HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   Empty
PostSubject: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 6:55 am

Trever Talbert has some pretty cool pipes, but I do have to admit, some of the "sitters" he's made don't really appeal to my sense of bizarre... they seem a bit overcompensated, like something unbalanced was forced and converged in an off manner...

http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/talbert.shtml

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   1124t4

This I found neat, though...really focused on the birdseye, but gave masterful rustication...

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   1114t9
Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   1114t5

...and this...

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   1110t9

http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/talbert.shtml

==============================================================

...and then theres Michail Revyagin... this guy is SERIOUSLY out there... I dig his style. Cool It's funny, he gets more and more abstract with each year's collection... there's some really interesting things in there, like 'em or not--the guy's an artist--finding excellent balance amongst imbalance, if there ever was such a thing. His "standard" shapes are no less breathtaking. One thing he does in his more recent work is accentuating and making surreal very mundane parts of the pipe... like bends, stems, curves, sizes... I wonder where he gets his briar to do this stuff?

Wow! This one's called "The Nautilus." Can't see the resemblance, but... still nifty!

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   Nautilus1
Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   Nautilus2

Whatever the title is. Thanks, Cyrillic alphabet.

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   IMG_2829.JPG_600

Uh.... Laughing

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   IMG_3087.JPG_600

"Mr. Tubos."

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   IMG_1368.JPG_600

Do the twist...!

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   IMG_4893.JPG_600
Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   IMG_4901.JPG_600

"Proboscis."

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   120607-1.jpg_600

============================================================

Seriously, go check out his other stuff... it's wild... http://mrpipes.ru/

Sorry if any of this disturbed anyone... it's late, still have a cold and the Internet got the best of me.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Stackle2

Stackle2

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:42 am

I really like some of the Talbert's. They are incredible. Weird & outrageous, but definately awesome.
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:09 am

Last edited by Simple Man on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Toe Cutter

Toe Cutter

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Very interesting, I can definitely see myself smoking a couple of those
Back to top Go down
Boulder

Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Kind of what you would expect Dr. Seuss characters to smoke, if they smoked a pipe. I like them all for the art and creativity, but I couldn't imagine actually using one.

What he said. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 12:32 pm

I think the nautilus is amazing.
I'm guessing that you can see the smoke through the little portholes?
Back to top Go down
Stackle2

Stackle2

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Did anyone else see his goblin series? I love those. & also the morta/meerschaum calabash, that looks absolutely amazing.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
I think the nautilus is amazing.
I'm guessing that you can see the smoke through the little portholes?

I was honestly wondering the same thing. He's really into affixing stuff to some of his pipes, and from what I can tell, those "portholes" are either partially glass and mirror, or they're all glass, looking into a hollow chamber. I sure hope they pop out to clean... the color change would be a VERY fun process to watch, in any case! As well as the smoke.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 1:57 pm

...in addition, I'm not sure I'd smoke out of many of them, even if I liked them... much better on a pedestal with a light shining on them. It all depends on how they fit in the mouth and hand... if they were balanced physically as much as they were in art abstraction, I suppose that'd make them a real treasure. At least to me!
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm a huge fan of Revyagin's work. It's totally unlike anything else out there and his innovations are extremely exciting. His interpretations of the blowfish shape are simply mindblowing! The bee calabash: brilliant! And then to see him taking his own innovations and then innovating them... this guy is really something else.

There's a two part interview of Revyagin at TobaccoDays.com which in large part tells the story of the Nautilus pipe mentioned in this post!

Here's part 1:
http://tobaccodays.com/changing-the-game/

Here's part 2:
http://tobaccodays.com/changing-the-game-part-2/

In case you're still curious where Revyagin gets his wood, he buys from a Spanish supplier by the name of Jaume Hom. Here's his website: http://www.briarblocks.com/pipes/index.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Just went to check out Revyagin's website to get caught up and was blown away by the stuff he's done in 2011. He just keeps getting better and better!

Michail Revyagin 2011 Collection
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
mdavis12

Registration date : 2011-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:40 pm

I dont think I could smoke some of those pipes, they are too crazy haha
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 1:17 am

UberHuberMan wrote:
Just went to check out Revyagin's website to get caught up and was blown away by the stuff he's done in 2011. He just keeps getting better and better!

Michail Revyagin 2011 Collection

2012 Line: Laser beams as standard equipment? Laughing Multiple bowls and/or stems? cyclops The guy's got some skill.
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Pretty amazing artistic qualities fit for an art show but as far as smokability just not my cup of tea. Like they say, "different strokes for different folks".
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 2:57 pm

Yep. Cool Poor guys in the http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t9202p90-what-shapes-do-you-dislike-the-most thread... they're probably putting me on a "blocked" list at this point... Laughing

Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Yep. Cool Poor guys in the http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t9202p90-what-shapes-do-you-dislike-the-most thread... they're probably putting me on a "blocked" list at this point... Laughing

Well, the number of guys on this forum who really appreciate (and can afford) art pipes is pretty low.
My taste in pipes is progressive, but not quite avant garde. Think Pink Floyd, as opposed to Van Der Graaf Generator (although I do like VDGG!)
But I say vive le differance! Let the freak flag fly. That's how the more interesting discussions are born.
So cheers to you Kyle, not that I'm in the least bit worried that you would be swayed by the tide!

However, when it comes to jazz, I do like the weird stuff...
Back to top Go down
laherb

laherb

Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Hey Kyle,

Another great pipe maker that is out of the ordinary is Wallenstein pipes. Some of them are very creature like, I'm a huge fan of his finishing style. Here's some of his work if you haven't seen it before.
http://www.blue-lobster-pipes.com/en/wallenstein.htm#

Abe
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 12:56 am

laherb wrote:
Hey Kyle,

Another great pipe maker that is out of the ordinary is Wallenstein pipes. Some of them are very creature like, I'm a huge fan of his finishing style. Here's some of his work if you haven't seen it before.

Abe

Good call, Abe... about the only thing I don't like are the garish colors. I guess where I draw the line is how the wood is displayed. I REALLY LIKE wood grain, and covering it up when you're using good material kind of defeats the purpose of working with something as opposed to against it... eh, maybe that's just me.

This particular pipe just blew me away... It looks like it is in motion, and I love that. Cool

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   P1030508_gr
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 12:59 am

Harlock999 wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Well, the number of guys on this forum who really appreciate (and can afford) art pipes is pretty low.
My taste in pipes is progressive, but not quite avant garde. Think Pink Floyd, as opposed to Van Der Graaf Generator (although I do like VDGG!)
But I say vive le differance! Let the freak flag fly. That's how the more interesting discussions are born.
So cheers to you Kyle, not that I'm in the least bit worried that you would be swayed by the tide!

However, when it comes to jazz, I do like the weird stuff...

I like status quo, I like what goes against status quo. Because without status quo, there is nothing to go against in contrast. That should sum up all of my appreciation for everything in life I surround myself with. Cool

(...and a great way to say, "...hell yes I don't give a f**k... WOOOO!" ...but that would be trashy. Laughing

It's all quite amusing in the end (or it should be), and everyone should be comfortable where they are.
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 2:44 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
laherb wrote:
Hey Kyle,

Abe

Good call, Abe... about the only thing I don't like are the garish colors. I guess where I draw the line is how the wood is displayed. I REALLY LIKE wood grain, and covering it up when you're using good material kind of defeats the purpose of working with something as opposed to against it... eh, maybe that's just me.

This particular pipe just blew me away... It looks like it is in motion, and I love that. Cool

Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   P1030508_gr

I like that one, too.
It's bizarre, but I love a sitter. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 2:51 am

It's a good example of I WOULD try and smoke it, but I'd have to try REAL HARD not to break it. There are some physical design parameters that just limit smokability...either cumbersome design, inconvenient design or breakable design.

My absolute favorite weirdness is one that I can treat like a normal pipe, interact with it, care for it and enjoy it by its original and intrinsic nature, but mostly just be blown away every time I look at it while smoking. Smile At the very least, I'd hope that when I buy a real abstract piece, it comes with its own stand, as likely traditional stands are for traditional designs!
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:26 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:

Kyle,
NO, you are not going on any blocked list as far as I'm concerned. Everyone has a different interpretation as to what one likes to collect/smoke and I certainly find it quite interesting what some carvers are doing out there. Thanks for the unique pipe photos it makes things interesting to say the least!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 1:02 pm

docwatson wrote:

Kyle,
NO, you are not going on any blocked list as far as I'm concerned. Everyone has a different interpretation as to what one likes to collect/smoke and I certainly find it quite interesting what some carvers are doing out there. Thanks for the unique pipe photos it makes things interesting to say the least!! Very Happy

...of course I was totally joking. Smile Okay I admit, I only blocked a few people that are into straight billiards, and I had a bug-eyed fit over some paneled pipes, but I'm walking it off... albino albino albino

...another attractive element I find in some of these wacky pipes is how flexible briar can be. I read someplace that the stuff is getting rare, not only because 100 year old pieces that make the grade are harder to find, but the folks willing to do menial, dirty work for them are also harder to find. I'm not going to be as impressed with pipes made out of other material. Briar is the main reason why I smoke pipes--it's debatably the most beautiful wood turned in any craft.
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.    Pipecarving weirdsville.  Do not adust your screen.   EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 1:10 pm

[quote="Kyle Weiss"]
docwatson wrote:

Briar is the main reason why I smoke pipes--it's debatably the most beautiful wood turned in any craft.

That there is so true!
Back to top Go down

Pipecarving weirdsville. Do not adust your screen.
Page 1 of 1