HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Lighting techniques

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SirBriarMcpiperson

Registration date : 2011-12-14

PostSubject: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:35 am

Greetings again Gentleman,
FNG to BoB here.

A question. How do you guys light your bowl? and with what type of apparatus. be it match or lighter? and of course the make of said apparatus.

I have used a many of devises over the years....matches, zippo pipe lighters, calibri pipe lighter. For the longest time i was using the Arango pipe lighter from austria.(bought a few over the years since they impossible to find now)

But within the past year or so things have changed. Mainly due to the fact of the industry i work in. I work in the smokeshop/headshop industry and have been for 5 years now. There is a product called Beeline. Tis a organic Hemp thats coated in beeswax. I have been using this lately to light my pipes and have been more than satisfied. I have been getting some of the cleanest lights and tastes from my pipes than ever before.

If you ever curious about trying something a little different I would take a look.

SirBriarMcpiperson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:26 am

Two words:
Old Boy. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josjor

Registration date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:47 am

Really?

I mean......Really?

So now I have to carry a fire source like a lighter or matches, AND a roll of hemp covered in beeswax. I dig out the match, dig out the beeswax, light the match, light the beeswax, put the match out, light my pipe, put out the beeswax, and stow the beeswax.

Then, in about a minute, since many tobacco's need a first charring light, I do that all again.

Or I could just grab the wooden match, light it, wait about a second for the sulphur to burn off, and light my pipe.

Sometimes, as humans, I think we look to invent solutions to problems that don't actually exist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:08 am

Josjor wrote:

Sometimes, as humans, I think we look to invent solutions to problems that don't actually exist.

(...shhhhh...the government is listening...) Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:32 am

Never even heard of Beeline.

I always use wooden matches, letting the sulphur burn off first.

Quote :
Tis a organic Hemp thats coated in beeswax. I have been using this lately to light my pipes and have been more than satisfied. I have been getting some of the cleanest lights and tastes from my pipes than ever before.

Are you sure that it's just hemp?

Seriously though, whatever works for you. I've used a regular Bic, a pipe lighter, matches, etc. Overall though, 95% of the time it's matches for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IronKnight

Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:21 am

The hemp thing sounds cool. However I get enough odd glances being the only 21 year old in a steel mill walking around with a cob hanging out of his mouth. No joke some people here think the concept of a pipe cleaner is beyond grasp. Id hate to try and explain that I have hemp coated in beeswax as an ignition source. However I can defininately see the appeal to some "purists"...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:55 am

I'm usually too lazy to use matches, and it's a pain in the ass when you're driving. That being said I do subscribe to the school that a butane flame is too hot to directly light the tobacco so I hold the flame well above the tobacco so the flame never actually touches the tobacco but the tobacco still smolders from the heat.

Xikar Resource, very nice lighter, has fold out tamper, pick and knife so I don't have to worry about hunting down the hundred czech tools hidden around my house and car.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 am

for those interested:
http://www.thebeelinestore.com/
If I were to mess about with spills, I'd split my own, but that's me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
roogles

Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 am

I prefer wooden matches, but often use my Zippo pipe lighter just for the convenience of it. I tend to smoke in situations where I'm often talking a lot as well, so frequent relights are common for me.

I'm pretty intrigued by the beeline idea, and since it looks like you can get a three-pack for $10 shipped I think I'm going to order some just to play with.

Cheers!

-Roogles
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://blog.roogles.com
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 am

Hermit wrote:
Two words:Old Boy. Twisted Evil

I went through the rest, this is the best. For me anyway. I supplied a lot of smokers at work with a wide range of lighters that didn't cut it, but I can't say my trip through lighter land was a waste because my curiosity was satisfied. But if I had the money back from what I spent on them I'd have a few more Cavicchis in the rack than I do now.,,, Very Happy

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Josjor wrote:

(...shhhhh...the government is listening...) Laughing

And the pharmaceutical industry....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SirBriarMcpiperson

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Quote :
So now I have to carry a fire source like a lighter or matches, AND a roll of hemp covered in beeswax. I dig out the match, dig out the beeswax, light the match, light the beeswax, put the match out, light my pipe, put out the beeswax, and stow the beeswax.

my dear sir.....the beeline is wrapped around my lighter, and I have a separate tamper. Tis not my first year smoking a pipe.....with practice certain things become second nature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Isn't Beeline the Syracuse men's basketball coach? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
murfman

Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:37 pm

I prefer matches sans sulfur. But I find myself using my Colibri pipe lighter more and more for convenience sake.

You guys that use matches any particular brand of matches that you use?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smokey422

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:58 pm

Hermit wrote:
Two words:
Old Boy. Twisted Evil

I agree with Hermit 100%. I couldn't do without my Old Boy. I've had it for years and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble, either. The only other lighter I use is a Zippo and that is reserved for outdoors.

Smokey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josjor

Registration date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:59 pm

SirBriarMcpiperson wrote:
Quote :

my dear sir.....the beeline is wrapped around my lighter, and I have a separate tamper. Tis not my first year smoking a pipe.....with practice certain things become second nature.

But its still just more work than I want to do and I'm not seeing how it gets me a better light than a good 'ol wooden match.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Josjor wrote:
But its still just more work than I want to do and I'm not seeing how it gets me a better light than a good 'ol wooden match.

I'm with you on this one.

For me matches inside, lighter outside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:29 pm

I'm sure moving a pile of rocks by hand from one area to another, and then back again is very philosophically enlightening, too. I'm still not going to do it. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:49 pm

I use my Zippo with the pipe insert about 90% of the time these days.

The other 10% I have a soft flame butane that is fine for pipes. It's the German one with a little pipe logo on the side. That cost about $8.

Cheers,

RR

x 2x 6  
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
SirBriarMcpiperson

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:31 pm

Those Austrian lighters with the tamper thr are like $10 have been the best lighters I have ever used. It was called arango.

I also used to use a zippo pipe lighter, till I tried something else, and it shocked my how much zippo fluid taste ended in my pipe. I haven't used a zippo pipe lighter in over a decade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:44 pm

2 1/2" Diamond matches, or whatever brand WalMart has. For me there is a weird synergy between matches and pipes; not so with cigars; Colibri torch there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
EC Outlaw

Registration date : 2011-11-24

PostSubject: Papaw used a pipe poker   Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:27 pm

My grandfather (Papaw) only smoked a pipe in the winter, and then only in the house. Being a railroad switchman in the steam locomotive days, he wasn't allowed anything in the yards that glowed red, so he chewed tobacco on the job, and in the summer on the front porch.

He lit his winter pipes from the coal fireplace grate which held a short wooden-handled poker bent 90 degrees on the end. He would pull it from the grate and stick the end in the bowl to light or re-light his pipe.

Anyone else ever seen one of those?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:29 pm

I use my Old Boy or my Xikar Equivalent to the Old Boy, both work equally well IMHO. Once in a blue moon stick matches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:05 pm

I use kitchen matches at home and if I'm in the car I use my Zippo with pipe insert. Tried lighting matches while driving and had to many near death experiences! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:55 pm

smokey422 wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Two words:
Old Boy. Twisted Evil

I agree with Hermit 100%. I couldn't do without my Old Boy. I've had it for years and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble, either. The only other lighter I use is a Zippo and that is reserved for outdoors.

Smokey

I agree I use my old boy, and zicar pipeline indoors and my zippos outside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Lighting techniques
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next