HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:45 am

I didn't really know where to put this one. I might post it also over in the Tobacco Jar and see which generates better advice.

So, here's the thing. For the past couple of weeks it's been hot (well, for here) with ambient temps running in the 90's during the afternoon. Thank God it always gets down into the mid to high 50's at night. Go ahead and cringe if you live somewhere REALLY warm...we're used to it being COOL around here. Anyway - during that time I've been plagued by my pipes smoking hot...and I DO mean "smoking hot".

I've rotated pipes, tried cobs, used different capacity bowls, switched blends and cuts and levels of 'blend moistness' and density of packing and everything else I could thing of...but whatever I light up soon gets so hot I'm fearing for the safety of my beloved pipes themselves. I mean, the bowls are frequently too hot to touch. Bad. Very bad. I'm thinking of going into my cigar stores and giving the briars (etc.) a break.

What's going on? It doesn't seem reasonable...but it's like from an outside 80 F. to 90 F. the bowls have been smoking WAY faster as well. There's gotta be something going on that I can accomodate for and get back to enjoying my smokes instead of fearing for the life of my briars, but I haven't gotten a handle on it at all.

HELP!!! affraid

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:07 am

Heat and humidity have been factors down here in So. Cal, and my pipes have been smoking wet and hot as well. The weather took a turn for the better today, and voila! Back to pleasurable smoking!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:13 am

It HAS been pretty humid lately, along with the heat.

So what do the guys in the mid-west and southern states do - they've got half a year at least of the same thing and do fine.

Is it the CHANGE that's done it? I can't seem to conceive of how the Physics of that would work...but then, that's no surprise.

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am

Harlock999 wrote:
Heat and humidity have been factors down here in So. Cal, and my pipes have been smoking wet and hot as well. The weather took a turn for the better today, and voila! Back to pleasurable smoking!

Harlock is exactly right. The last two days the highs were 98 and 105 and I was not enjoying my pipes. And Wednesday I had a lot of rain in the morning and by noon it was 100 degrees so imagine the humidity... In fact, yesterday I didn't smoke at all. Which stinks because as I'm sure many of you know southern California had no power last night and you'd think I'd at least have my pipes to pass the time...

And today I enjoyed several pipes in very nice weather. The high was 75
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:56 am

Yeah, but that's kind of a different thing. It was lousy and you didn't smoke - didn't want to, etc.

What I'm curious about is what, if anything, the change has done to the physical aspects of smoking when it's like that...ie. how come my pipes are smoking (with me doing things just the same) at about 6000 F.!?! I mean, one of my favorite cobs has developed a swell along one side just up from the base and theres some visible cracking on the surface outside at the same place. The culpret...gotta be the super hot bowl burn. Til I get this thing figured out I'm going to be very, very carefull!!! No

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:49 am

It sounds to me as if you're puffing much too strongly/quickly, which of course will make your pipes heat up more than usual. Very warm or hot waether can mute the flavor of many/most blends and at least for me, the way to combat that is to make sure my blends are well dried. packed fairly loosely, and that I smoke them as slowly as possible, to extract as much flavor as i can from my smoke. In fact, when we had temps above 95*, the only two blends I could really taste were Storm Front, maybe because of the cigar leaf, and Park Lane's Knightsbridge, which has a good amount of Latakia in it. Everything else I tried had a washed out taste to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:55 am

Well, I'll give that try. At least I've a couple pounds of the 'right stuff' to try it with!

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:55 am

As I ponder this basic question, I wonder if that's why I've prefered perique over latakia this summer. . . . Has anyone else who tends towards both noticed that working for them? I do think that some blends work best in different conditions, but have no idea on how universal the differences might be! confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:59 pm

I find general humidity levels seem to affect my experience more than temperature. During the rainy season here (summer) I just don't get the same flavor or enjoyment. Seems like my pipes go sour.

When I'm up in AZ the dryness seems to improve the smoking, even at a balmy 107 degrees. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:59 pm

It's cool here again and the pipes are back to normal. I think the close to or over 90 F. in this neck of the woods is cigar time. It allowed me to reacquiant myself with a few notables like the Casa Magna, a few sizes of the Illusione line and even a few of my stash of bundles cigars that I think of quite highly.

There's gotta be something more than just that the temperature of the whole smoking thing is elevated...I think it has more to do with changes in the pipe itself due to the temp and humidity shifts. But then, there's usually only about 2 or maybe three weeks a year around here when the temp gets about 90 F. Yeah. Oregon, on the West Coast of the USofA has to be pretty much God's Country...Central. Moderate temperature, moderate humidity, very few bugs to bug you, not overly crowded with residents or touristas, cost of living pretty average...and the girls are all pretty and the kids above average...whatever. I guess it's another case of loving what you're used to! lol

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:37 am

We had a fairly miserable summer with plenty of humidity, in August we broke the century mark too many times. Until you brought it up, I really did not give it much thought. I tend to use my cobs and Lepeltiers when it gets really hot, and Latakia blends seem to work better in such misery in those two mediums. It seems if I use a briar, I tend to lean towards some sipping tobaccos like a Vaper or a straight Va. It's rough when your pipe already feels as warm as it does on a cool night before you light it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting   Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:21 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

I'm fearing for the safety of my beloved pipes themselves. I mean, the bowls are frequently too hot to touch. Bad. Very bad. I'm thinking of going into my cigar stores and giving the briars (etc.) a break.
HELP!!! affraid

I was told to try a cob on hot humid days, no fear of burn-out and in the unlikely event failure occurs a cob is only 10 bucks
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Summer - the time of Pipe Roasting
Page 1 of 1