flame Grained 150 Bulldog pipe which smokes amazing(at least by my standards). And now I have on the way are 2 estate pipes i bought off ebay, one is a large Calabresi Freehand which I don't know too much about the company but it was cheap and it looks nice. The other is a great looking Ser Jacopo half bent billiard with a horn mounted stem, I am very excited about this one I've heard such great things about Ser Jacopos.

As far as tobaccos I have tried, so far my two favorites are Peterson Sherlock Holmes, and Mac Baren Navy Flake. To me both of those are amazing. I hope soon to try some English blends maybe Frog Morton, Old Dublin, or the "legendary" Dunhill Night Cap. I think I will have my Calabresi be my English pipe.

Anyways that's all about me, thanks again and see you all on the boards.

Welcome to BoB and to the world of pipe smoking and collecting. You're starting out great with a Peterson and Ser Jacopo! There's a lot of information on the board concerning pipe smoking for the beginner as well as old farts like me. I'm still learning after years of pipe smoking!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:53 am

Welcome to the forum...are you a Rev?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mike_68

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:29 am

Welcome from central Florida....as a newb myself and having gone ape-poop trying new tobaccos I would HIGHLY recommend Frog Morton On The Town as a foray into latakia/oriental leaf. It's a personal fave and gets great reviews...

Have a great day!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeRev

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:42 am

hobie1dog wrote:
Welcome to the forum...are you a Rev?

no not a Reverend. Rev short for revelation which is an online handle i have used since i was a kid. Not really related to the bible book either i just always liked the word as a kid i used to think it sounded cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:53 am

From the East Coast Very Happy

Welcome, John.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeroWolfe

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:12 am

Welcome to the Brotherhood !! If you are in the LA area, go by Kramer's Pipe & Tobacco Shop, 9531 Santa Monica Blvd. They have some excellent house blends. If you are into English Blends, try their "Father Demsey's" blend; very much like Dunhill 965, but better !!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Welcome! The California cadre grows!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:33 pm

welcome, you will love it here. Your going to love your new Ser Jacopo...one of my favorite pipe makers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Hello and welcome. Good to see more West coast pipers in here. You are off to a great start. Check out the info here on tobac that you might like. Have fun!

sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:41 pm

Welcome, PipeRev. Enjoy the adventure, but don't smoke too hard or fast and get burned out! (Insert cymbol crash here Laughing )

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick Berwick

Registration date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:32 pm

Welcome aboard! Incidentally, I recently bought a churchwarden and found the gurgling a problem, I found this was greatly reduced by removing the little metal condenser widget from the end of the stem, apparently they're supposed to prevent moisture buildup in the stem but are actually next to useless! hope thats of some help, and again, welcome.

Nick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dottleman

Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Welcome! You'll find a lot of good folks here and I shudder to think of how many pipe smoking hours this community shares! I applaud your choice of a Ser Jacopo. I have (sadly) only one, but it's a brilliant smoke!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeRev

PostSubject: Re: Hi from SoCal   Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:54 pm

thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hi from SoCal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1