HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hello from Afghanistan...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dottleman

Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Afghanistan...   Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Welcome aboard! Thanks for doing what you're doing, Keep your head on a swivel and we'll see you around the boards!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Afghanistan...   Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Welcome, Eric. You should have no problem drying out your tobacco to a proper moisture level where you are, just leave it unsealed for a few hours and it will probably be quite dry!

Please share your experiences.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Afghanistan...   Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:39 am

I wasn't sure if I needed to dry it or not. I had a hard time keeping the Blue Note lit and there was a bit of a gurgle towards the middle of my smoke. Tonight, I will leave some out to dry and try my luck again. Other than that, I really like the Blue Note. It has a mild taste and a wonderful smell. The Peterson is a nice pipe, good weight and well balanced. I will get some pics up soon. Thanks for the advice!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Afghanistan...   Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 am

Eric, welcome and thank you for your service. You've already gotten plenty of good advice, so I'll throw in a little as well. The vaunted Missouri Meerschaum is the serviceman's best friend. It is inexpensive, smokes well, and thrives in adverse climate conditions. Order some if you can, if not, let us know and we'll get some to you. One more thought, it's rumored there are some very talented pipecarvers serving in your theater. You might inquire and be able to expand your collection in a way we cannot.

Best wishes,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Hello from Afghanistan...   Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:51 pm

Sounds like your off to a great start. (the B.O.B. is like a world library of Pipes and Tobacco full of great People)

As a newbie myself, I like Carter Hall an Over The Counter brand that comes in its own 1.5oz carry pouch - Lane bulk; 1-Q Cavendish, a mild all day

smoke - and this months favorite, Peter Stokkebye; Deluxe Luxury Navy Flake, my morning and evening coffee smoke.

They all for me, round out the day and won't break the bank. (they will stay in my rotation as I continue to test the waters)

Be Safe on your journey, John.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Afghanistan...   Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:15 am

Welcome to the BoB.
There's plenty to smoke in country. Cool You must not however, take the piss test afterward...it will not go well for you.
If you can take a hop to Incirlik, they have some very good prices on Meerschaum.
The German's, as you know, take care of their troops, and are resupplied frequiently with tobacco and beer.
The Americans screw their troops at every opportunity.
Any of the S.F guys can help you out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Afghanistan...   Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:13 pm

Sand18F...truer words were never spoken my friend. I always know where the 18s are at!

Boulder...I will have to try some of those...there are SO many different blends out there!

Lesath...right after I read your post, I saw one of the guys here with an MM. We immediately had a nice conversation and will be trading tobaccos soon! I'm going to see what I can find as far as pipe carvers go here.

I just got my setup in a couple of days ago....this is one nice pipe!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jogilli

Registration date : 2010-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Afghanistan...   Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:27 pm

nice.... I have 3 petersons.. and i like them for every day pipes... it's been a while since I smoked one of them though..

Find out where the workshop is on base and you will probably find some hobbiest there if your lucky... you can't really pack a lathe and sanding machines in your ruck sack..

James
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jsecpipes.com

Hello from Afghanistan...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2