HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Lighting techniques

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:38 pm

The flame temperature of butane is much higher than matches. The temperature difference will affect the flavor of the tobacco as it's lit. With matches you'll start out at a lower temerature which will help keep it there throughout the smoke. Even though I love matches I usually opt for the practicality of a butane lighter.

There was an article called Thermodynamics of Pipe Smoking a few years ago which explained the combustion process taking place within the bowl. It was an enlightening article. geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kingcobradude

Registration date : 2011-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:00 am

after reading that ill stick to matches or other pieces of wood to light my pipe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:17 pm

I took the plung... using an IM Corona now. Used to use a Bic. Guess I just need some more pipe and cigar accessories? No other reason really. A Bic is still a good option. The only thing I don't like is that the flame is one size only... making it a little more difficult to light a pipe well. This is ultimately why I switched over to the IM Corona. It has a nice adjustable flame. Plus, it has a tamper. I went with the small diamond Room 101. I really like it. Matches are a good option, but I never seem to use them. I guess for the same reason I never use a dictionary... there's an easier way to do it now.
Milan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeDreams

Registration date : 2011-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:56 am

I read that article last week and decided to try being more careful with lighting up my pipes: I keep the flame off the tobacco and it keeps my pipes much cooler and tastier. I also find I need to relight much less often too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:36 am

As far as pipe lighting, wooden matches work fine at home, my old Dunhill Rollagas when I'm "out". But I remember lighting "hemp", we used to roll it in Riz-La papers and use matches or a Zippo to light it and take a toke and pass it on back in the '60s Razz Nite, Nite cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Milan wrote:
I took the plung... using an IM Corona now. Used to use a Bic. Guess I just need some more pipe and cigar accessories? No other reason really. A Bic is still a good option. The only thing I don't like is that the flame is one size only... making it a little more difficult to light a pipe well. This is ultimately why I switched over to the IM Corona. It has a nice adjustable flame. Plus, it has a tamper. I went with the small diamond Room 101. I really like it. Matches are a good option, but I never seem to use them. I guess for the same reason I never use a dictionary... there's an easier way to do it now.
Milan

Trivia o' the day: The lighter was invented before matches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gkhanna74

Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Old Boy pipe lighter is what I use. Sometimes, I will use long, wooden matches -- but I have been a devoted user of Old Boys for 15 years now.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Colibri pipe lighter when I'm at home, swan matches when abroad. May have to try this waxy whatsit out of curiosity...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Plain ol' 1 1/2" wooden matches. Tho sometimes I'll walk over to the pine tree and pick up a few needles. Then I light the needles and use them to light the pipe. Is this silly? Might be. It reminds me of sitting on a log up in the Great Nawth Woods, without having to actually drive 500 miles and be eaten by black flies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BuckeyeBoy34

Registration date : 2012-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:35 pm

I am a purist so wooden matches for me. Why make simple things more complicated and matches and a pipe do soo seem to go together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: BuckeyeBoy34 wrote:   Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:08 pm

BuckeyeBoy34 wrote:
I am a purist so wooden matches for me. Why make simple things more complicated and matches and a pipe do soo seem to go together.

If you K.I.S.S. it what would folks talk about here ? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:57 am

I prefer a vintage Old Boy lighter msyelf. Never fails to light and with it the tobacco always lights on the first try without ever charring the rim.

Here is my Original OLD BOY Lighter Model #1.

They don't make 'em like that anymore! Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Lighting techniques   Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
I prefer a vintage Old Boy lighter msyelf. Never fails to light and with it the tobacco always lights on the first try without ever charring the rim.

Here is my Original OLD BOY Lighter Model #1.

They don't make 'em like that anymore! Cool

I take it that was for use with clay and porcelain pipes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999

Lighting techniques
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2