HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ADK_Pipe

Registration date : 2011-10-11

PostSubject: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Hello out there!

I've been a reader of the board for a while, but never joined up. But here I am!

I'm an Upstate New Yorker, living in the Adirondack Region. Picked up collecting pipes and tobacco back in college about ten years ago. I've been collecting and smoking off and on for that whole time. I have a few Pete's, a few Stanwells, two Boswells, a Jake Hackert, a Nielsen, two recently purchased Tim West pipes, and a few more varieties here and there. I'm a big fan of billiards and billiard off-shoots... but I've been getting more into bents lately.

Big fan of cobs, as well. Just recently started looking into those nice stems at Walker's. I probably smoke my cobs more than my nice briars.

Other than pipes, I'm a maker of a bunch of things, rustic crafts and such, a welder, maple syrup maker, beer brewer, wine maker, hop grower, etc. And, then I work a regular job during the day... heh.

Favorite tobacco - Adirondack Mixture from the now closed "With Pipe and Book" in Lake Placid. (Which, BTW is now blended by Cup O' Joes)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Welcome and good to meet you brother. I envy your home location. I've spent some happy vacation days in North Creek and appreciate the natural beauty of the Adirondack Park. Great place to smoke a pipe....great in the summer and splendid on a snowbank in the winter. Cup-o-Joe's will certainly take good care of your needs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Hello and Welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Welcome to the forums; I hope you enjoy your time here reading and posting!

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Lestrade

Registration date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Welcome to the forums!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ADK_Pipe

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks for the welcome(s)!!

LIPIPE --- You are right, the Adirondacks are a great place in both the winter and the summer for a pipe. I've had many good days in the woods during the winter and there is not much better than silence, snow and a nice warm pipe.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SailorJack

Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Welcome Aboard! Love the Adirondacks! Used to live in Syracuse back in the 80's. Old Forge, Tupper Lake,Saranac, Blue Mtn. Lake, Indian Lake, Long Lake, Thousand Islands,Oh how I miss them all. The Adirondacks was once named America's Best Kept Secret. Most people don't even know where they are. They don't know what they're missing. What part of Adirondacks do you call home?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ADK_Pipe

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:48 pm

They are a beautiful place! *Ssshhhh* Smile

I used to live on the northern side of the ADKs, near Canton. Now, I've moved to the southern side - just north of the Mohawk Valley on the West Canada Creek.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mike_68

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Hello and welcome ADK - an old upstater myself, Gloversville was were I grew up but I was born in Potsdam. Spent summers fishing and boating the Sacandaga and Long Lake....LOVE the Adirondacks...

Heading up in a couple of weeks to visit my family. Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ADK_Pipe

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi Mike ---

I worked in Gloversville for a few years and spent some time in Potsdam... Very familiar with both places! Man, I always loved Potsdam... just hard to find work up that way!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbreazeale

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:10 pm

Hello and Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Welcome ADK. I always enjoyed stopping at Pipe and Book in my travels. Glad to hear their blend is still being produced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boxerbuddy

Registration date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:25 pm

welcome fellow northeasterner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ADK_Pipe

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Boxerbuddy wrote:
welcome fellow northeasterner

... and a nice cool night it is out there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WaydeG

Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Welcome... Lots of great folks here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WingRider

Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:00 am

Welcome from another newbie. We lived for a while in the Berkshire's of Mass. Don't know if that counts as being somewhat in the neighborhood. I'm still trying to get up to Lake George one of these years for Americade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ADK_Pipe

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 am

Well, if you are ever up that way for Americade, stop a few exits down and visit Cup O' Joes. Great pipe and tobacco shop.

I've never gone to Americade, but I have some friends that do. It's too controlled for me... every year there are stories of road blocks and tickets for loud pipes, illegal helmets, etc., etc.,

It's a beautiful area up there, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WingRider

Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:46 am

ADK_Pipe wrote:
Well, if you are ever up that way for Americade, stop a few exits down and visit Cup O' Joes. Great pipe and tobacco shop.

I've never gone to Americade, but I have some friends that do. It's too controlled for me... every year there are stories of road blocks and tickets for loud pipes, illegal helmets, etc., etc.,

It's a beautiful area up there, though.

I've ordered a few things from Cup O' Joes before.

Also sounds like you ride. True? What are you riding?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bazsup

Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:06 am

I've wanted to spend a week up in the ADKs next summer but I don't really now where to start. I'm no woodsman so I need a base hotel to kind of get my bearings and figure the place out a little. Any suggestions where I should go?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ADK_Pipe

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:06 pm

WingRider: I have a HD sportster that I bought almost ten years ago... I've wanted to upgrade, but I've put some customization on this bike, and I really don't want to sell my first bike to finance another. I'll have to save up my pennies and wait Smile I've been curious to check out some Triumphs and such, too. But, I'm really interested in rebuilding something like an old 42WLA.

I usually attend the Harley Rendezvous in upstate NY each year. That's a good party Very Happy

bazsup: I would say to stay somewhere either around or in Lake Placid if you need a good base camp. The drive up is gorgeous and it would put you near a ton of hiking trails, canoeing spots, etc. There is stuff to do in town during the day and night, good food, etc. If you are looking for something a little more rustic, I would check out some of the "hotels" around Speculator. And, you can camp anywhere in the Park with some minor restrictions.

I spent two weeks once after college with a few friends, camping from town to town across the Adks and into Vermont. What a good time. We would camp and hike around, then go into towns for the night when we were close enough. What a blast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY   Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will have a great time here. I also live in the northeast, about 45 south of Boston.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee

New Guy Here --- Adirondack Mountains, NY
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1