HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

languages

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Boxerbuddy

Registration date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: languages   Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:46 pm

While I definately am a red blooded American, I do appreciate foreign things. I'm interested to know what languages sound good to your ears and which ones don't. I'm also interested to hear how English sounds to people who's native language is not English.
To me Russian sounds beautiful. It reminds me of secret missions and intrigue. Perhaps I've watched too many movies lol.
Strangely enough I like the sound of Finnish, I like the choppiness and quick cadence of it.
I also like the sound of Welsh.

As for languages I don't like....I'm not much for French unless a half naked maid is speaking it.
I don't like the sound of Cantonese or Mandarin and ditto for Hebrew.
I think with French and Hebrew it's the gutteral sounds I don't like.

Also I love the way English sounds spoken by women with a New Zealand accent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:46 am

I know down here people make a lot of fun of how we say 'R'. Ruhruhruh. Evil or Very Mad

Portuguese is an odd language you don't hear very often but it has a nice lilt to it.

Italian I like a lot.

Ditto Chinese. Not the sexiest language. Unless she's speaking English with a Chinese accent. Twisted Evil

I had a Latvian girlfriend in school and that's a cool language! I couldn't make out a word.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:56 am

Two votes for Italian!
Rrrr...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:32 am

I love the sound of Portuguese.
Even though I don't understand
any of it, I love Brazilian music.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:38 am

My wife is 100% Portuguese, I love when she speaks it. She can also write it which is very cool I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:42 am

Well you Americans do sound funny what with your crazy accents! (not counting the boston,new york,cajun and southern ones)

Actually the only really difference i can hear is when you say engine it sounds like (in-jun) and when you guys say roof it sounds like (ruff). Other than that they say i sound like i'm from montana which isn't surprising in the least.

As for languages my fiance speaks a bit of Finnish and it is interesting but not beautiful as it is very paced and choppy

Actually German holds a place in my brain for some reason, i find it can be very musical and the inflections are very similiar to english although it is a lot more powerful language than english.

The french i hear most is Quebecois french which uses a lot more slang and is much more laid back and appealing although i'm sure the folks in Paris would consider it dreadful.

Italian is beautiful, Gaelic is halting and i also find Russian to be quite interesting and not without its charm.

just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeroWolfe

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:49 am

I myself am fluent in a variety of languages: Brooklynese, Kansan, Texican, Cajun, New Mexican, Californian, Floridan, and Virginian !!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could learn more of Harlock999's Italian dialect, though!! I might even give up pipe smoking for some personal "language lessons" by that magnificent woman instructor !!! LOL !!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:53 pm

I train in a Japanese martial art, Aikido. I know phrases and bits and pieces of Japanese. I don't find it "beautiful," as I do find it expressive. I speak Spanish somewhat fluently, but dialects vary greatly--I find Mexican Spanish gutteral and filled with slang, not very pretty. Cuban, Argentinian and Espana Spanish sounds really cool.

Russian is a neat language, also very expressive. I also like Ukraine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:12 pm

I think a British accent on a woman is incredibly sexy. French is a lovely language as is Japanese. I had a professor in college who grew up in Japan and spoke both English and Japanese fluently. While in his office one day, he took a call from his wife and spoke with her in Japanese for several minutes. I found the language to be beautiful and fluid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:17 pm

I tried German in college and quickly dropped it when I discovered that 4 years of high school Latin could satisfy a foreign language requirement.
While the spoken words maybe difficult to understand, the emotional feelings are a little easier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jar

Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:59 pm

In my - foreign - perspective:

English is great because of it's logical simplicity. I feel that it somehow derives from Latin. Understanding spoken English is another matter; many foreigners understand the best so called "International English" that we, no-native speakers use. Considering native speakers: I understand the best Scottish pronunciation. Biggest problems I had when listening to some forms of British "English-English" in some parts of London, in Kent etc. areas; no problems with"Oxford English" sometime called, I believe, the "Quinn's English". Famous English actress Helen Mirren speaks not only beautiful, but also fully understandable for us, foreigners, English. I also had no problem with understanding New Zealanders and Canadians. With American Friends the question depends: no bigger problems with understanding the language that I remember from New York, Manhattan, or Washington D.C., and from San Francisco - Bay Area. I had problems with understanding the Texan "drawl".

I love French and Russian as languages for songs. Georges Brassens, Edith Piaff, Gilbert Becaud, Aznavour…

I admire logic and order of German with it's comparatively simple pronunciation (in opposition to Danish, and - sometime - to different English pronunciation in different places).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:04 pm

...however, English (according to polyglots I've queried) has more bizarre and broken "rules" than any other language. Whether or not this is true, I have no idea. I do know there's a lot of stupid rules that never seem to apply 100%. English has a way about it, though.

Klingon, now there's a fancy language. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:29 pm

Momentico, na-ie pue-e comprendeh lo Cuwano....

No mames guey!!

Será gilipollas?!

Vos saves.... es un pelotudo!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:56 pm

... jIH yImev Sov nuq SoH ja'ta'...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:

What is thet? Klingonese??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:36 pm

MisterE wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

What is thet? Klingonese??

Yes... it said "I don't know what you wrote." Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:45 pm

LOL! Cool!

They're just joking examples of Cuban, Mexican, Spanish, and Argentinian Spanish.

Just a moment, nobody can understand Cubans...

No mames guey!!

No way, dude!! Mexico

Será gilipollas?! Spain

Is he nuts?

Vos saves.... es un pelotudo! Arg

You know.... he's a lazyass....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:04 pm

MisterE wrote:
LOL! Cool!

They're just joking examples of Cuban, Mexican, Spanish, and Argentinian Spanish.

Just a moment, nobody can understand Cubans...

No mames guey!!

No way, dude!! Mexico

Será gilipollas?! Spain

Is he nuts?

Vos saves.... es un pelotudo! Arg

You know.... he's a lazyass....

...for a moment I was thinking "Cuwano" was referring to bat excrement... Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:13 pm

^Yeah, kinda sounds like that, don't it!? Cuban Espańol is really hard to understand....

What I need is one of these:

lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: languages   Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:19 pm

MisterE wrote:
^Yeah, kinda sounds like that, don't it!? Cuban Espańol is really hard to understand....

What I need is one of these:

lol!

Next year, if I get you for Secret Santa. Cool lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: languages   Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:17 pm

Some commentary heard recently on the one of the brilliant Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) send-ups of one of those Japanese monster movies (one of the Gamera films, I think):
    Servo: Jeez...that bit of dialog sounded like a goat choking on its own vomit.

Mike: Right...sort of like the German language, only prettier.

Great way to hear all kinds of foreign language accents is to watch Michael Palin's travelogues. Some of those Eastern European wimminfolk speaking English is downright erotic.

Biggest linquistic joke of the 20th century: Ebonics.

One of the most brilliant literary adaptations of any English language dialect is Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn...which is brilliant for other reasons as well.

I love the Cuban accent speaking English. There's a big Cuban-American community hereabouts, and I've had the pleasure of working with some of those folks.

I guess this thread is confined to spoken (natural) languages, so I'll refrain from waxing ebullient about the virtues of mathematics.

Proper English spoken by English wimmin: YOW!! Gotta go take a cold shower...

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: languages   Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:14 pm

Vito, I'd love to hear about the language of mathematics. Remember this is "The Round Table."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Mathematics as a language   Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Most Esteemed Signore Alfredo:

Well, compared to natural languages, mathematics is a very different kind of trip. It has great power because it is capable of great precision (great specificity), and because the operating rules don't change. One of its greatest advantages is noise reduction. Everything means something, and it only means one thing. There's no guessing. The operations — for example, +, –, x, ÷, ∑, ∂, ∫, ...etc. — always work the same way. IOW, it has a low bullshit factor.

In that sense, mathematics is a superb tool for communicating, because there's no ambiguity. If you read what someone else wrote and you don't know what he means, you ask him. And, if he's doing it right, he can answer in a comprehensible way. It eliminates uncertainty. It's one of the reasons why we make progress in sciences that use mathematics as their language, while other domains of human endeavor are mired in bullshit. They can't define their terms, so no one has any idea WTF anyone else is talking about. Or worse, they don't even know that they don't know what they're talking about. Not that I'm thinking of politics, or anything.

Of course, mathematics has limitations. It's only good for what it's good for. In the end, it doesn't have any practical value without definitions that tie the symbols to something in the real world. There are plenty of things about pure mathematics that are interesting (...well, to some folks anyway), but ultimately, in order to be useful, mathematics must have some semantic content; it has to mean something.

The 20th century mathematicians (notably Russell, Whitehead, and Hilbert) who tried to recreate the whole of mathematics from a few simple axioms failed, but no one knew why until Kurt Gödel proved that what they were trying to do was impossible. In a nutshell, Gödel showed that there is no such thing as a completely self-contained abstract logical system that isn't trivial. Everything that means anything has to refer to something outside itself to have any significance. There are deep philosophical implications...which I leave to your imagination.

For all its advantages, mathematics wouldn't work very well for most of the kind of communicating we humanoids do (...or try to do Wink ). It certainly doesn't cover all (or even most) aspects of human experience. IOW, it would suck as a natural language. It can't handle anything more than simple relationships. For example, while we manage to solve 2-body problems pretty well, and we can handle certain kinds of 3-body problems (sort of), there is still no general solution to the n-body problem.

What that means is that mathematics is impoverished in its ability to handle complex relationships...which includes most of the stuff that happens in the universe. So, for all its great power as a tool we've learned to use with great skill, it's actually quite limited in its scope where natural, complex systems are concerned.

But there's an irony therein. Despite all its limitations as regards the natural world, it's still not completely divorced therefrom. For example, the laws of gravitational, electrical, and magnetic forces all follow an inverse square law, like Newton’s law of gravitation…

Newton's Law of Gravitation

...wherein the forces of attraction or repulsion vary inversely as the square of the distance between them. It's a precise mathematical relationship, and it really is the way the universe (given name: "Bob") works. It's not something we just made up. We (...well, Isaac Newton) noticed that that's the way it works.

So, in that sense, mathematics is...well, if not a "natural language", then at least it's to some degree a language of nature.

Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: languages   Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:26 pm

The ideas in your post are breathtaking! Not that at this time I understand any of them very well (I linked to the Wiki article on Godel for a short read, but I shall return), but watch out! Your post awakened a long-slumbering desire to become more familiar with mathematics, logic and philosophy (honest), this from a very reluctant student in mathematics in grammar and secondary schools, who only discovered any utility in mathematics, for its abstract beauty, in college. In fact I smugly told my college algebra professor on walking out the door at the end of the term that mathematics had no eschatological usefulness. My how it was fun to use that term in public for the first time!

While it may be true that I was correct, mathematics certainly has great value in understanding natural phenomena and in and of itself, for its pure beauty, and your words resurrected my wish to know more about these powers and beauty. This reawakened desire touches me in a way that seems true, not casual.

Thank you for contributing to that, at this time, nascent desire, oh wizened west coast wanderer in the mathematical, physical realm. I'll let you know when I'm nominated for my work, eclipsing Godel's, in these new spheres!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: languages   Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:46 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
...I'll let you know when I'm nominated for my work, eclipsing Godel's, in these new spheres!
Go for it, bro'!! cheers

jocolor
Back to top Go down

languages
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next