HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please

Go down 
AuthorMessage
steelcicada

Registration date : 2011-11-25

PostSubject: Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please   Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:11 pm

I appreciate the benefits of the shellac with regards to a collectors piece that will remain unsmoked, however, aside from the aesthetics I cannot really see any other benefits of having a shellac on a smoker. What do you think ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please   Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:27 pm

It's good in a light, very thinned-out amount on a rusticated piece, as was suggested to me after I carved my first pipe. It smokes fine, it seems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please   Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:53 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think Peterson uses shellac on any of their pipes. I've been in their factory a few times over the years and have never seen them use shellac.

It's often confused with pipes that are given an extensive carnauba wax treatment, a highly refined buffing with layers of the stuff that will eventually wear off. But as I said, I could be wrong though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeroWolfe

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please   Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Agree. Peterson does not shellac.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please   Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Peterson do occasionally use a reddish Polyurethane finish. It is unmistakeable. Avoid it - it looks & feels cheap & nasty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steelcicada

Registration date : 2011-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please   Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:30 pm

The majority of my Pete's are not finished but I'm certain there is a finish on two of them. I guess my question should have been would anyone recommend against removing a finish from a regular rotation pipe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please   Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:20 pm

steelcicada wrote:
The majority of my Pete's are not finished but I'm certain there is a finish on two of them. I guess my question should have been would anyone recommend against removing a finish from a regular rotation pipe?

Does pipe-in-question smoke abhorrently? If yes, is it the pipe or the finish? Hate for you to go to a bunch of trouble for nothing, or, ruin a pipe. You might need a different pipe, as an alternative.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sstodvictory

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please   Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:04 pm

Shellac is gas permeable. I've never noticed anything ill smoking about ones I've owned. One might want to try to remove it if the appearance is unpleasant, but I wouldn't how to do it.

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please   Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:32 pm

I suppose a good sanding would do it, but I work with shellac on older gun stocks quite a bit, a lot of Eastern Bloc rifles used the stuff, also Russian milsurps. It's easy to strip off with denatured alcohol, but I find the stain (if any) in the shellac sometimes sticks around.

Gun stocks do not equal briar pipes. Laughing Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Peterson's and shellac.....Opinions please
Page 1 of 1