HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Lets Talk Boswell

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:37 pm

I hope he doesn't grow bored with his rustication technique, the one he says has taken a lot of time to perfect (not the "lava" carving), by the time I'm in a position to try one. I see he goes in phases. I appreciate that he keeps trying new things and moves on from them, but there is also something to be said for consistency from established ideas. But then again, smoker's are fickle. I'm sure the estate market will be a good source for years to come.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:14 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
I really wanted the rustic egg - (#6) but I was too slow. Sad

That was the pipe for me on this round, as far as value to look goes. Under $90, too...a bit heavy, but most of his pipes have some weight.

The two reverse plateaux were very nice, too. I usually don't dig them so much, especially not in that color stain, but both of them worked for me this time. The blue stem on the 'warden looked cool...and only 30 grams, such a lightweight!

#4 & #13...I don't like those long stems. He had a bulldog in the shop the day I came, and it was very affordable. But with the long stem, it just didn't reach out to me.

Ha..we could do a roundup every week; it's fun to look and talk about them, even if you're not in the market.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thai'd Up

Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:20 am

I really like the pokers and I'm partial to the smooth finished ones but I have son getting braces so my pipe budget is now down to zero.

I also like the shotshell pipes, they look great and would really fit well with my rural Montana home where bird hunting is king.

I want to buy some more pipes, but I will probably have them sent to Montana because I don't want to worry about a bunch of expensive pipes being damaged if I need to move over here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:14 am

I agree on not wanting to damage ANY of my stuff while I'm out here. I am going to stick to the two that I have now (well, should have soon) and perhaps have any others shipped to the house. I was really hoping to have my first shipment in today, but no dice.

Good luck on the braces, I hear those can get VERY expensive, but totally worth it in the long run. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:09 am

NewSmoke wrote:
I agree on not wanting to damage ANY of my stuff while I'm out here. I am going to stick to the two that I have now (well, should have soon) and perhaps have any others shipped to the house. I was really hoping to have my first shipment in today, but no dice.

Good luck on the braces, I hear those can get VERY expensive, but totally worth it in the long run. Very Happy
One of our two, $8k braces investment informs us she is now playing on a girls roller-derby team....I should have bought some pipes....(says they wear mouth guards)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:23 am

Wow! That Roller Derby can be violent. Watched the Charm City Roller Girls in B'more this summer, pretty good time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:24 am

NewSmoke wrote:
Wow! That Roller Derby can be violent. Watched the Charm City Roller Girls in B'more this summer, pretty good time.
They came to my local B-more bike show last summer, there again in October (Charm City Mods & Rockers). My girls team (Hagerstown) plays them later this year, I'll definitely take that in. My gals pretty tough, but some of those girls are bruisers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thai'd Up

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:30 am

My pipe arrived last night!!! It is a really nice looking and has a great feel to it. I will probably start breaking it in later today.

I was opening the box and two other guys were watching and both are now going to call and order pipes from Boswell. One is going to try to order two...one for him and another for his son. Pipe smokers are coming out of the woodwork here!!!

I've had a few young soldiers come up to me and asking about the pipe and they all bought cheap pipes in country that ended up being made with a lot of plastic. Needless to say it didn't end well. I'm going to order a bunch of MM pipes go give out to guys who are interested.

I will post a photo soon. I think I still have a few days until I am able to put up photos here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thai'd Up

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:32 am

riff raff wrote:
NewSmoke wrote:

One of our two, $8k braces investment informs us she is now playing on a girls roller-derby team....I should have bought some pipes....(says they wear mouth guards)

Be prepared....I ordered an extra couple of ounces on top of the free ounce he sends out with each pipe. He sent a total of five free ounces, so you will have plenty of tobacco to sample.

I haven't been able to check the mail requirements yet..we only receive mail here. I will check as soon as I we hit a big FOB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thai'd Up

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:43 am

riff raff wrote:
NewSmoke wrote:

I'm a little worried about my son getting them. He tends to act BEFORE he thinks. He just started football again which I'm not worried about, but he has loosened some teeth twice in the past playing baseball (I should say....when horse playing before or after practice).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:16 am

Thai'd Up wrote:
riff raff wrote:
NewSmoke wrote:

I'm a little worried about my son getting them. He tends to act BEFORE he thinks. He just started football again which I'm not worried about, but he has loosened some teeth twice in the past playing baseball (I should say....when horse playing before or after practice).
He'll figure it out pretty quick. Damaging them usually results in some pain, so they learn to avoid that quickly. Near teh end, when the retainer comes into play (and braces off) is the biggest hassle. I think we lost one or two of them in my tenure. Eats into your pipe budget...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:36 am

Thai'd Up wrote:

I haven't been able to check the mail requirements yet..we only receive mail here. I will check as soon as I we hit a big FOB.

No issues with using MPS to swap tobacco. Once I get my shipment in, I'll shoot you a sample of what I've got! PM me your physical address and we'll get this thing going. I'm excited to try some different blends as I have NO idea what I'm going to like. Figured I'd start mild and go from there. Hope all is well up there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

PostSubject: This is my kind of wizard   Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:19 pm

deepbass9 wrote:
This is the style I like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320760216649?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Agreed. JM has one in his shop for most of the summer in that style/shape/color. It's priced at $109 I believe. It looks like a great hanger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:23 pm

riff raff wrote:
deepbass9 wrote:
This is the style I like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320760216649?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Agreed. JM has one in his shop for most of the summer in that style/shape/color. It's priced at $109 I believe. It looks like a great hanger.

Must resist....must not ask a fellow fan to stop by the shop...must keep my cash in the bank... Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:29 pm

A guy on another forum has this nice Churchwarden for sale, at a pretty good price!
http://www.bobramstad.com/Pipes/ForSale/20101111X1.html

Just in case you don't feel like resisting the urge...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:11 am

Sorry about that giant pix, I can't seem to be able to remove it now...

I stopped by the shop yesterday and picked up a 6 oz refill of Magnum, my daily smoke.

I chatted with Dan about the pipe on their webpage with the stem extension. He said that was elk antler and was a special commission. I mentioned some soldiers overseas have been ordering his pipes lately. He said they don't really do commisions as they are too busy, but definitely would for a soldier overseas. He said you guys typically don't have easy phone access, so they understand and make an exception for soldiers. He said if you want a particular pipe, email them on your request. He added to keep bugging them via email if you don't get a reply. They are being rude by not replying, but them get overwhelmed by requests. He said a soldier would get priority
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:21 am

Thanks for remembering to ask about that for me. I think I might be pretty good on pipes right now. I do like the one that is on the website though. I will def have to get tot he shop sometime and look around. He's right though, the phone situation can be pretty dire out here sometimes. If I come up with any ideas, I'll certainly send them an email! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Very nice looking pipes indeed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:23 am

The great thing about Boswell's is that it is right off 81 (so it seems). I was born and lived in VA for 27 years before moving to jersey. Anyway now that I smoke pipes it is yet another place to add to my "pit stops" list while going through PA. Which also includes Pat Garretts sheepskin store (they have nice shslippers, throws, ect) and Bass pro shop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:23 am

Cuervo25_1 wrote:
The great thing about Boswell's is that it is right off 81 (so it seems). I was born and lived in VA for 27 years before moving to jersey. Anyway now that I smoke pipes it is yet another place to add to my "pit stops" list while going through PA. Which also includes Pat Garretts sheepskin store (they have nice shslippers, throws, ect) and Bass pro shop.
I live right up the road, so Boswells is a bi-weekly stop for me. I've seen the Pat Garrett store in 78, but never stopped. I do hit that huge Cabella's on 78. NJ is a frequent travel destination.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:23 am

Man, that big churchwarden picture I posted is messing up this thead - is there a way to remove it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:46 pm

riff raff wrote:
Cuervo25_1 wrote:
I live right up the road, so Boswells is a bi-weekly stop for me. I've seen the Pat Garrett store in 78, but never stopped. I do hit that huge Cabella's on 78. NJ is a frequent travel destination.

Cabelas not bass pro is where I stop lol oops

Pat Garretts has alot of nice stuff even though it looks like a dump on the outside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:43 pm

NewSmoke wrote:
Very nice! I made the plunge and picked up the two tone shot shell (#2). I love the shot shell pipes, very unique. I was eyeing the other billiard, but I'm very happy with my overall choice. I requested an once of Boswell's Best with my new pipe. Now the waiting starts Crying or Very sad
I also just picked up a shot Shell (Sportsman) I have never seen anything like it and fell in love. I will post some PICS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk Boswell    Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:46 pm

riff raff wrote:
Man, that big churchwarden picture I posted is messing up this thead - is there a way to remove it?
MAN....what did you do to this thread, its all messed up now...HAHAHAHHA Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee

Lets Talk Boswell
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next