HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Opening the draw on a full bent stem?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave_In_Philly

Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

Opening the draw on a full bent stem? Empty
PostSubject: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:16 am

Hey guys,

I have a Savinelli 614 (this one) which is a fully bent pipe.The problem is the draw is rather restricted. Its pretty cleary the fault of the stem. I'm not much of a craftsman, but it looks to me like drilling out a stem with as severe a bend as this wouldn't really be possible, would it? Is there anything I can do? Smoking it is becoming a bit of a chore.
Back to top Go down
Lesath

Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:41 am

Being a bent, I believe I'd hire it out. I think Walker's does it for twenty bucks or so.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:41 am

...granted these aren't carburetor jets bade of brass, but... wound guitar or bass string? *shrug*

I'd hire it out. That's the redneck in me trying to think again.
Back to top Go down
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 3:51 pm

The only thing you would have to do would be to heat the stem an bend it straight. Drill it, then heat again and bend back. There's a thread somewhere on here about heating a stem in the oven to adjust the bend but I can never seem to find anything when I need to
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 5:43 pm

A link to properly heating and working with stems via oven was hard to find for me, too, if someone could cross-link that here, I'd appreciate it, too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
forsooth

forsooth

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:07 pm

I've got the same pipe (614), and the air flow is nice. Thus, your pipe's stem could be an aberration and perhaps S. would offer to replace the stem. I've heard great things about their customer service.

I also have a 3/4 bent pipe (a Wellington) with a restricted air flow. I would welcome an inexpensive solution. There must be some industrial product or tool that is made for opening up the diameter of a small, curved tunnel.

Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:15 pm

forsooth wrote:
There must be some industrial product or tool that is made for opening up the diameter of a small, curved tunnel.
Man, is that ever a setup for a joke I'd have to ban myself for making.
Back to top Go down
http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Lesath

Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
forsooth wrote:
There must be some industrial product or tool that is made for opening up the diameter of a small, curved tunnel.
Man, is that ever a setup for a joke I'd have to ban myself for making.

However, for someone with the name of Doc, surely we can allow some "wiggle room."
Back to top Go down
forsooth

forsooth

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:00 am

Is nothing sacred? Evil or Very Mad

Note to self: Be very careful when discussing pipe stems. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dave_In_Philly

Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 11:02 am

Ok, thanks guys. Think I'll send it off to Walker and let Dave work his magic.
Back to top Go down
williamcharles

williamcharles

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 1:40 pm

Sorry to see this so late but if you haven't solved the problem already and want to bend the stem just don't dunk it in boiling water. Oxidizdes instantly. Hot air works best.
Back to top Go down
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"
Richard Hester

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 3:35 pm

The best way I found to bend a stem is to use a heat gun which will also make it streaght once you get the desired bend simply run it under some cold water. Also be crefull on the bit you use they can get hot and break off in your stem and then you will really have to send it off for a new one.
Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
Wayne_Teipen

Wayne_Teipen

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 1:17 am

Bent stems are heated and straightened, drilled/repaired, then heated and bent back which in and of itself takes some practice and a modicum of skill. If the overall airway diameter is on the small side it can be redrilled with a tapered drill bit. More often than not, though, the restriction is in the bit end. To do it right, you need specialty tools and have a bit of skill. The idea is to open the airway horizontally where it decreases vertically. The overall process is a bit more complicated than the average Do-it-yourselfer would want to attempt due to the potential for disasterous error. I would send it off to a professional for this repair. Walker's does great work.
Back to top Go down
http://teipenpipes.com
lb

Registration date : 2011-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 10:30 pm

In my experience,the safest and simplest way to heat a stem for get it straight or bend is on the hot sand box in optical shops.That's where optical frames are heated for adjustment.
Back to top Go down
asmoke

asmoke

Registration date : 2011-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Opening the draw on a full bent stem?   Opening the draw on a full bent stem? EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 10:38 pm

I don't know anything about Walkers work, but Wayne is right. Send it in. This isn't really a DIY kinda fix, not unless you feel like replacing the whole stem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.andrewstaplespipes.com

Opening the draw on a full bent stem?
Page 1 of 1