HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Number of posts: 13124
Tobacco: Real tobacco.
Pipe: Sleeper pipes.
Registration date: 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:59 pm

So, I'm trying out these "Softy Pipe Bits" rubber things, and I like 'em in a way and don't like 'em in another.

I love the security in the mouth, doesn't feel like the heavier pipes are gonna pop out.

The problem: The square edge on the opposite side. You see, the mouth-side is nice and rounded, the other side is not. Where I clench (if and when I do clench, which I did not before these bumpers, for fear of ruining my stems), this 90 edge of unfinished sharp rubber sits right on my lower lip. It's terrible.

I may try to file these down or do something to round out the corner, but are there any manufactured that are a bit smoother?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Number of posts: 3033
Tobacco: http://tobaccocellar.com/Dutch
Pipe: Moretti, Jesse Jones, Rolando Negoita, Ferndown, Boswell, Caminetto Lee Von Erck, Charatan, Il Duca, Viprati, L'Anatra, Sadik Yanik, GBD, Design Berlin, Peder Jeppesen, Peterson, Thomas Cristiano, Savinelli, Stanwell, Kaywoodie, Mark Tinsky, Jake Hackert, Radice, Preben Holm, Mastro de Paja, Nording, Mario Grandi, Missouri Meerschaum, Don Florian, Riccardo Santia, Aristocob, Ropp, Ardor.

Registration date: 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:07 am

The fine side of an emery board nail file should smooth them up nicely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Crap, forgot I posted this. Laughing

So, I actually sanded down the edges with 200, 500 and 100, and made it a LOT better. Popped the sucker on the end of a small Sharpie to keep it a little more rigid, and worked around it until it seemed to calm that edge down.

Worked alright, might try some different angles to really get it smooth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
murfman

Number of posts: 43
Tobacco: Balkan Sasieni, H&H Blackhouse, Captain Black
Pipe: Digby Billiard, Comoy Guildhall, old Savinelli bent army mount
Registration date: 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:48 pm

I used those on a few pipes awhile back and ended up tossing them. They are great, like you said, for clenching the bit and making the pipe feel secure. But after a while I noticed that the stem under the rubber tends to oxidize a lot faster than the rest. The reason, so far as I could tell was from the moisture that is held in place there against the stem.

I might have been able to get around that by removing and replacing the rubber every smoke but that kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

Number of posts: 438
Tobacco: Rattray's Red Rapparee, MB Vintage Syrian, GLP Cumberland, GLP Quiet Nights
Pipe: Stanwell Bishop, Erik Nording Freehand, an old Peterson DeLuxe, and an old GDB New Era
Registration date: 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:29 pm

murfman wrote:
I used those on a few pipes awhile back and ended up tossing them. They are great, like you said, for clenching the bit and making the pipe feel secure. But after a while I noticed that the stem under the rubber tends to oxidize a lot faster than the rest. The reason, so far as I could tell was from the moisture that is held in place there against the stem.

I might have been able to get around that by removing and replacing the rubber every smoke but that kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Weird, i've had the complete opposite experience and the rest of the stem is oxidized and if I take off the rubber it's still jet black where it was covered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
murfman

Number of posts: 43
Tobacco: Balkan Sasieni, H&H Blackhouse, Captain Black
Pipe: Digby Billiard, Comoy Guildhall, old Savinelli bent army mount
Registration date: 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Strange. I wonder if it has to do with the stem quality, or how nasty my mouth is then? Wink In all honesty I am at something of a loss now...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

Number of posts: 438
Tobacco: Rattray's Red Rapparee, MB Vintage Syrian, GLP Cumberland, GLP Quiet Nights
Pipe: Stanwell Bishop, Erik Nording Freehand, an old Peterson DeLuxe, and an old GDB New Era
Registration date: 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:35 pm

I have an old Peterson that the second I walk outside on a humid day it turns green so I just gave up buffing it I'll just leave the patina, but under the rubber is still black. go figure. I say embrace the oxidation, gives a pipe character and a nice aged look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Well, mouth "nastiness" notwithstanding Laughing, people's body chemistry can be different, then adding to the mix smoke and the combusted contents liquified in solution with saliva, then put in close proximity to your vulcanite stems, so it's possible to my mind that different or sped-up oxidation might happen from person to person.

It's all chemistry, when it comes down to it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Boy

Number of posts: 68
Registration date: 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:55 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
So, I'm trying out these "Softy Pipe Bits" rubber things, and I like 'em in a way and don't like 'em in another.

I love the security in the mouth, doesn't feel like the heavier pipes are gonna pop out.

The problem: The square edge on the opposite side. You see, the mouth-side is nice and rounded, the other side is not. Where I clench (if and when I do clench, which I did not before these bumpers, for fear of ruining my stems), this 90 edge of unfinished sharp rubber sits right on my lower lip. It's terrible.

I may try to file these down or do something to round out the corner, but are there any manufactured that are a bit smoother?
Which brand are you using? I have the same problem, on some of my pipe it is better to put it on backward, I may try smoothing them some how with a buffer of something if I come up with a good solution I will post it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Number of posts: 5294
Registration date: 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:00 am

Some people like to use rubber tubing instead of softees for just this problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:40 am

Briar Boy wrote:

Which brand are you using? I have the same problem, on some of my pipe it is better to put it on backward, I may try smoothing them some how with a buffer of something if I come up with a good solution I will post it.

Exactly these guys.

I got great results with 150 grit sandpaper, putting the bit thick-side first on a medium-sized Sharpie pen, doing even "circles" on a flat surface upon the sandpaper, then repeat the same trick on 500 grit sandpaper to smooth it out. A cotton-swab to remove any sand as to not scratch the stem, and voila, problem solved. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Number of posts: 1277
Tobacco: Favorite? Any Revelation clone, such as Epiphany.
Pipe: Favorite? Probably a corn cob, truth be told.
Registration date: 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:04 pm

MisterE wrote:
Some people like to use rubber tubing instead of softees for just this problem.

I use a black vinyl tubing available in any hardware store. It's cheap, far more durable than rubber, and you can cut it to whatever length you want. Soften it in hot water before slipping over the bit. I also recommend removing the bit first to obviate inadvertent strain on the shank when forcing it on. I hate using anything on the bit, but it's almost a must for active outdoor use and while driving. Ever drop a lit pipe in your lap at freeway speeds? Ain't gonna happen if you're chomped down on a solid piece of rubber or vinyl.

By the way, there is a tool for removing rubber or plastic edges, used in the blow-molding industry. I've seen them use it. It kind of lightly bevels the edge, simply by drawing lightly along the edge. Obviously a razor or something inside. What it's called or where you would get one eludes me, but they're out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Richard, when you suggest "a black vinyl tubing," what is the tubing's original purpose? I'd like to try some (or any alternate tubing, truthfully) because the rubber bits are good, but they're pricey, and in some instances, too darned think.

I was also considering the shrink tubing used for electrical wiring. I have ton of that, and it's cheap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Number of posts: 1277
Tobacco: Favorite? Any Revelation clone, such as Epiphany.
Pipe: Favorite? Probably a corn cob, truth be told.
Registration date: 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:46 pm

Kyle, I don't really know what the tubing is used for, but it was easily found. Comes in at least two sizes, but I can't remember which I chose. Big help, right? It may possibly be used for water line for refrigerator freezers, the ice-cube maker thingy, but I don't know. It does feel a bit thick to the bite, I hate it, but it's effective, and one does almost get used to it. The shrink tubing, I hear, is the way to go if you can find the right size. It's much thinner and quite durable. I couldn't find any without buying huge amounts, so the hell with that. I only want it on beater pipes anyhow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers   Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:52 pm

Hahaha yeah, big help... Razz It's cool, I'll just go in and be as uninformed as the equally-clueless Home Depot folks and see what turns up. Cool

Harbor Freight is a chain store of junk tools from China that sells all sorts of stuff, including shrink tubing, have literally miles of the stuff for electronic projects--might as well see if it works!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next