HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:41 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Love the new editions!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Harlock, I think they still make that, but they call it Istanbul now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:28 pm

this tin has a date of 1893.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:34 am

George Kaplan wrote:

I believe it was tinned in in Ceylon at that time. Or was it Occupied Japan? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:05 am

MisterE wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:

I believe it was tinned in in Ceylon at that time. Or was it Occupied Japan? Razz

Probably Siam, but if we keep this up I'll start calling my Rhodesians "Zimbabweans".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Tue May 29, 2012 12:05 am

Paid a whopping $1 for this last weekend.

Tobacco was no extra charge. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Tue May 29, 2012 12:11 am

So, how does it smoke ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Tue May 29, 2012 12:17 am

monbla256 wrote:

I'm not sure I want to try. I could attempt to re-hydrate it, but what if I really liked it? It's not like I can go buy some more at the same price. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Tue May 29, 2012 11:54 pm

George Kaplan wrote:

How did I miss this? lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Wed May 30, 2012 7:10 am

Richard Hester wrote:
A few characters in the Sherlock Holmes stories smoked that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Wed May 30, 2012 11:55 am

DrT999 wrote:
Richard Hester wrote:
A few characters in the Sherlock Holmes stories smoked that!

DrT999 you sir are indeed correct also in the My Lady Nicotine which is a great read if you have not read it.
Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
TheSmokeamater

Registration date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:15 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

I'm not sure I want to try. I could attempt to re-hydrate it, but what if I really liked it? It's not like I can go buy some more at the same price. Razz
I would smoke it because a 150lb airconditioner could fall from a 7 storie bldg and kill me today. You may as well consume all the baccy you can. Allow yourself the widest range of expirience possible in life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:21 pm

TheSmokeamater wrote:
I would smoke it because a 150lb airconditioner could fall from a 7 storie bldg and kill me today. You may as well consume all the baccy you can. Allow yourself the widest range of expirience possible in life.

Well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it. Now that air conditioner season has finally arrived in Michigan, I guess it's about time I read Gravity's Rainbow, hit the needle, and hooked up with a tranny. Heck, 'Mater, you want some? The 'baccy, not the tranny; (s)he refuses to get in the mailbox. Seriously, if you want to try "a legendary mixture" of unknown vintage, I'll send you some. I've got a few other parcels from my cellar shipping out on Monday, I'll add yours to the pile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:18 pm

A couple more I've got knocking around...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:24 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
A couple more I've got knocking around...

I like the Velvet pipe cleaner holder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Fight'n Hampsters wrote:
I like the Velvet pipe cleaner holder.
Those old flat tins are the perfect size for a 100-ct bag of pipe cleaners. I keep meaning to add some lead shot to the bottom of one to make it more stable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:46 pm

If I hadn't started collecting tins I may never have learned that Half and Half was originally a mixture of Lucky Strike burley and Bagley's Buckingham Bright Cut Plug. (Like in tha first pic I posted here)

Plus it came in these neat little telescoping tins. In case you only wanted the "Half" of it. Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Now that is an attractive tin made all the more attractive by an attractive pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:59 pm

gravel wrote:
Now that is an attractive tin made all the more attractive by an attractive pipe.

Damn Right! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sean68

Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Uh oh, a new hobby?   Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:20 am

Gentlemen, this has been an incredibly interesting thread! Being new to pipes I was unaware of the wealth of history and culture that could be enjoyed through the collection of old tobacco tins. This would be a fun addition to the collection of the pipes themselves. I feel some antique shop visits coming when I return home...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:17 am

George Kaplan wrote:
If I hadn't started collecting tins I may never have learned that Half and Half was originally a mixture of Lucky Strike burley and Bagley's Buckingham Bright Cut Plug. (Like in tha first pic I posted here)

Huh . . . learn something new every day! Now you just have to find some Bagley's Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 am

Sean68 wrote:
...This would be a fun addition to the collection of the pipes themselves. I feel some antique shop visits coming when I return home...

Antique shops are usually your best bet for finding bargains on these, especially if you just want a few for decorating your man cave, rather than building a complete set of rarities. Any Bagley tins on ebay usually sell for $50-$150, but I don't think I've ever payed more than $5 for one of mine.
On a side note (with a short history lesson thrown in), some of you may know that my real name is, in fact, George K. Bagley. The Bagley Tobacco Company was founded in Detroit by a distant relation of mine, John J. Bagley, who later became a police commissioner, an alderman of Detroit, helped found the republican party, and served as Governor of Michigan from 1873 to 1877.
He began his career at age 15 as an apprentice with the Mayflower Tobacco Company in Detroit. 7 years later he bought them out and eventually turned his company into an industry leader. Surprisingly, Detroit was a major player in the tobacco business at the time. A lot of quality leaf actually came from the fields of southern Ontario, just across the river.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Another random Bagley:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
number_seven

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins   Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:45 am

George Kaplan wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:
Ten cents for a pocket tin?!! How dare they flay us with these prices! I'm sending a telegram to congress right now!

Before you know it, they'll be raising the price of petroleum distillate for my horseless carriage. Boy! fetch me my "yelling whiskey"!

My vote for quote of the year.

/"yelling whiskey"
/HAH!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.neurasthenia.us

WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next