HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

avatar

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad Davis

avatar

Age : 68
Location : Foley, Alabama, USA
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Wow! And it only weighs just shy of 2 pounds!

I'm joining the revolution!

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
WaydeG

avatar

Age : 60
Location : DFW - Frisco, Tx
Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:38 pm

That takes me back as I had a "car phone"'for years until I got my first portable bag phone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:43 pm

Just a fad; it'll never catch on. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StephenDownie

avatar

Location : Vancouver, Canada
Registration date : 2008-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:58 am

I remember using a phone that weighed and looked the same as a plastic cinder block. I miss the sound of eggs frying when I brought it to my ear. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.downiepipes.com
LIPIPE

avatar

Age : 69
Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:47 am

And that was the "modern era". Remember when you called a girl for a date you did it from the only phone in the house? It was a wallphone in the kitchen and you had a party line. When you called, the girl's mom answered and you were obliged to speak to her before her daughter? Man what a guy used to have to go through just to connect for Saturday night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

avatar

Location : Littleton, CO
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Hey! I had a watch just like that Casio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:41 pm

While I don't have the thing-a-ma-jig to look at the link posted I can definitely relate to the quote below.

My family had a party line back in the early 60's and there was one dial phone on the wall in the kitchen. I thought it was a pretty big deal when we got a private number.

Back then our exchange started with the first two letters of the name of the area. So as an example if our number was Evergreen 2-3456, then we learned to remember EV2-3456.

Also thought it was big deal when we got a second phone line. This was unheard of back then. It went into the folks bedroom. That way I could sneak in and make funny phone calls while the folks were watching TV!

Twisted Evil


Cheers,

RR

LIPIPE wrote:
And that was the "modern era". Remember when you called a girl for a date you did it from the only phone in the house? It was a wallphone in the kitchen and you had a party line. When you called, the girl's mom answered and you were obliged to speak to her before her daughter? Man what a guy used to have to go through just to connect for Saturday night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Kids nowadays will never experience the dull agony of having to wait by the telephone just in case that special person were to call, while everyone else in the household went about their business, oblivious to your romantic despair...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWhkbDMISl8&ob=av2n
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

avatar

Age : 69
Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:58 pm

My phone number back then was Ludlow 3...LU3-2172. No area codes yet. All of New York City just had regular phone numbers. If you needed to call New Jersey you dialed 11 and then the phone number. Anything else was long distance requiring an operator. God help anybody today who dials 0 and thinks an operator will answer. Funny in the "olden days" we waited for a dial tone and then dialed our rotory dial. Today we press buttons, however, we still need dial tones. My kids once asked me what a dial is. I explained that it was a circle with holes all around it that you put your fingers in to twirl it around. Then you heard a ringing signal or you got a busy signal. Next question was "What's a busy signal?" After I tried to explain the response was "couldn't you just leave voice mail?" Man, am I an old fart or what?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Not quite as old a fart as you, but still I can relate.....

Always remember dialing zero first when making a "long distance call" and then talking to the "operator". The folks specifically made this a restricted activity, and told me to "keep it short!"

In fact they always drilled it into my head to keep all phone calls short in case "someone else" needed to call!

Remember when the push button phones came in. That was a revolution!


Cheers,

RR




LIPIPE wrote:
My phone number back then was Ludlow 3...LU3-2172. No area codes yet. All of New York City just had regular phone numbers. If you needed to call New Jersey you dialed 11 and then the phone number. Anything else was long distance requiring an operator. God help anybody today who dials 0 and thinks an operator will answer. Funny in the "olden days" we waited for a dial tone and then dialed our rotory dial. Today we press buttons, however, we still need dial tones. My kids once asked me what a dial is. I explained that it was a circle with holes all around it that you put your fingers in to twirl it around. Then you heard a ringing signal or you got a busy signal. Next question was "What's a busy signal?" After I tried to explain the response was "couldn't you just leave voice mail?" Man, am I an old fart or what?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Doc Manhattan

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Land of Steady Habits
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:46 am

Mr. Bogart--seen here in 1954's Sabrina--would like to have a word with you gentlemen reminsicing about the days before mobile phones...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wYk0lT8cWkU/TIKYQ1kbK5I/AAAAAAAAAZQ/ve81irDNk-A/s1600/Humphrey-Bogart.JPG
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
LIPIPE

avatar

Age : 69
Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:50 am

Judging by the time warp, my phone # is listed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Northern New Jersey
Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:50 pm

WaydeG wrote:
That takes me back as I had a "car phone"'for years until I got my first portable bag phone.


I remember that, I had an AudioVox? Installed in my vehicle around 1990.

Think it was about 1500 at the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmitzbitz



Age : 37
Location : Port Coquitlam, British Columbia
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Hey! I *still* had a party-line at my cabin in the Queen Charlotte Islands up until I sold it (the cabin) a couple of years ago! Only two other houses on the line, mind you, and all of us were part time residents, moving in and out with the fishing seasons.

I found it odd that we had to go from a seven digit number to a ten digit number up there, because they "were running out of numbers". Sandspit (the town my cabin was in) has a population of less than 500...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

avatar

Age : 66
Location : foothills of the Ozarks
Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:34 pm

StephenDownie wrote:
I remember using a phone that weighed and looked the same as a plastic cinder block. I miss the sound of eggs frying when I brought it to my ear. Twisted Evil

That was your brain, as those early versions sent out microwave pulses that could be clearly heard accross the galaxy today! affraid

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
Moderator
avatar

Location : Mexico City
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?   Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Natch wrote:
StephenDownie wrote:
I remember using a phone that weighed and looked the same as a plastic cinder block. I miss the sound of eggs frying when I brought it to my ear. Twisted Evil

That was your brain, as those early versions sent out microwave pulses that could be clearly heard accross the galaxy today! affraid

Natch

So thaaaat´s why Bernie Madoff slowly lost it.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: