HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jobs vs Gates

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Jobs vs Gates   Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:00 am

I used to be part of the IT world, and in it, especially when I was supporting UNIX, it used to be de rigueur
to hate Microsoft. I think this was the case in that MS products were designed for the non-egghead
world; you need to click on many buttons to accomplish a task that could be done with one command with
UNIX - if you could remember the archane command.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WingRider

Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Jobs vs Gates   Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:23 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
I used to be part of the IT world, and in it, especially when I was supporting UNIX, it used to be de rigueur
to hate Microsoft. I think this was the case in that MS products were designed for the non-egghead
world; you need to click on many buttons to accomplish a task that could be done with one command with
UNIX - if you could remember the archane command.

I'll never forget back in the mid 90's going down to Ft. Lauderdale to collaborate on a project with a guy at Motorola. Was supposed to be down there for 3-4 days, it wound up being two weeks. So, Friday AM of the second week. Finally I'm done, all the data is collected, my flight's that afternoon, and all we need is to transfer the data. Unfortunately, the Motorola guy was a UNIX fanatic. And he could not quite remember the correct command syntax to transfer the data. Yeah, I would have had to click around on a few buttons to transfer it on my Mac or PC (I had a Mac at work and a PC at the house), but I could have done it in a few minutes. We took all morning. Once the guy finally got the syntax right, I looked at him and made some comment to that effect. I'll never forget his reply. "Yes, but look how powerful this command is." Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jobs vs Gates
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2