HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Help me identify this pipe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roogles

Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Help me identify this pipe   Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:14 pm

I was recently given a pipe for a birthday present by a good friend that knew I have a small collection.

The pipe is very small, and belonged to the givers paternal grandfather.

The pipe's original owner was born in Scotland in 1899, fought for the Scots in World War I, and was stationed in India.

He migrated to Michigan sometime prior to 1936 and died in the early 1950's.

This pipe is very worn, was obviously smoked regularly, and it in really good shape.

I would love to find out who the pipe-maker was, or any other history/information about this pipe.

I'm including photos.

On the left side of the shank is the stamp "WELL PIPE". The collar on the left has the lettes <EP> stamped into a diamond.

The right side of the shank has the words "IMPORTED BRIAR" inside an oval, with the word ITALY directly underneath the oval.

I'm assuming that the "WELL PIPE" in as indication of the continuation of the mortise past the draft hole as a place for moisture to pool so it does't collect in the bowl, but that's an assumption based on other reading and research I've done, not something I'm positive about.

Any help identifying this pipe would be much appreciated!

Last edited by roogles on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://blog.roogles.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Shot in the dark: Savinelli Dry System second? *shrug* Obscurely marked or unmarked pipes could be from anywhere. There were tons of small, short-lived and obscure manufacturers over the years.

It's got a great shape, very Peterson-like in many ways. Hope it smokes well for you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:28 pm

That's what i'm thinking too. Probably a second from Peterson or another famous Maker.

Looks good and i'll bet it's a good smoker. I say - Just Use It!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Sure looks like a Peterson to me, p-lip (?) and sterling silver military mount (isn't that what that's called?). Yet you say it's stamped "Italy"??

Very curious. Best wishes in your search.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
lowflyingpenguin

Location : The Wilds of Canada (from Iroquois for 'the village')
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:17 am

Probably a Wellington. I've seen Wellingtons similar to this before. Peterson seconds are usually simply marked as "Made in Ireland" during this period (pre-Republic). Idon't recall ever seeing an Italian Peterson, only ones made in Ireland or England. The ferrule is most likely nickel as it was illegal to sell silver without hallmarks in the UK during that time period. BTW, scotch is what you drink, natives of Scotland are referred to as Scots or Scottish.

Last edited by lowflyingpenguin on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:23 am

lowflyingpenguin wrote:
Probably a Wellington. The ferrule is most likely nickel as it was illegal to sell silver without hallmarks in the UK during that time period. BTW, scotch is what you drink, natives of Scotland are referred to as Scots.

Maybe he was thirsty, and was literally fighting for the Scotch! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roogles

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:24 am

lowflyingpenguin wrote:
Probably a Wellington. The ferrule is most likely nickel as it was illegal to sell silver without hallmarks in the UK during that time period. BTW, scotch is what you drink, natives of Scotland are referred to as Scots.

Being a scotch drinker, I should have known that. Thank you for the correction though!

For those who asked - the stem is not a p-lip. I had to look that up to make sure I understood it, but it's a standard round hole in the end of the stem.

I'm in agreement that it is likely a second. On inspection, the draft hole doesn't hit the the bowl in the center.

Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts so far!

Back to top Go down
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:21 pm

At first glance I didn't see the "Well" part of the stamp and just saw "Pipe" and was thinking "Yes, you are a pipe, the label was unnecessary, like putting a label on the label maker that saws 'label maker'."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
murfman

Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:38 pm

I think Well Pipes were made by Mastercraft/Seville. And every once and a while you can find some new for sale.

for instance...
http://www.tophatcigar.com/a.cfm/Pipes/Imported-Pipes/Baby-Bent-Well-TP10319.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roogles

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:02 pm

ZeroContent wrote:
At first glance I didn't see the "Well" part of the stamp and just saw "Pipe" and was thinking "Yes, you are a pipe, the label was unnecessary, like putting a label on the label maker that saws 'label maker'."

The pipe is so worn, that it took me a bit of guessing to determine that it said "WELL PIPE"...

At first I thought it was WEIL, or maybe W * * L - so I had initially thought it might be a maker or brand stamp.

After quite a bit of google searching, I determined that it must be "WELL" - and then confirmed it by the presence of the added pocket beneath the air hole in the shank.

Although the word "ITALY" is still visible plainly on the other side, I'm also making a guess as to the words "Imported Briar" in the oval logo. It's just so worn off it's hard to tell.

Thanks!

Back to top Go down
roogles

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:05 pm

murfman wrote:
I think Well Pipes were made by Mastercraft/Seville. And every once and a while you can find some new for sale.

for instance...

Those appear to be exactly the same as my new pipe! Great find!

Had you been aware of the "baby bent well pipes" there before? or did you run across it while searching for something similar to mine?

Thanks again!

Back to top Go down
roogles

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:12 pm

I was reading pipedia.org, trying to familiarize myself with all the proper names for the parts of the pipe (in an attempt to not appear more foolish than I know I am) and ran across this image, which details exactly how the inside of the pipe I'm trying to identify is constructed. (The bottom illustration)

This seems to lend some credence to it being a Peterson second... Or at the very least confirms that it was done in the Peterson style.

Thanks again everyone for the information!

Back to top Go down
murfman

Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:23 pm

I had come across them before. I inherited a Well Pipe from my uncle but it was far too gone to salvage, and I remembered this page from searching around. It is funny how you can find something by accident in abotu 30 seconds and then try to find it on purpose again and it take 30 minutes. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveHorsfall

Registration date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:12 pm

lowflyingpenguin wrote:
BTW, scotch is what you drink, natives of Scotland are referred to as Scots or Scottish.
Nowadays, yes, but until at least the 1950s it was a class distinction. 'Scotch', for the people, was posh, 'Scottish' was common.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/StephenHorsfall/Pipes/
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:13 am

...another weird Italian "Peterson"... shipping's kind of high, photos aren't 360, but... they're out there, evidently.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peterson-style-Estate-Pipe-Crafted-Italy-Very-Lightly-Smoked-/110795604405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cbeec1b5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roogles

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:29 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
...another weird Italian "Peterson"... shipping's kind of high, photos aren't 360, but... they're out there, evidently.

Thanks for pointing this out! If the measurements of this pipe on the ebay auction are accurate then this pipe is quite a bit larger than mine...

In the photos it appears nearly the same. Interestingly enough, it seems like this pipe is more common in a p-lip than not.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:48 am

Not claiming to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination but, I've seen many and owned a few of these "Well Pipe's" and all it seems are from Italy. Some with even Wally Franks name on them. So I'm led to believe their an inexpensive Italian knock off that were imported by Wally and other retailers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:38 pm

I'd not turn down one of these pipes, though. I mean, now, Christmas time, people are clamoring over used Petes for almost what they go for new. These Italian numbers I've seen pop up now and again for much cheaper. If the briar is solid and the stems aren't crap, I figure it may just work alright.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roogles

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:19 pm

I smoked this pipe for the first time last night. I have a 30-40 minute drive home from work, and this small size of this pipe made it a perfect smoke for the ride.

I had a tin of Ashton Winding Road in my backpack, and it made for a very enjoyable fall ride back to the house.

The diminutive size of the bowl and pipe itself made it easy to smoke too hot, so I had to be deliberate about taking slow even sips.

The only complaint I had is that this pipe is so short that when it's in my mouth the bowl is so close to my face that it is out of my line of sight - which unnerves me just a bit. It's definitely a nose warmer! Very Happy

Overall, a great little addition to my collection! Perfect for slipping into my shirt pocket too.

Cheers!

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Help me identify this pipe   Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:13 pm

Glad it's working out, except being a little short... a good "training pipe" for sure. Small pipes are good for that, they'll let you know temperature-wise on the outside of the bowl if it's getting too hot usually before the tobacco starts to scream at ya. Laughing At least that's how I learned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Help me identify this pipe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1