HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A Pet Peeve

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 am

A post that simply states "^ +1."

As whatever statement that you are agreeing with has already been posted, then why are you posting? You tell us nothing more than your agreement; we don't need your agreement, we need you to say something or nothing at all.

I anticipate that someone will reply to this post with "^ +1". . .damn you to hell, you rascal!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:48 am

I think it comes from the Facebook culture, where you show your approval or agreement with something by "Liking" it. It think there is some merit to a thread that Goes:

Person A: Thinking about trying MacBaren Burley London Blend

Person B: Yeah, thats good stuff, but be careful it bites like a rabid dog!

Person C: I agree - very good but be careful it bites

Person D: That has been my experience too.

Though that same thread often gets condensed like this:

(A) Thinking about trying MacBaren Burley London Blend

(B) Yeah, thats good stuff, but be careful it bites like a rabid dog!

(C) ^This!!!

(D) Yeah, that ^

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:42 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
we need you to say something or nothing at all.

I just read the official BoB rules and regulations handbook and nowhere did I see any reference to speech requirements, types of communication, or comment abstention guidelines.

There also is no reference to who is in charge of whining about this place not being perfect,,,I'll pencil your name in along with a few others. Very Happy

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:51 am

Such non-English shorthand may be acceptable on Facebook (one of the reasons that I don't go there, among others) but I'm glad it's not yet common on BoB. If you do agree but have nothing to say regarding why you agree, say nothing. If you don't tell me why I should care, I don't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:07 am

I never said anyone broke a rule; I simply said I don't like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:41 am

I've added [ ^ +1 ] to my list of things that make people unhappy here. ROTFLMAO,,,

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:42 am

OOPS,,,, Embarassed

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:05 pm

I totally get where you're coming from with this one. I'm definitely not a fan of the non-English, numbers & symbols for words, etc. type of communication that has become prevalent in rapid textual communication in the last ten years.

That being said, I'm definitely guilty of quoting someone and saying, "I agree!"

Having looked at a bunch of threads that contain similar responses, I've actually found that they are frequently helpful as it allows the person who originated the post to see where general consensus most likely lies.

So, in short, I don't mind about the "+1"s.

Hmm... maybe you could instigate a counter culture of "-1"s just to see what happens? Twisted Evil Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:08 pm

What if you disagree?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:09 pm

It's much older than Facebook or Myspace. I have seen it used on forums for a long time. I sometimes just post a cool smiley. But I was in a hurry. Cool

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:34 pm

Bub wrote:
What if you disagree?

- 1! ^
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:46 pm

Say what you might about Facebook, but they saw the plague of +1/me-too and streamlined it into the "Like" button. There's still low-stakes affirmation available, but it doesn't clog up the thread.

I try not to get too annoyed with Internet atrocities against dialogue, rhetoric, grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. As an English teacher, I'd have a coronary if I let it get to me. (Hell, my own sloppy grammar online should shame me into silence.) If I ignored every post with internet shorthand or a comma splice, I'd miss some good content. So I just look in the mirror and say:

A really disappointing thing to consider: grammar and usage are no worse on the Internet than anywhere else in the real world--there are just substantially more people writing more words online, sans editor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:55 pm

I donít see a proliferation of signs and symbols on the forum to become much of an issue. I must admit, I donít have a particular liking for them. Having said that, I occasionally use an emoticon to show agreement or to cheer someone along. Sometimes thereís not much more to be said about what someone wrote without becoming redundant (definitely a sin in my book). Elaborating for the sake of elaborating has the potential of becoming annoying. But an emoticon shows the person immediately a particular emotion. He gets the point quickly without fuss or bother. I think thereís probably a place for its limited usage. On the other hand, I do use our mother-tongue when I disagree with someone. I try to clearly as I can explain why I disagree sans signs, symbols or emoticons.

C'est la vie!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Say what you might about Facebook, but they saw the plague of +1/me-too and streamlined it into the "Like" button. There's still low-stakes affirmation available, but it doesn't clog up the thread.

I try not to get too annoyed with Internet atrocities against dialogue, rhetoric, grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. As an English teacher, I'd have a coronary if I let it get to me. (Hell, my own sloppy grammar online should shame me into silence.) If I ignored every post with internet shorthand or a comma splice, I'd miss some good content. So I just look in the mirror and say:

A really disappointing thing to consider: grammar and usage are no worse on the Internet than anywhere else in the real world--there are just substantially more people writing more words online, sans editor.

cheers cheers cheers

Or should I say "three cheers"!

Or perhaps "I agree with you because it reflects my innermost feelings and makes the machinery of the internet work in a more efficient manner."

Hell, Iíll just say cheers cheers cheers

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Carlos wrote:
It's much older than Facebook or Myspace. I have seen it used on forums for a long time. I sometimes just post a cool smiley. But I was in a hurry. Cool

Plus one. Cool

I'm not sure what to tell you, Alfredo. It just ain't gonna go away. I mean, there isn't a "like" button. *shrug* It shows consensus.

When I was posting on BBS (bulletin board systems) back in the late 80's and early 90's, usually on dial-up, concise responses and shorthand (not idiot speak, 1337speek or text shorthand) was common to people messaging back and forth. It's been around longer than you think. Probably before those times, too, during NetType, one of the first network messaging protocols that worked very similar to text messaging, but computer to computer. Sometimes delays, bad phone lines, disconnects and crappy software dictated how "wordy" one could get.

Obviously, I, for one, was in hell. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
When I was posting on BBS (bulletin board systems) back in the late 80's and early 90's, usually on dial-up, concise responses and shorthand (not idiot speak, 1337speek or text shorthand) was common to people messaging back and forth. It's been around longer than you think. Probably before those times, too, during NetType, one of the first network messaging protocols that worked very similar to text messaging, but computer to computer. Sometimes delays, bad phone lines, disconnects and crappy software dictated how "wordy" one could get.
If memory serves, the diction guideline back then depended on whether or not you needed an active connection to post. In media that were retrieved and read offline--email, listserv, usenet--"me too" behavior has always been frowned on. Active connections like BBS threads, IRC, etc. saw shorthand as a necessary evil, and in some circles even embraced it as a shibboleth. What we see online today is the bastard child of the two modes, muddled further as telephony and computing overlap more and more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:02 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:

If memory serves, the diction guideline back then depended on whether or not you needed an active connection to post. In media that were retrieved and read offline--email, listserv, usenet--"me too" behavior has always been frowned on. Active connections like BBS threads, IRC, etc. saw shorthand as a necessary evil, and in some circles even embraced it as a shibboleth. What we see online today is the bastard child of the two modes, muddled further as telephony and computing overlap more and more.

We had a dial-in server called "Superstation BBS" here in Reno that was direct connect, not dial-up and retrieve. It was one of the first in the area...very cool for the time. It had its own mail, text-based games (Legend of the Red Dragon was very popular), and chat areas. That's what "birthed" the confirmation and affirmation shorthand, was the direct-connect and chatting stuff, which unless logged, wasn't really anything except a waste of bandwidth...which wasting bandwidth when you could was AWESOME! I mean, look at us now, by comparison. Heheheh. Sending a whole mail with just "Yup," or "1+" would have made someone's eyes bleed, this is true.

I find it funny we're almost going backwards by putting technology we escaped in the 1990s back in our pockets to revisit on Android and iPhones some decades later... texting, slow connections, unreliable programs, people programming in their bedrooms and selling/giving to the public... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:19 pm

I meant no disrespect to anyone. But aren't we allowed to say what we don't like, even if trivial? Is this board so entrenched in "like" responses that we can't "dislike?" We all have opinions. Weeks back I did express a dislike that was more major than trivial, but in the nine years that I've been posting to this and the Knox board, I can count on one hand the number of times that I've expressed a solid dislike. Mostly I make a good effort to ignore, give the benefit of the doubt and stay positive.

Certainly my dislike is more trivial than major. I was simply going on record that this is something I dislike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:21 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
I meant no disrespect to anyone. But aren't we allowed to say what we don't like, even if trivial?

Of course! Just try a little "-1." Just once. It's super fun, all the hip kids are doing it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:04 pm

=

Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Airborne wrote:
alfredo_buscatti wrote:
I meant no disrespect to anyone. But aren't we allowed to say what we don't like, even if trivial? Is this board so entrenched in "like" responses that we can't "dislike?" We all have opinions. Weeks back I did express a dislike that was more major than trivial, but in the nine years that I've been posting to this and the Knox board, I can count on one hand the number of times that I've expressed a solid dislike. Mostly I make a good effort to ignore, give the benefit of the doubt and stay positive.

Certainly my dislike is more trivial than major. I was simply going on record that this is something I dislike.

Alfredo -

I donít think anyone intimated that you (or anyone else) couldnít post a pet peeve. I think you elicited so many responses in such a short time because embedded in your post was the suggestion that if all someone was going to do is agree with someone else and had nothing further to add, then he shouldnít post anything at all.

Thereís a wide variety of writing styles on this board. Personally, I read the posts that interest me and either skim or avoid the ones that donít. If I had a pet peeve with a particular person (and I did only once), I'd PMd him.

No hard feelings intended or received.

Sorry here, but I second this! Wink
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:13 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Airborne wrote:

No hard feelings intended or received.

Sorry here, but I second this! Wink

Indeed. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:32 pm

You guys are incorrigible.

Yes, I identified the +1 because it doesn't say anything; and if you have nothing to say, polite conversation requires your silence. Agreement, if it is substantive, requires more than 2 characters to be stated; otherwise, why post? Why do I care that you agree when you don't tell me why? Certainly it's no great burden for me to read through these posts, but I find them useless. Before I post I am in the habit of asking myself what, if anything,
will be gained by it, and if the answer is not much, I don't post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:07 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
Yes, I identified the +1 because it doesn't say anything; and if you have nothing to say, polite conversation requires your silence. Agreement, if it is substantive, requires more than 2 characters to be stated; otherwise, why post? Why do I care that you agree when you don't tell me why? Certainly it's no great burden for me to read through these posts, but I find them useless. Before I post I am in the habit of asking myself what, if anything,
will be gained by it, and if the answer is not much, I don't post.

A fair assertion. I have often found myself entertaining similar thoughts and, honestly, I frequently abstain from posting on a subject because I've got nothing new to contribute. Obviously not often enough. Razz

However, I stick to my previous statement about the benefits of this kind of posting. A prime example just occurred on this thread. As a group of individuals, we expressed that there was no harm or fowl created by this thread. When all we have to see are each other's posts, I think that multiple responses like that are valuable. It's like a digital head nod or grunt of agreement.

alfredo_buscatti wrote:

Muah hah! Twisted Evil Wink
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:20 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:

And the restraint and kindness you show not cluttering up the forum with nonsense like the rest of us makes you a saint among Brothers! Laughing

I honestly see what you're saying. I just think it's a weird pet peeve. It's just affirmation/recognition/separation. Casting a collective vote. We're social pack animals. We like this kind of stuff.

"I agree," "You are the Opinion God," "I vote yes," "I second that," "I think that sucks," "To hell with what you think," etc... Laughing

*shrug*

I dunno. Hey look, my porch is sunny. Time for Orientalweed in a cob! cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile

A Pet Peeve
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: