HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Help with packing and such.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rymsk

Registration date : 2011-10-28

PostSubject: Help with packing and such.   Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:23 am

Hello guys, First off thanks for reading and any help you can give me, So, I have looked up several ways to pack my Pipe, And tried them all to the best of my knowledge. But for some reason my Pipe will not stay lit for more than a few seconds, I use a Bic Lighter although I am not sure if that has any effect on it, Any tips or reasons why this is happening would be great, Thanks again friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stackle2

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Help with packing and such.   Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:35 am

Maybe if you would describe exactly how you pack, one of the knowlegeable gentlemen around here could pinpoint the issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josjor

Registration date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Help with packing and such.   Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:56 am

There are probably a thousand threads concerning this and within those threads there are probably tens of thousands of replies. As such, I'm not sure there is much I can add, but I'll try with a few suggestions.

If the tobacco won't stay lit at all it could be a couple of things:

1. The baccy is too moist. Let it dry out some more by putting some in an uncovered bowl and checking it every hour or so. I use the pinch test and like it when you pinch a bit and it just fails to clump together.

2. You aren't getting enough of an ember started with your light-up. Move the flame over the entire top of the tobacco while drawing until the whole top of the tobacco is glowing nicely.

Some tobacco's like a good charring light before they will take off. That means you do #2 above and when the tobacco goes out you lightly tamp it down and light again.

As for packing, there seem to be a million methods, but in the end most of them will have the tobacco packed a bit loose so that it feels spongy when pressed with the finger (i.e. if you push down a bit the tobacco springs back up when released.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Help with packing and such.   Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:19 am

Josjor wrote:
There are probably a thousand threads concerning this and within those threads there are probably tens of thousands of replies. As such, I'm not sure there is much I can add, but I'll try with a few suggestions.

If the tobacco won't stay lit at all it could be a couple of things:

1. The baccy is too moist. Let it dry out some more by putting some in an uncovered bowl and checking it every hour or so. I use the pinch test and like it when you pinch a bit and it just fails to clump together.

2. You aren't getting enough of an ember started with your light-up. Move the flame over the entire top of the tobacco while drawing until the whole top of the tobacco is glowing nicely.

Some tobacco's like a good charring light before they will take off. That means you do #2 above and when the tobacco goes out you lightly tamp it down and light again.

As for packing, there seem to be a million methods, but in the end most of them will have the tobacco packed a bit loose so that it feels spongy when pressed with the finger (i.e. if you push down a bit the tobacco springs back up when released.)

What he said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Help with packing and such.   Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:53 am

I also agree with Josjor. Just remember:

Even experienced pipers sometimes have problems (no matter what they claim; well, except for me of course Rolling Eyes );

Everyone has a favorite level of tobacco moisture to smoke any given tobacco at, but in general, if it ain't crisp it probably isn't too dry to try;

Everyone has a prefered packing density for every blend, but unless it all falls out when you turn the pipe over (try it over a dish or plate -- less mess) it probably isn't too loose to give it a charring light at least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Help with packing and such.   Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Great answers to an otherwise broad-spectrum question! Keep us updated, Rymsk. Cool We'll help get it worked out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gumball

Registration date : 2011-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Help with packing and such.   Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Rymsk wrote:
Hello guys, First off thanks for reading and any help you can give me, So, I have looked up several ways to pack my Pipe, And tried them all to the best of my knowledge. But for some reason my Pipe will not stay lit for more than a few seconds, I use a Bic Lighter although I am not sure if that has any effect on it, Any tips or reasons why this is happening would be great, Thanks again friends.

I will leave it to more experienced pipesters to offer advice on packing.

I just want to let you know that even after a while (and I am still a newbie) this happens. Sometimes I get frustrated with constant relights, and have even considered giving up on pipes Shocked At which time it is best to take a break, relax, and not worry so much about it. I have learned that it is NOT the pipes fault Very Happy but more that I have to learn HOW to smoke each pipe. A pipe that I had written off is now one of my favourites.

So stick with it cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Help with packing and such.   Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:23 pm

[quote="Gumball"]
Rymsk wrote:

I just want to let you know that even after a while (and I am still a newbie) this happens. Sometimes I get frustrated with constant relights, and have even considered giving up on pipes Shocked At which time it is best to take a break, relax, and not worry so much about it. I have learned that it is NOT the pipes fault Very Happy but more that I have to learn HOW to smoke each pipe. A pipe that I had written off is now one of my favourites.

Good advice.
Each new tin and new pipe (and the myriad combinations in between) will behave differently.
Getting to really know a blend and how it likes certain pipes has greatly increased my enjoyment. When frustration occurs, as it invariably will, Gumball's advice will hit home.
I will attribute most of my less than satisfactory smokes to impatience. Not letting the tobacco dry out enough, packing hastily, puffing with too much vigor. Conversely, I know that each good smoke was a result of attention to detail and a thoughtful measured approach.
Occasionally I'll stumble upon a pipe/blend combination that will allow me to be a sloppy smoker with impunity, but it's not something you can count on, or take for granted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rymsk

Registration date : 2011-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Help with packing and such.   Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:39 am

Thanks alot and some excellent advice! The Tobacco I am smoking alot lately and having the trouble with is a Cherry Aromatic and today I really paid attention to the moistness of it and honestly it felt quite moist so I am letting it dry a spell and checking up on it every now and again, a major thanks to you guys for the help and advice!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josjor

Registration date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Help with packing and such.   Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 am

Rymsk wrote:
The Tobacco I am smoking alot lately and having the trouble with is a Cherry Aromatic..........

This may be the whole issue. A lot of aromatics can be way too moist and in general, the less expensive the tobacco, the more likely this is. They can either fail to burn well or cause nasty tongue bite or leave you with a gallon of liquid in the bottom of your pipe.......or all of the above.

Dry some out as best you can. Some of them seem to never dry out.

Now it seems like some of the fellow's think that arro's are for wimps. I don't. Just as I don't eat only steak, I also don't smoke just one variety of tobacco. I enjoy English, VA's, aro's, etc. Variety is the spice of life. BUT.........I have discovered that quality tobacco's are worth paying for. They burn better, taste better, and add to the enjoyment. If you're looking for some good cherry or other aro's that won't break the bank but has the attributes of good tobacco, I would highly recommend ordering some samples fro Boswell's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Help with packing and such.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: