HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
thomas james
Italian Stallion

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:25 pm

Bruce wrote:
Another reason to go with estates is I hate to break new pipes in!
I know, I know, this is a VERY lame reason, but it's true....I hate breaking pipes in.

At one point, I too hated to break in a new pipe. I followed the "old rules." Break em in with partial bowls and in a systematic progressive way. Somewhere along the line I got lazy and just filled new pipes to the top, smoked em and added them to my rotation. The "results" are the same in the end. One qualifier,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am careful not to let a new pipe get hot for the first so many bowls. Good briar with good engineering should not need pampering when new. They do however improve over time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this is more "seasoning" than it is "breaking in." I don't confuse "seasoning" briar with "curing" briar. To me, "seasoning" is a perpetual process. To this extent, estate pipes are attractive because they are "seasoned." A "seasoned" pipe can be "purified" and reamed by a pro to a point of "neutrality." Our very own PSPR&R does this time and time again. I just like doing "it" from scratch. Kinda like getting a new base ball mit as a kid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:10 am

I'd say that I'm in the three to one camp here, probably a third of my pipes are purchased as estates in one form or another and the other percentile is new. I prefer new- but when I see a pipe I love I usually pull the trigger regardless if it is new or not.

Since I've been paring down my collection to just a handful of carvers having been through the whole Danish spectrum I've been more prone to buying new lately, and have also made some trades with some local Danish collectors here in Chicago. I'm really only focusing on Former's, Tonni's, Heeschen's, and Poul Hansen's.
Back to top Go down
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:47 am

Over time I've found that Gary Malmberg,Rob Cooper,Smokingpipes,and
Pipestud are excellent sellers of estates.I have no hesitation buying from
these gentlemen.

Winslow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:19 pm

I've bought a couple of used pipes and I realized they're not for me. Don't expect any rationalization of it, it's just the way it is. I simply cannot make myself smoke used pipes... Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
I've bought a couple of used pipes and I realized they're not for me. Don't expect any rationalization of it, it's just the way it is. I simply cannot make myself smoke used pipes... Sad

Hey WD- it's not like chewing used gum ya know Razz
Back to top Go down
Oddball

Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:10 pm

Ok, can anybody help me with a rough guide to estate pipe buying?
I want to pad out my collection and get a proper rotation along with trying out different shapes and sizes. Estate pipes fit the bill. However, other than some idea of checking fit and finish and hole and the bottom of the bowl Iím kinda at a loss. Are there brands I should be on the lookout for?
Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:34 pm

I canít speak about high end estates
Sounds like a risk there unless you fully trust the seller.
But for cheapies to fill-out/create a rotation, I picked up seven nice (at least I think so) pipes at premierpipes.com dirt cheap. Two of em are Parkers; the rest are ďno name.Ē Iím satisfied with all of them, but if I tossed one or two it wouldnít have been much of a loss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oddball

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Im not looking high end by any means
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:16 am

I forgot to mention the nicest one I got from Premier. In fact Iím smoking some GLP Odyssey in it right now. Comoy Bulldog 1998 Christmas Pipe; it was unsmoked, has beautiful grain and cost me $56.95.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oddball

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:18 am

Thanx hermit
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:10 am

Briar Blues and Marty Pulver's Pipes are two excellent sources of estates. There are others as well. Also some shady sources.

LL is right in that, sometimes, you may end up buying someone else's problem. But GLPease is also right that a pipe one guy might find terrible can suit another smoker to a "T."

People get new (to them) pipes and sell/trade current pipes for all kinds of reasons.

eBay can be a viable source. But it's a bad place to start. Not only from crooks selling grossly over-valued wrecks with a lot of buzzword hype to the naive, but because it's not un-heard-of for ignorant but competitive bidders to bid stuff they want far beyond the prices they could get the same pipe for at retail some where else.

It's a zoo there.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:58 am

Ian Minton wrote:
Wet Dottle wrote:

Hey WD- it's not like chewing used gum ya know Razz

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
regor

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:46 am

When you go to a restaurant to eat you aren't the only one to have used the silverware. There is nothing wrong with estate pipes as long as you clean them up which a dealer with a good rep has already done cyclops sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:58 pm

regor wrote:
When you go to a restaurant to eat you aren't the only one to have used the silverware. There is nothing wrong with estate pipes as long as you clean them up which a dealer with a good rep has already done cyclops sunny

Regor, I understand what you are saying. The analogy you use does not reflect how I feel about it. Silverware is metal, wood is porous. I think of pipes more like cars: when buying an used one you just don't know how it has been treated. And I believe the "only smoked once" story as much as the one about the old lady that only drove her car to go to church on Sundays. An even better analogy might be underwear: I am not going to put on someone else's used underwear no matter how many times you boil the thing in pure alcohol, or sulfuric acid, or what not.

I don't mean to disparage used pipes or anyone involved in trading them. Nor am I trying to convince anyone to change sides. This is an irrational and perhaps unhealthy attitude on my part, but it is how I feel and that's that. No flames please. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
regor

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:05 pm

How did we get from Estate pipes to boiled underwear???? LMAO Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:27 pm

Wet Dottle,

I agree with most of your thoughts. However, I'm hoping that at least one of my children will take over my pipes some day and, so far, they turn up their noses at the thought of smoking something that has been in my mouth, even a cob.

Shocked

Maybe it's a matter of too much information. They know I rinse my mouth regularly with alcohol.

Very Happy Paul
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:00 am

Regor wrote:
How did we get from Estate pipes to boiled underwear???? LMAO
Probably via Walnut.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
regor

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:04 am

Yak wrote:
Regor wrote:
How did we get from Estate pipes to boiled underwear???? LMAO
Probably via Walnut.

What a Face

LMAO!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:06 pm

I just picked up three more Stanwells at Frenchy's.
$109.00 for the three of em.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:18 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
regor wrote:

And I believe the "only smoked once" story as much as the one about the old lady that only drove her car to go to church on Sundays.

Well, I can tell you with complete honesty that I've just recently sold over 30 pipes that were in fact smoked by me just once and then listed on e-bay. I personally have a 1930's Dunhill bulldog that was smoked only once.You can still see bare wood at the bottom of the pipe and there's only the slightest bit of darkening on the walls of the bowl!

It really DOES happen....

Best,
D.J.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
regor

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:26 pm

DPG, you are one of the people that I would but an estate pipe from and not worry. You do have a good rep.. I guess everyone is a little differant and I have no prob with an estate pipe. I think the whole thing is funny. There sure is a huge market for estate pipes and I'm sure I'll buy a few more before its all over LOL cyclops sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Guys,

I hope nobody took offense in what I said. Perhaps I could have phrased it a bit better, but I was only trying to portray an irrational feeling. DPG, I was using a hyperbola and never meant to doubt your pipes (their descriptions, I mean).

Maybe I shouldn't post anything for a few days...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thomas james
Italian Stallion

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:13 pm

NONSENCE Wet Dottle!!

Post away.

Your input IS worthwhile.

IF you mistakenly criticised DPG, you didn't, but if you did, he deserves it and will get over it.

He's probably at Dunc N' Donuts and not paying attention anyway.

lol!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:45 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
Guys,

I hope nobody took offense in what I said. Perhaps I could have phrased it a bit better, but I was only trying to portray an irrational feeling. DPG, I was using a hyperbola and never meant to doubt your pipes (their descriptions, I mean).

Maybe I shouldn't post anything for a few days...

No Offense taken on my end what so ever Laughing I was just trying to get my point across that there really are some folks like myself who smoke a pipe once or twice and don't return to it again.At my height I had 500+ pipes.I went through a sell off and that number is down to around 100 which only 20 or so are from my original collection. I had so many pipes that I never had the time to break them all in.This is why you'll see that so many of my auctions say "smoked X1 or smoked 2-3 times at most. You'd know that they were lightly smoked just looking at them.There was still bare wood in the bowl on most....

Best,
D.J.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
thomas james
Italian Stallion

PostSubject: Re: Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*   Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:03 pm

Danish & Pipe Guy,

That's like having a playmate living next door and only jumping the fence 2-3 times at most.

Bare wood,,,,,,,,,,indeed!

Not right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Estate Pipes *An Edorsement*
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next