HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Pipe for Noobs: There is No Pipe Technique

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: The Pipe for Noobs: There is No Pipe Technique   Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 am

I love this thread! Glad to see it resurface

Glad to see you too, Mike! I smoked an exquisite bowl of Cumberland this morning to wake me up. Espresso on the side. Dark roast. It was sublime, my brother! Smile

MisterE wrote:
Alfredo, in a nutshell, yes.

I know what you mean, though. Sometimes it seems like there's not as much flavor in a micro-puff. It's actually a little counterintuitive to smoke that way as well. One thing I like to do when I relight is not to light the entire surface area, but rather just in the middle. It burns mostly down the center of the bowl and tends to keep the overall temperature down, yet give a very flavorful smoke. If I take a bigger puff at some point, it still stays relatively cool. The tobacco around the edge of the bowl will fall into the center as you go. Give it a shot.

E, lately I've been using my finger more than a tamper after PD and PB discussing the Ken method in some other thread. Essentially, it yields similar results as the method you are describing.

I light the bowl, puff a bit until it goes out. Finger tamp. Re-light. The bowl burns down the middle then when the pipe is almost out or needs a tamp I use my finger directly in the middle and only push down until I feel the tobacco. As in the ash is fluffy but the tobacco underneath can be felt. The shape of my finger makes an indentation and the tobacco around the middle that has not burned will begin to. Re-light and or dump ash as needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: The Pipe for Noobs: There is No Pipe Technique   Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:14 pm

^^That's a good method too, Shane. The times I forget my tamper I end up using my finger and it does accomplish pretty much the same thing. It also helps you resist the urge to over tamp!! Cool

Good to see ya! Where have you been?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: The Pipe for Noobs: There is No Pipe Technique   Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the welcome back; good to be back.

Is the advantage of a light tamp with your finger vs. tamper that the sensitivity of a finger can sense just the right amount of the tamp? Also that slight tamp doesn't extinguish the ember but gently increases its burn through a bit of pressure or allows the relight to penetrate the tamped ash for a more effective relight?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: The Pipe for Noobs: There is No Pipe Technique   Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 pm

Quote :
the sensitivity of a finger can sense just the right amount of the tamp?

For me it is a sensitive tamp because I do not want to burn my finger on the hot coal underneath.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The Pipe for Noobs: There is No Pipe Technique   Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Somehow we all get a little voice bred into us that keeps insisting at awkward moments, "Oh, no, you can't do this. Not you. See, you made a mistake! That's awful! You should be very upset! Other people can do this right, but not you. Oh. my, you'll never learn . . . fussfussfuss."

When the litttle voice begins, just tell it to STFU and cheerfully go about whatever business interests you. With pipes it's mostly common sense and patience. Also a little help from your friends, but as you see that is freely given.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: The Pipe for Noobs: There is No Pipe Technique   Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:25 am

Slow smoking for me these days equals "clenched DGT..." busy doing other things, typing, reading, a little yard work at the not-in-laws...oops did my pipe go out? Darn. *flicks lighter* Ah! Much better. Laughing

This is a good thread.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: The Pipe for Noobs: There is No Pipe Technique   Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:26 am

MisterE wrote:
^^That's a good method too, Shane. The times I forget my tamper I end up using my finger and it does accomplish pretty much the same thing. It also helps you resist the urge to over tamp!! Cool

Good to see ya! Where have you been?

I've been lurking a bit lol after my knee surgery last month I was mostly spending my time in physical therapy etc. but I'm doing much, much better. Pretty close to 100% I reckon

Anyhow, all is well and It's good to be back
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: The Pipe for Noobs: There is No Pipe Technique   Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Figures I'd read this just as soon as I sent you a "how's it going, Shane" PM. Laughing

Glad to hear you're gettin' back to normal.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Pipe for Noobs: There is No Pipe Technique
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2