HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Insurance premiums and pipe smoking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:12 pm

It is Insurance time again! That time of year for those who work for companies who provide medical coverage to fill out the forms for the next year. This got me thinking about our indulgence in the weed and insurance costs.

I was not smoking a pipe last year and have just recently started. I smoke a few bowls a week and have wondered if that would put me in the "smoker" price bracket on the forms.

Interestingly I remember asking my agent a similar question when I upped my life insurance recently. I asked if "occasionally" smoking a cigar or two would affect my costs and they said no.

Anyway, what are you guys thoughts, experiences or personal practices with insurance (medical or life) and our blessed habit?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:33 pm

I'm in a similar boat. Actually looking to take out a life insurance policy. It seems that some companies take a zero tolerance policy and treat all tobacco use no matter what type or how infrequent the same. Others are more tollerant. I can't seem to figure out which is which with out actually applying though. Someone told me to say no and then see if it shows up in your blood test, but that makes me a little uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:53 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
Someone told me to say no and then see if it shows up in your blood test, but that makes me a little uncomfortable.

Yeah, I'm not into the whole lying thing. If I gotta pay a bigger premium I will, even though I know I take measures to decrease chances of ill health affects. I even started drinking much more coffe after reading that it decreases one's chances of mouth cancer.

I talked to my inscurance agent in person and mentioned the cigar thing back when I was considering picking up the pipe again. Most people are more familiar with cigars (no inhale, not prone to be a chain smoker). I think it gave her a better idea of how often I partake than trying to explain that I use a pipe but don't inhale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:01 pm

Yea I have to pay $600 a year more on insurance. Totally sucks since I use less than 100 bucks worth of tobacco in a year. So insurance is the most expensive part of the hobby for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:02 pm

I do not answer any smoking or drinking questions when asked. Have not been forced to answer yet. There is no distinction made between a person who has a couple beers in a month and an alcoholic. Nor is there a distinction made between smoking a pipe occasionally and a 4 pack a day habit. They need to do a better job for everyone.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:49 pm

I have to have a physical every year for my health insurance, when my doctor only asked me once in the past 5 years if I smoke and I told him no...he never asked me again. I wouldn't really consider myself as a smoker anyway, I only smoke about 2-3 pipes a week...and I dont inhale (that's not a smoker)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:39 pm

I have to pay extra on my health insurance for being a smoker. It doesnt matter if you smoke 2 packs a day or have a cigar or pipe every so often. I guess the company thinks if you dont use tobacco you must live a 100% healthy lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:27 pm

I always say that I'm a non-smoker for insurance purposes. I'm not paying the same premiums as chain cigarette smokers just because I partake in a pipe or cigar from time to time. Screw those people. They could care less about me, plus nicotene tends to leave the system in no longer than 3 to 4 days anyway. They would have to prove that I'm a smoker to deny any of my claims. If you're young and healthy; and smoke from time time, just file as a non-smoker. If you're older and your health is an issue; and you smoke frequently, you may want to file as a smoker just to be safe.
Milan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boxerbuddy

Registration date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:04 am

I am very familiar with the life insurance industry having worked in it for a time. I'm not sure about health insurance but life companies consider you a smoker or a non smoker regardless of how much you smoke or what you smoke....meaning tobacco products of course. If nicotine is in your system at the time of the blood test(if there is one required) you are a smoker and thats that.

The worst thing you can do is lie about it and have them find nicotine in your blood. If this happens the company may rate you even lower than you may have been rated had you admitted you were a smoker. They call this a "moral" hazard. In the companies eyes if you are willing to hide information from them about something to get a lower rate, they will assume you may be hiding other things and adjust your rate accordingly to mitigate their risk.

There are some companies that penalize you less for being a smoker...some good ones in fact.

I don't mean this to be a compendium on life insurance companies but I just want to say this out of concern for the good people here....the quality of a company MATTERS...alot. I know some people think the cheaper the better when it comes to insurance but this is not true especially with something as important as protecting your family financially if you kick the bucket. Do your research before you buy life insurance.

But back to the smoking thing....my suggestion is this, if you are applying for a life policy either admit you are a smoker or stop smoking for 3 weeks before you take a blood test....if you can handle it lol.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:51 am

PipeLeisure wrote:
I have to have a physical every year for my health insurance, when my doctor only asked me once in the past 5 years if I smoke and I told him no...he never asked me again. I wouldn't really consider myself as a smoker anyway, I only smoke about 2-3 pipes a week...and I dont inhale (that's not a smoker)
Right. And a duck that doesn't quack isn't a duck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:15 am

I am shopping for new life insurance and asked my agent about it and he said that most companies exclude what they call "celebration smokes" during the year. I guess the day of handing out cigars with the birth of a new baby is about over. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Insurance premiums and pipe smoking   Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Boxerbuddy wrote:

There are some companies that penalize you less for being a smoker...some good ones in fact.

Would you be willing to share which ones those are?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Insurance premiums and pipe smoking
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: