HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
badfinger

badfinger

Registration date : 2012-03-28

What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 5:29 am

Red Breast 15yr and a bottle of Kraken
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dailytobacconist.com
Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier

Registration date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 5:41 am

I just completed a 30 day motorcycle tour of Alaska from Oregon and we always had some whisky in the panniers.

Prices up north tend to be very steep (for everything) so we stuck to the lower price points and often enjoyed some tasty whisky after a long day's ride.

Fav's of the trip:

Bulleit
Old Grandad
George Dickel

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/eric.wager.7
Wayne_Teipen

Wayne_Teipen

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 8:58 am

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teipenpipes.com
EC Outlaw

EC Outlaw

Registration date : 2011-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Buffalo Trace bourbon. First try at this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Buffalo Trace and a bottle of Bulleit Rye. Both are excellent. I also recently sampled some Colonel Taylor while I was in SF. Superb cask strength Bourbon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 11:42 pm

A new bottle of Laphroaig 10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 1:51 am

cheers

Harlock999 wrote:

I'm about to pour the last of my current supply... I need to go whisky shopping!

(and Port shopping)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 10:52 am

s.ireland wrote:
cheers

Harlock999 wrote:

I'm about to pour the last of my current supply... I need to go whisky shopping!

(and Port shopping)

Ahh, port!
I need some as well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lupulus

Lupulus

Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 8:28 am

Just picked up a bottle of delicious 12 year old Caol Isla. Pleasantly smoky and peaty, but not quite as campfire-like as Laphroaig.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 am

Lupulus wrote:
Just picked up a bottle of delicious 12 year old Caol Isla. Pleasantly smoky and peaty, but not quite as campfire-like as Laphroaig.

I enjoyed a bottle recently, but I do prefer Laphroaig, by a considerable margin.
The Isla was definitely spicier, with more of a bitter finish, to my taste.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lupulus

Lupulus

Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:02 am

Harlock999 wrote:

I enjoyed a bottle recently, but I do prefer Laphroaig, by a considerable margin.

I love Laphroaig too, especially my bottle of 57.8% cask strength 10 year old. None of my friends like it though, that was where I got the campfire analogy, one of them told me he thought taking a sip of Laphroaig was like biting a campfire log.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:05 am

Lupulus wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:

I love Laphroaig too, especially my bottle of 57.8% cask strength 10 year old. None of my friends like it though, that was where I got the campfire analogy, one of them told me he thought taking a sip of Laphroaig was like biting a campfire log.

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:55 am

Lupulus wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:

And he doesn't like that sensation?? scratch

I remember a few years ago when I first discovered Laphroaig a buddy of mine who is into scotch said that it was like drinking sea water lol

Someone once told me that when it comes to whisky, it can't be any good if your girlfriend can stomach it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 am

Laziness, and an earlier than usual So.Cal heatwave found me buying whisky at the supermarket. Glenlivet 12...
Hmmm... A bit of a ”perfumey” finish at first, then... Cool
And I definitely need a drink tonight!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 7:05 am

Wow, that's funny, I found myself at the supermarket last night too, staring at the meager single malt offerings. I went with Glennfiddich 12. Rather sweet, simple, perfumey, but not bad. Better than the blends and a lot cheaper than the Macallan or Dalwhinnie they had there.

thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 10:33 am

I've been sipping on a bottle of "Backbone" bourbon for a week. It's pretty good stuff....I have doubts about it being a "bourbon" by definition. It's distilled in Lawrenceburg, IN, bottled in Bardstown, KY. It's 114 proof. Pretty decent, in the same strata as the small batch stuff coming from Beam and Co.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Larceny bourbon

I read good reviews, and with substantial rebates offered, I couldn't resist. The 750ml has a $10 rebate, and the 1.75L has a $20 rebate. After rebate, I paid $10 for the 750ml and $10 for the 1.75L. Believe me, I'm sorry I didn't buy two 1.75Ls, but I wasn't sure I'd like it. Don't be foolish in your math. Just buy the 1.75L to start. I honestly do not believe you'll be sorry.

It's a wheated bourbon, so if you like Maker's Mark, Pappy Winkle, Weller, etc, this might be something to investigate. I don't find it complex in flavors, but it does have a pure bourbon flavor with no kerosene or medicinal notes. It's smooth and of solid, good quality. In other words, it doesn't taste cheap or rushed. It has a nice, medium-length finish. Admittedly, the price (after rebate) plays a big part in my satisfaction. At $20 (regular price), I'd probably buy other whiskeys for the same price or for an additional couple of dollars, but I feel it can definitely stand firmly in that price range.

Glass note - which is what I call the smell of the glass once it is empty and dried from being too relaxed, or lazy, to go for a refill; and differs greatly from smelling the bourbon itself - is a a real pleasure. Charred wood resins and honeyed charcoal. It's almost too good. I've found myself sniffing the glass for tens of minutes afterwards rather than going for more drink.

Again, this is pure bourbon flavor. Not a lot of frills. The glass note is more complex than the drink itself. But that shouldn't be read as a problem. This would be a good choice for a nightly sipping whiskey; saving other whiskeys for their appropriate, special times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 9:37 am

The last whisky I opened (received as a gift, so I didn't buy it) was

Breckenridge Colorado Bourbon

A young whisky, with mint, orange, and corn on the nose, the mint and orange come out a little after a splash of water, but it definitely tastes "young." None of the strong wood notes from Barrel Proof whisky's (booker's, Rare Breed, etc.).

But, not bad...still enjoyable with a smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Jhenderson

Jhenderson

Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 am

Makers mark. Still my fav.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 10:50 am

I usually use my bourbon mixed and can't see a premium one for that. I like Early Times for mixing. Smooth, tasty item for the price. Manhattans are my go to with a sour or an old fashion in this kind of weather. For a sippin' one, I do have a Booker's on hand. OK, doesn't seem that special.

Don't care at all for blends -- especially Canadian Club.
Back to top Go down
Wayne_Teipen

Wayne_Teipen

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Baker's 7 year
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teipenpipes.com
Buffalo bill

Buffalo bill

Registration date : 2013-08-04

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Marker 46
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 3:14 pm

like the airline industry...creating new ways to milk the customer. I have a couple words for people who think like this...and then $13 for Woodford??? WTF? I can buy an entire bottle for around $30.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-02-08/beware-the-next-nefarious-up-charge-whiskey-neat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
like the airline industry...creating new ways to milk the customer.  I have a couple words for people who think like this...and then $13 for Woodford???  WTF?  I can buy an entire bottle for around $30.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-02-08/beware-the-next-nefarious-up-charge-whiskey-neat
In a related vein...
http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2012-08-31/whiskey-a-drink-or-an-investment#r=lr-fst
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?   What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 8:06 am

March 1979 a 5th of Jack Daniels black label.
Don't remember much after that. drunken 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/

What's The Last Whisky/Whiskey You Bought?
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next