HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lathe Buffing Extensions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

Lathe Buffing Extensions Empty
PostSubject: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 6:24 pm

I've been looking at lathes and have noticed that you can attach a buffing wheel. Is this a good option to purchasing a motor?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Milan
Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 6:44 pm

If you already own a lathe or are purchasing one for other reasons, then I don't see why not. You should be able to add the same wheels (backed or un-backed) that will attach to a normal buffer/grinder-style setup. May take a little jury-rigging depending on the type of collet or chuck you are working with.
Back to top Go down
Milan

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback. I prefer to kill two birds with one stone if I can. Seems like the way to go if one is interested in acquiring both, but has neither?
Back to top Go down
PipeLeisure

PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Im a machinist by trade, don't really see a problem with it. The only thing i could think of is try to cover up the lathe "bedways" with some wood or something to protect against damage if your pipe or stem get ripped of of your hand while buffing...and trust me it will happen. if that happens and your pipe slams up against the lathe bedways it will severely damage your pipe.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
forsooth

forsooth

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:33 pm

There is a Youtube vid of a fellow polishing a stem with a regular buffer and the stem was pulled out of his hand and slammed against a concrete floor, so his advice was to add a piece of carpet to the floor to protect the stem when it happens the next time. Don't know if this would apply to a lathe setup.
Back to top Go down
TreverT

TreverT

Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:38 pm

I do this a lot. It makes a handy speed-controlled buffer, especially using small wheels for detailed work that would be awkward on the bigger wheels. The chief objection is that you'll get your lathe bed covered in compound crap, and need to clean it off regularly because spattered brown compound dust will get into the gears of your tool post (assuming a metal lathe).
Back to top Go down
http://www.talbertpipes.com/
Milan

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 8:03 am

Thanks Trevor. Good insight.
Cheers & Health,
Milan
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm not familiar with Don Fuhr, but here is a video of him buffing a pipe with a lathe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWOsqucQyHE
Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator
Mikem

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Don't know it they still do but Pipe Makers Emporium use to sell a Bealle (spelling might be wrong) set up that included the shaft, buffing wheels and carnuba especially for setting up your lathe for a pretty decent price.
Back to top Go down
loneredtree

loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Close Mikem, Its Beall tool company/ http://www.bealltool.com/ Others have highly recommended them for buffing supplies.
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 7:39 am

loneredtree wrote:
Close Mikem, Its Beall tool company/ http://www.bealltool.com/ Others have highly recommended them for buffing supplies.
That is interesting:
Lathe Buffing Extensions Threeon
Back to top Go down
Lesath

Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Buffing Extensions   Lathe Buffing Extensions EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 5:43 pm

Jantz Supply and Grizzly can fix you up with attachments. Comment was made of using carpet to catch errant stummels. I have lined the wall and floor behind lathe, buffers, and belt sander (when grinding wood not metal) with multiple layers of cardboard. It can absorb the impact and prevent a flyaway without overt damage to the stock.
Back to top Go down

Lathe Buffing Extensions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: