HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:32 pm

NICE bottle, Harlock999. Love those Islays. I wasn't near any good scotch this holidays, so I'm envious.

Richard Burley, check out this review page. I've found their ratings to be relatively reliable over the years. Could be that we just so happen to have similar tastes, but maybe something you could use. I wrote off Wild Turkey because of all the meathead bravado I heard as a kid from my dad's hunting buddies. It's one of the worst aspects of whiskey. Then I had Russell's Reserve, and I changed my tune. Now they're one of my favorite American distillers.
http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/wild_turkey/

I did have some of that Beam cherry flavored stuff because it was all they had at their bar. Reminded me of codeine cough syrup from when I was a kid. Dumped it down the drain when nobody was looking. I cannot imagine how that stuff made it through test panels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:15 pm

Wanted to go with rye this winter. To supplement my beloved High West Double Rye, both very cheap to acquire and wonderful to drink.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:40 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
I did have some of that Beam cherry flavored stuff because it was all they had at their bar. Reminded me of codeine cough syrup from when I was a kid. Dumped it down the drain when nobody was looking. I cannot imagine how that stuff made it through test panels.
I agree with your opinion. I believe it's called "Red Stag." It was like drinking syrup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:40 pm

High West is cheap where you are? They want anywhere from $75-125 a bottle for High West varieties here. Most are in the $95 range.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:52 pm

Mr. Zeno Marx, above: Cool site. Thanks. Yeah, I don't care much for any whiskey, actually, other than the exceptional. I, ah, "o'd'ed" on Laphroaig once and now can't get near scotch. Gives me the shudders to even think about it. Surprised I can even stand the smokiness of latakia. And I consider Wild Turkey and their Rare Breed to be raw and crude. But the Kentucky Spirit is awesome, and easily lends itself to my requirement that it be served neat. If I can't drink it neat, I don't want it. I am sure there are other great ones out there, and I would like to try them eventually, but this bottle should last me a while. Beer is my thing--tankard after tankard, forever. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:01 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
High West is cheap where you are? They want anywhere from $75-125 a bottle for High West varieties here. Most are in the $95 range.

I can get any High West for about $40 a bottle, give or take a few bucks... *shrug* My Double Rye was $38! I wonder if that has to do with my proximity to Utah... scratch ...though on the Internet shopping links, $32 is an average price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:32 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
NICE bottle, Harlock999. Love those Islays. I wasn't near any good scotch this holidays, so I'm envious.

Thanks Zeno, that bottle was my Christmas treat to myself. The Ila is good stuff, peaty, but a bit lighter than most Islays. Definitely enjoying it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-25

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:40 pm

You guys always make me want a drink and then I buy a bottle and try to man up and drink a glass and I end up thinking "this stuff is VILE!" LOL I guess I'm just not a drinking man... a glass of Merlot is about as far as I can go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Simple Man wrote:
You guys always make me want a drink and then I buy a bottle and try to man up and drink a glass and I end up thinking "this stuff is VILE!" LOL I guess I'm just not a drinking man... a glass of Merlot is about as far as I can go.

Drink a glass?! I can't do that either and wouldn't want to. I can't speak for others, but whiskey to me is meant for sipping. Tiny sips, just for the flavor. Little more than a shot glass amount will last me for the length of a football game or whatever. It's almost like taking dry snuff, as far as it being just a taste pick-me-up. I don't even drink enough to feel it. Beer is a completely different matter, and I like to wallow in it and conduct myself in a disgraceful manner until the police come.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Last whiskey purchase was some Weller's Antique Bourbon. Pretty good stuff for the price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-25

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Simple Man wrote:

Drink a glass?! I can't do that either and wouldn't want to. I can't speak for others, but whiskey to me is meant for sipping. Tiny sips, just for the flavor. Little more than a shot glass amount will last me for the length of a football game or whatever. It's almost like taking dry snuff, as far as it being just a taste pick-me-up. I don't even drink enough to feel it. Beer is a completely different matter, and I like to wallow in it and conduct myself in a disgraceful manner until the police come.

Well, there you go! I've probably been going about it all wrong. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:23 pm

Simple Man wrote:

I didn't get it either until recently, then it just clicked!
I like to sip along with some good cheese and cured meats. A pipe doesn't hurt either!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JVickers43

Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:53 am

Powers Irish 12 year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:57 am

I almost started a thread about tobacco and "pre-game". Those threads about "finding the perfect smoke" or "what was it about that smoke that made it that much better than all the others" cause me to want to discuss the taste bud preparation part of the process. I feel it is an underestimated part of it all.

For myself, it is absolutely key to have something complimentary before I smoke or drink whiskey (I don't really drink any other alcohol other than a very occasional stout, porter, or cognac). I feel chocolate and/or espresso (or a like dark, dark roast) sets up a whiskey perfectly. If I can't have either of those, whiskey following an acidic meal is a runner-up. Italian dishes, if I'm allowed here the liberty to generalize with country, are best for me. Vietnamese, Thai, etc are the absolute worst to follow with whiskey. Mexican isn't far behind.

I find most people who have a strong distaste for whiskey don't know how to drink it (as well as suffer from poor bud preparation). That isn't a dig at them, either. I've never been able to master drinking wine. It's all in the breathing and transfer to tongue. It changes everything about the perception of a whiskey. Nothing too ground-breaking in saying that, but for those who haven't taken that process and made it muscle memory, whiskey can be a rough drink. And even if you learn how to drink it, that isn't any guarantee to liking it. It merely makes it possible for you to make a better informed opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:15 am

I'm an 'el cheapo' - bottom shelf stuff for my whisky. Last bought was Old Smuggler scotch which I love. Tastes like The Famous Grouse but richer and comes here in liter bottles (more than a fifth) at only $11.99.

For single malts I raid my father's liquor cabinet when I visit (it's fair, he keeps my pipe tobacco I bring down to smoke when visiting).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boxerbuddy

Registration date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Macallan 12...smooth as silk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:48 pm

Going to celebrate Liverpool FC's Carling Cup victory with some of this:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anders And

Registration date : 2010-08-09

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:37 am

Harlock999 wrote:
Lagavulin 16.
Same here. Smile Itís my favorite!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JASmith

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Dewar's White Label.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Picked up a bottle of Old Forester Friday evening. One of the best cheap bourbons around. Had a few ounces Fri and again Sat. Good stuff on ice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Basil Hayden's was my last purchase.

Johnny Blue was my last gift received. Gonna age this one in the bottle til a special occasion rears it's head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groucho

Registration date : 2012-03-08

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Last whisky purchased -- with no "e" was the Yamazaki 18. Incredible stuff. I normally am partial to the Macallan 18 --- or at least use to be when it came out with proper vintages -- but it is way too pricey. Yamazaki 18 for the price is a relative bargain but I'll bet it will go up.

I used to have some tasting notes, if I find them I'll post them here.

Sante!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:20 pm

thedeep wrote:
Picked up a bottle of Old Forester Friday evening. One of the best cheap bourbons around. Had a few ounces Fri and again Sat. Good stuff on ice.

For my favorite cheap bourbon I look no further than Ezra Brooks. Incredibly smooth, almost like rye.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:10 pm

My favorite cheapy is Beam Black Label. Woodford Reserve is an all time favorite. Anyone who has a chance to run by the distillery, the tour is worth the trip... AWESOME time, gorgeous part of the country. Off the sauce for lent, contemplating my first drink b/c St. Pats is a free day. Wife's coworker is having a wedding. Believing a man is the son of God, and comes back from the dead: that is faith. A Catholic not drinking at an Open Bar on St. Patrick's Day? Now you are just being silly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:50 am

Drinking some right now on the rocks. I really like this whiskey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next