HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Due to popular demand

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Due to popular demand   Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:40 pm

I love zombie films, and the video was great!

Question: I have a .357 mag. My home is currently besieged by both zombies and rioting, looting townsfolk. They are into B&Es. What do I load? Zombie or people-shot?

Don't say that I need two guns; I'd get confused which was loaded with what.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Mike. It really depends on the type of zombie.
Are these old school slow moving but relentless zombies or the new breed zombie with super human strength and speed?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:07 am

These are your classic lethargic zombies who, if they moved any more slowly, would fall flat on their faces. I refer you to "Night of the Living Dead" and "The Walking Dead"; in the features for the latter the commentary states that the opening scenes of the former show that good-looking male zombie attempting to sink his teeth into that ditzy blond fleeing the cemetery in the car in which she and her brother had arrived. The zombie is stumbling down from a slight elevation.

The commentators state that this is your best estimate as to how fast a zombie can walk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:30 am

Ok.. Classic Zombie and mob scenario.

Go with the human ammo and maintain a medium but steady pace in the opposite direction of the approaching zombie.
You will however need to ensure your shoes are properly tied and there are not obtruding roots in your egress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:18 am

In case you and your buddy ever get chased by a faster, new breed of Zombie, you don't have to outrun the Zombie - you just have to outrun your buddy. However - if your buddy is a fellow BOB member, then disregard the above suggestion and carry plenty of ammo.

If this message has reached you in time, and if you can still defend your house and computer, you might want to check out:

http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:33 am

Last edited by Simple Man on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:18 am

Shoes tied: Check

Roots: Effectiveness of zombie ammo tested whilst I checked the first ten yards of the most promising path to freedom should I need to flee like a frenzied gopher; at close range the zombie-shot blew the tops of the heads off of three ghouls attempting to feast on my flesh, but mostly I just did the bop and weave. Meanwhile across the street rapers and pillagers carried off the wife.

Back in the house I ripped apart furniture for the requisite window and door anti-zombie lumber.

But they are here. There must be 50 of them doing the dance of the dead outside my door, and the B&E crowd are on the roof, smashing a hole.

I am out-gunned, out-maned and out-ghouled. I shall take some of them down, and I will save a bullet for myself. But I will await any further advice from this hallowed forum.

AB, RIP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:39 am

RIM:

Thank you for the link.

I type this with one-hand to keep my firing hand at the ready on the mag. There are only a dozen or so raveners in the house just now.

While I do feel that one can extrapolate from the survival tools featured at the site that you listed, and that they could, theoretically, have zombie utility, I must take exception to the fact that these tools are not zombie-oriented. They are survivalist, yes, but are they zombie-survivalist? No; for instance, their zombie-shot makes no mention of being zombie-effective. They show a knife, but unless it has special powers, how would it actually pierce the cranium of some crushing, ghoulishly cavorting thing capering on your carpet? Rope: what are you going to do with that? Tie a zombie up? NO! You're going to put a slug in it and be on your way.

Again, thank you for the link, but I do feel (damn, missed that thing, it's eating my arm) that would-be survivors of this plague need real tools for real zombies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Saiga-12 custom for hordes, German Mauser for distance, H&K USP for close-up. Locked and loaded. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:33 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Zombies are fun! I like moving targets, and no one gets all emotional if you shoot Aunt Sally or whoever else... well, except for that doctor on the farm down in Georgia who keeps his zombie family in a barn and feeds them chickens... but who's he anyway!

Hey, them's my kin-folk! Let's not get nasty here, or I'll have to send 'ol Uncle Doc your address! affraid He's running low on chickens.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:20 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
I love zombie films, and the video was great!

Question: I have a .357 mag. My home is currently besieged by both zombies and rioting, looting townsfolk. They are into B&Es. What do I load? Zombie or people-shot?

Don't say that I need two guns; I'd get confused which was loaded with what.

I say, dump the .357 and get a 44 mag, twice the knock down power. Once knocked down they aint gett'en up sir and if by chance one does. Just one tap to the forehead and its nighty night Mr. Zombie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:25 am

Actually that is incorrect. More 'power' doesn't equate to better stopping ability. I'm not going to load you down with 'one shot stop' talk or ballistic geletin test or what not but the .44 is proven in real life to not be as good a defensive weapon as a .357.

Zombies are just undead humans so it is relevant. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 am

That's your opinion, I myself do not like 357, never did never will. I do like my 45 revolver and the 44 mag I once had.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:48 am

Depends on bullet design and a thousand other variables ,,,,,including another 900 involving the human element. It's a no-win debate best discussed over quantities of ice cold frosty beer,,,,,but wait,,,we're talking zombies here,,,I'll take a flamethrower,,,flash fry them and there's no zombie flesh left rotting in the street to feed the mutant badgers that escaped from the CIA labs in 1966.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:11 pm

I like discussions of bullet ballistics and "stopping power." It usually assumes the shooter is perfect and accurate in every way. Cool

If you don't "like" a gun, design or otherwise, you're not going to shoot it well, reasonable conclusion or not. That's why there's so many guns, there's a lot of preferences. The more you can "handle," the better, I'd surmise.

Throw in the zombie aspect, they won't be stopped by pain or "winging" them, intimidation factor is pointless, and sheer numbers. Psychologically, you're going to be more affected, therefore, even if you're a Top Shot contender, good luck keeping steady. Laughing "Don't get bit!" Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:53 pm

mark, can you tell us more about the mutant badgers that escaped from the CIA labs in '66?

On another line of thought, just as I was getting into my car this morning three of the undead and oh-so-smelly accosted me. I whipped out my trusty .357 and plugged all three in the cranium, one two three. It was close range and their heads exploded like strawberry preserves.

I blew at the smoke at the tip of my revolver and haven't seen any of their kin since!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
That's your opinion, I myself do not like 357, never did never will. I do like my 45 revolver and the 44 mag I once had.

Yup thats my opinion.. as well as Massad Ayoob's, and Evan Marshall's,
30 some odd years of gunfight analysis doesn't lie.. The 44 Magnum is an inferior defensive caliber..
The .357 mag IS the .45ACP of the revolver world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boxerbuddy

Registration date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:10 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Yup thats my opinion.. as well as Massad Ayoob's, and Evan Marshall's,
30 some odd years of gunfight analysis doesn't lie.. The 44 Magnum is an inferior defensive caliber..
The .357 mag IS the .45ACP of the revolver world.

This is true there are plenty of studies out there that suggest that 357 is more effective against people than 44. Lol having said that the 44 is more fun at the range. You get alot of heads turning your way with the "what the fuck is he shooting" look on their faces.

As for me I'm a .45 guy. I'd rather have 13+1 .45 in my Glock 21 than 6 .357 in a model 27. Thats just me...I know the caliber argument can go on forever with no answer like politics and religion.

But isn't this thread a celebration of zombie rounds? I gotta go out and get some .45 zombie busters. Oh and some 12 gauge and .223 too. One never knows when alien radiation is gong to wake the dead. Better safe than sorry I say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
mark, can you tell us more about the mutant badgers that escaped from the CIA labs in '66?

Not at liberty to discuss US involvement or the panic involved after discovering the escape,,,, but our allies have taken advantage of our covert research,,,,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6295138.stm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:26 pm

2 men stand off, one man has a 357 the other has a 44 mag. One mans quicker and hits what he's aiming at. Doesn't matter what caliber the guns are, one mans dead.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Honey badger don't give a shit

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Now that's what I call advertisement, that 1911 was awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:56 pm

LOL... now your going to argue the 44 mag is more controlable? ohhh jeeesh.

All I'm saying is that history says the .357 is the better defensive gun (against humans, no actual data vs zombies) If you want to carry a .44 mag more power to you, I am not trying to disuade you by any means.. but lets not make it out to be something it's not.

I will add this, kinda backs up my actual point...
My 'daily' carry for almost 30 years has been a j-frame sized .38 special. The 'best' statistical stopper? Nope
The most powerful at anything? Nope Underpowered? Some say yes, but it'll get the job done.... Why do I carry one? Because I will actually carry one. and I actually enjoy shooting one, and although I'm not 'Billy the kid' I'm pretty handy with one.
I've had literally thousands of weapons. I used to trade them at a weekly if not daily or hourly pace. I've always owned a j-frame sized .38 because I know me and I know them. Sometimes they have lost favor to 'new,shiney,ohhh awww' but old reliable more often than not is in a pocket.

IF I am actually expecting trouble, like say for instance the dogs going nuts and I have to go see why, I take a long gun. It will beat a handgun hands down. Yes I love my Handguns, but when the feces hits the oscilator I WANT a longgun. BUT, I would feel kinda out of place carrying an M1A or the ole Mossberg 500 into Krogers so the .38 wins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Due to popular demand   Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:05 pm

That's a funny-ass video Mark. I had wondered where the "honey badger don't give a shit" signature you had a few weeks back came from... cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Due to popular demand
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next