HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Special guest

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:29 pm

I was enjoying a bowl of MacBaren Navy Flake when this guy hopped down onto the ground. I'm sure it's probably a common sight in some parts, but I can't remember the last time I saw one around here. It kindly posed for some pictures before slowly walking away. A most unusual guest.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Mantises! That's a handsome one. They're the state insect here--$500 fine for killing one. Rarely, rarely see them, though.

(Why do we have a state insect at all? My theory is that they wanted something that makes schoolchildren giggle less than our state animal, the sperm whale.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Mantises! That's a handsome one. They're the state insect here--$500 fine for killing one. Rarely, rarely see them, though.

(Why do we have a state insect at all? My theory is that they wanted something that makes schoolchildren giggle less than our state animal, the sperm whale.)

That's neat, I had no idea!
A $500 fine is stiff, but they are beautiful.
In the first pic, the mantis was actually hanging upside down, but I took a little artistic license and rotated the photo...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:02 pm

cheers cheers cheers

I love mantids. Yours does look like a quite-pregnant female, she's probably looking for a place to deposit her egg case. Hopefully she's not around when they hatch, either, or she'll have a nice breakfast... Laughing

I had an interesting run-in with a neat mantis about a year ago during the summer. I think he ate a poisoned insect, or got into something he shouldn't have...

Here he is, all fine and dandy. I was happy to have him under the porch light, on the fire extinguisher box outside my apartment door.

A day later, I found him in "dead bug position" under the same box... oh crap! That sucks! However, he was still alive. His legs were all curled inward, but, he snapped his front legs at me vigorously when I tried to pick up what I thought was his corpse. Needless to say, I felt bad for him (I'm such a softie for weird things) and I spent two days with him in my project room, in a glass bowl with one of those barbecue sautee things with the holes in them. Actually, he escaped through the holes, and just sat there after a day. I figured, he wasn't going anywhere, might as well see if he'll hang out. He had partial use of his legs back at that point. I fed him some moths and water from an eye dropper, which he took to happily...

After another day he became quite frisky, and I found him hanging out on one of my cacti in the window of the project room. Okay, if you're that well, sir, time to go outside.

Outside he went. I put him under a different light, and within hours, was there, eating again...

I saw him for a few more days, doing his thing, then one day, he was gone. Hopefully off to make more tough little mantids to eat mosquitoes and other evil creatures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:06 pm

OK, now that is cool, Kyle!
Those are some great action shots!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Harlock999 wrote:

Pro tip: If your mantid girl hangs out more often, get some tweezers and try hand-feeding her some bugs... it's quite rewarding. Cool They tend to stick around places they know they get fed. Like little creepy, green cats, except not furry, noisy, and stinky. Cats also don't tend to eat pests so small, either. What nice garden guests!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:42 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:

Pro tip: If your mantid girl hangs out more often, get some tweezers and try hand-feeding her some bugs... it's quite rewarding. Cool They tend to stick around places they know they get fed. Like little creepy, green cats, except not furry, noisy, and stinky. Cats also don't tend to eat pests so small, either. What nice garden guests!

That's really cool. I didn't know you could feed em.
I'll have to try that next time I see one.
We see em every now and then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Just use slim tweezers and approach 'em slow with anything wriggly or fluttery...they'll go right for it! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Wow!
This is amazing!
Who would have known that there were this many "mantis-heads" (has this phrase already been coined?) on the BoB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:40 pm

They're all over my porch for much of the year here in Arkansas. Fun little puppies to watch. I just wish they'd eat walking sticks, as their a real problem for our trees down here.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Natch wrote:
They're all over my porch for much of the year here in Arkansas. Fun little puppies to watch. I just wish they'd eat walking sticks, as their a real problem for our trees down here.

Natch

I didn't know that walking sticks were bad for trees.
We have them here, too. Not very many, though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:18 pm

I haven't seen a walking stick in years. Mantis, we have them. I moved one from the car to a bush on a stick this year.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Great photos. They're pretty thick around here, seeming to thrive around the paw-paws, roses, and Star of India. They prefer depositing their egg cases on the astors, and we tend to share them amongst those less fortunate. When they hatch, they waste no time weeding each other out. Once more, great photos, thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:16 am

Harlock,
I think that second photo is amazing. That is a massive mantis. Wow! Thanks for posting the pictures. They are good luck to come across and on 11/11/11 it must mean that something good is coming your way. I see them from time to time, but haven't seen one in the way you captured this one.
Thanks,
Milan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:35 am

Milan wrote:
Harlock,
I think that second photo is amazing. That is a massive mantis. Wow! Thanks for posting the pictures. They are good luck to come across and on 11/11/11 it must mean that something good is coming your way. I see them from time to time, but haven't seen one in the way you captured this one.
Thanks,
Milan

Thank you Milan, I appreciate it!
It wasn't easy getting these shots. I had to stretch out my arm as far as I could reach, which put the camera about 6 inches from the mantis, point the lens in it's general direction, then use the auto focus. I was lucky she stayed put for a while, because most of the shots were either off target or blurry.
Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:21 am

Here's an Arizona nocturnal visitor from this summer....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:30 am

Nevada has its share of eight-leggers like that, too. Tough suckers...see em as late as December trying...very....slowly....to get from one place to another... at 28 degrees... *laughs*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:49 am

I would gladly trade some Black Widows or Brown Recluses for the tarantula. I take it you are as accustomed to them as we are to our indigenous neighbors?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:09 am

Mister E,
If I saw that thing in my house I would crap my pants. I'm not scared of much, but big spiders freak me out. Just looking at it on the computer gives me the heebie jeebies.
Milan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:29 am

Last edited by Simple Man on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:29 pm

MisterE wrote:
Here's an Arizona nocturnal visitor from this summer....

If one of those got in the house, I would have to move out!
I'd tell the spider, "dude, the place is yours, I'm out of here..."
That hairy sucker would creep me OUT!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stackle2

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:53 pm

If I found that ^^^ in the house, the wife would be living at the marriot quicker than you could say Orkin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Awww, it's just a fuzzy li'l spider... sheesh.

Plus, I hear in the Amazon, they're quite a delicacy... Heheheheh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:21 am

OK, I promise to stop posting pictures of bugs after this, but I almost stepped on this abomination a few minutes ago. Nothing uglier...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Special guest   Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:37 am

Ah! The Jerusalem cricket! A fine ugly!

Only things uglier may be our local Mormon Crickets, which come out in earth-blanketing swarms every spring for a few weeks (skid off the road due to the suckers once...)...they're famous for eating each other as a way to make it to their destinations...

...and then... the camel spider... nasty bastards...they're all over Nevada...

...don't stop posting bugs!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Special guest
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: