HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Lets Talk Boswell

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
NewSmoke

Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:12 am

Can any of you help me identify the style of pipe this is. I really like the look of it. It has the look of a classic except for the top of the bowl, that has a freehand, rustic look. I really like this style and hope that there are others like it in the Boswell lineup......as soon as I figure out how to upload the image...

It's on the Boswell homepage at the top. You can see it a couple different times on the site. Once in hand (homepage Professional Pipemakers Since 1975) and again between two other pipes.

Thanks in advance, if I can get the picture up I will, might be an issue with the bandwidth out here.

Last edited by NewSmoke on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:30 am

PipeLeisure wrote:
My Boswell pebble carved Nosewarmer

Very nice. My cup o' tea, for sure..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:05 pm

Looks like I have to wait to post that picture...this is the message I got when I tried the PhotoBucket method...just a few more days.....bummer.

"New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:40 pm

NewSmoke wrote:
Can any of you help me identify the style of pipe this is. I really like the look of it. It has the look of a classic except for the top of the bowl, that has a freehand, rustic look. I really like this style and hope that there are others like it in the Boswell lineup......as soon as I figure out how to upload the image...

It's on the Boswell homepage at the top. You can see it a couple different times on the site. Once in hand (homepage Professional Pipemakers Since 1975) and again between two other pipes.

Thanks in advance, if I can get the picture up I will, might be an issue with the bandwidth out here.

The top of the bowl is referred to as plateaux if that's what you are referring to...outer part of the wood left on through the carving process and not cut off or sanded down. Lots of pipe makers will do it from time to time, and you can probably find it on almost any shape you want. Occasionally you will even see it on the sides or bottom of the bowl, rather than the top.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 pm

The plateau, thanks! I guess the pipe that I am referring to is a Boswell Classic with a rustic (unfinished?) plateau. It's very nice!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Just a freehand bent, with pleateaux. He makes tons of them..check out the gallery and you'll see them smooth, rusticated, small, large...all types.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:49 pm

This one? If so, that is a tough one. I rarely see a Boswell with an insert in the stem. I couldn't find any like that in the Freehand pipe gallery either. He does plenty of plateau top freehands though, just missing the stem insert. They run about $100.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:42 pm

NewSmoke wrote:
with a rustic (unfinished?) plateau.

Plateaux is naturally unfinished..it's like bark...if you sanded through the bark, you'd just have smooth wood. Same w/plateaux...if you sanded or smoothed or finished it, it would just be briar underneath. It's stained, usually, but the beauty lies in it looking natural, I think.

Yes, Boswell's are rare with inserts. I didn't think you meant that pipe specifically. There are others with pictures posted on page 1 of this thread that are plateuax freehands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Thanks for expanding my knowledge gents! I love knowing the correct terminology. That's the picture that I was trying to post, new guys like myself don't have that privilege until after a week of membership.

That's the pipe that I was talking about though, pipe insert and all, I just didn't know how to properly explain it (noob).

It's got a great look, I imagine that must have been a special piece to Mr. Boswell as it is prominently displayed multiple times on his website. I'll have to keep an eye out, that has got to be my favorite so fa.!

The bent "shot shell" pipes are very unique as well.....he makes a lot of really nice pipes. I can't believe they are so affordable!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:49 am

NewSmoke wrote:
Thanks for expanding my knowledge gents! I love knowing the correct terminology. That's the picture that I was trying to post, new guys like myself don't have that privilege until after a week of membership.

That's the pipe that I was talking about though, pipe insert and all, I just didn't know how to properly explain it (noob).

It's got a great look, I imagine that must have been a special piece to Mr. Boswell as it is prominently displayed multiple times on his website. I'll have to keep an eye out, that has got to be my favorite so fa.!

The bent "shot shell" pipes are very unique as well.....he makes a lot of really nice pipes. I can't believe they are so affordable!
I'll inquire the next time I stop by the shop and keep an eye out. JM seems to have a special spot for servicemen, I bet he'd hold until you can inquire. Being pretty familiar with his pricing, that one might go $169 or thereabouts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:22 am

That would be great! It's nice to know someone local to the shop with some insider knowledge! I look forward to hearing from you. Once I get my Boswell, I'll be sure to send some pics of it in action out here in AFG. Thanks again for all the help!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thai'd Up

Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:50 am

I just ordered my Rhodesian on Thursday and will be posting a photo as soon as it arrives. I really want a poker from them and will probably make another order in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thai'd Up

Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:59 am

NewSmoke wrote:
That is very generous of you and I will take you up on that for sure. I was kind of wondering how I was going to be able to successfully call. Using the phone can be somewhat tricky, using calling cards or operators and such. To quote Ricky Bobby, it seems that "if you're not first, you're last" when it comes to buying a Boswell over the phone on Thursdays! I appreciate the help for sure. My Peterson should be here soon, so I will be looking at a picking up a Boswell soon after that, I want to make sure I get a good rotation going, break them in right!! I'll keep looking on the site and I will certainly contact you when I find my next pipe! Thanks again for the help! Eric.

I'm not sure what size FOB you are on, but I would recommend paying for a monthly subscription from skype to call landlines and cell phones in the US. I use the worldwide plan and it is what has kept me sane for the last two years. I think there is a US only plan that is even cheaper.

Good luck on finding your pipe and stay safe!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Thai'd Up wrote:
I just ordered my Rhodesian on Thursday and will be posting a photo as soon as it arrives. I really want a poker from them and will probably make another order in a few weeks.
This Weathered Stone Rhodesian? If so, that is beautiful. I love his polished top Rhodesians. Enjoy that one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:45 pm

riff raff wrote:
Thai'd Up wrote:
This Weathered Stone Rhodesian? If so, that is beautiful. I love his polished top Rhodesians. Enjoy that one!
Yup that's the pipe...very nice indeed
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
Dottleman

Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Very nice pics all! I was drawn to the plug/Kake cutter in one of deepbass' pics though! I'm getting ready to pop open some Pirate kake I've had lying around and that looks like just the ticket!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Dottleman wrote:
Very nice pics all! I was drawn to the plug/Kake cutter in one of deepbass' pics though! I'm getting ready to
pop open some Pirate kake I've had lying around and that looks like just the ticket!

Gotta try me some Pirate Kake...it's on the list! Go great in my JMB nosewarmer! That's a lat pipe for me...how could it not be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:05 am

It's almost time! I'm very curious to see what's offered this week!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:26 am

NewSmoke wrote:
It's almost time! I'm very curious to see what's offered this week!
you and me both
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:11 am

On the 9/15 offering, #4 (SOLD) and #13 jumped out a me. Those are large pipes.
#13 still available at 10:10 AM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:28 am

Very nice! I made the plunge and picked up the two tone shot shell (#2). I love the shot shell pipes, very unique. I was eyeing the other billiard, but I'm very happy with my overall choice. I requested an once of Boswell's Best with my new pipe. Now the waiting starts Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:45 pm

NewSmoke wrote:
Very nice! I made the plunge and picked up the two tone shot shell (#2). I love the shot shell pipes, very unique. I was eyeing the other billiard, but I'm very happy with my overall choice. I requested an once of Boswell's Best with my new pipe. Now the waiting starts Crying or Very sad
You will love that shotshell bent! His bents are light enough to be a great hang and that lucite stem won't show much wear. Excellent choice. I love the hint of rustification as well. Very tasteful. I hope the wait time goes fast for you & congratulations. Welcome to the Boswell club.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks! I feel even better about my decision. I was looking at the other billiard (#4) first, as I figured it would be an easy clench, it was just hard to gauge the size. I felt pretty confident that the shotgun bent would fit me just fine. I may get one of his billiards once I get a little more experience with this hobby, for now, I really like bent pipes.

I'm just getting into this hobby and I think that I've got a pretty good start as far as equipment goes, now I just need to learn how to properly pack a bowl, light it, tamp it, smoke it and break my pipes in properly! By the time I leave here, I should have two super cool smoking pipes!

Al, did you end up getting one of those billiards (or both Smile )? Those were both sweet looking and they went pretty quick. I can't believe how fast they all sold.

Talk about supply and demand.....can't wait to light up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:13 pm

I wasn't in the market, but just enjoy looking.
I'm saving for a Brian Ruthenberg, so far, nothing is swaying me from that quest...
Someone has a very nice Boswell Churchwarden for sale over on the SmokersForum.uk. $45 delivered and unsmoked, a real tempter.
Whew, it sold....

NewSmoke wrote:
Thanks! I feel even better about my decision. I was looking at the other billiard (#4) first, as I figured it would be an easy clench, it was just hard to gauge the size. I felt pretty confident that the shotgun bent would fit me just fine. I may get one of his billiards once I get a little more experience with this hobby, for now, I really like bent pipes.

I'm just getting into this hobby and I think that I've got a pretty good start as far as equipment goes, now I just need to learn how to properly pack a bowl, light it, tamp it, smoke it and break my pipes in properly! By the time I leave here, I should have two super cool smoking pipes!

Al, did you end up getting one of those billiards (or both Smile )? Those were both sweet looking and they went pretty quick. I can't believe how fast they all sold.

Talk about supply and demand.....can't wait to light up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:21 pm

I really wanted the rustic egg - (#6) but I was too slow. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Lets Talk Boswell
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next