HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A Pet Peeve

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I dunno. Hey look, my porch is sunny. Time for Orientalweed in a cob! cheers

Jealous. Maybe I'll just stash away my PAD funds and buy a sunny porch to tide me over during the winter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:08 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:
I dunno. Hey look, my porch is sunny. Time for Orientalweed in a cob! cheers

Jealous. Maybe I'll just stash away my PAD funds and buy a sunny porch to tide me over during the winter.

I think that's called "timesharing." Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad Davis

Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:29 pm

My pet peeve, although it always makes me laugh, so it's not really a peeve, is when someone posts a question, and someone actually takes the time to respond with, "I don't know", or words to that effect.

Now that is really useless. Laughing

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Rad Davis wrote:
My pet peeve, although it always makes me laugh, so it's not really a peeve, is when someone posts a question, and someone actually takes the time to respond with, "I don't know", or words to that effect.

Rad

We have a fella on another forum I belong to that constantly does that. But it takes him a paragraph to say it. I think its out of pure boredom that he does it. One of those I have ta post people. Most of us just sigh and go on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:58 pm

<------- kind of that guy. Very energetic, slow season for work, broke. Hooray forums! Laughing Embarassed I just theorize a lot, but yeah, if I don't know something, would much rather express interest in the answer and keep on top of it for questions later. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Rad Davis wrote:

Rad

<--- Guilty! I try to keep this to a minimum, but sometimes I run off at the keyboard. My apologies in advance for any future "I don't know"ing that I may do. geek
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Since we are on pet peeves.
I can not stand post in all caps.

I don't go so far as to berate someone about it, but its just flat out rude.
It reminds me of my brother in law, Mr always talk just a little louder than everyone else because what I have to say is more important and must be noticed Ledington.

Can I get a +1 Brother??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wayne_Teipen

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:25 pm

I don't have anything constructive to add to this thread. I just thought I'd let you all know. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teipenpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:25 pm

puros_bran wrote:

It reminds me of my brother in law, Mr always talk just a little louder than everyone else because what I have to say is more important and must be noticed Ledington.

Can I get a +1 Brother??

+100 YES ABSOLUTELY--NOT YELLING AT ALL JUST EMPHASIZING--SORRY--I DON'T KNOW
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:43 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
puros_bran wrote:

Can I get a +1 Brother??

+100 YES ABSOLUTELY--NOT YELLING AT ALL JUST EMPHASIZING--SORRY--I DON'T KNOW

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Looks like Kyle took care of this one, but posts in all bold irk me. I don't lose sleep over it, but why is everything bolded in some folks' posts? Bolding is generally used for emphasis. Are they trying to contrast the main stream by setting up the ability to not use bolding in order to draw attention to something?

Let's do an experiment. Does this work at all?

No offense to brothers that do this. I'd encourage those who do to chime in 'cause I'd love to understand the motivation behind this.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Perhaps a misguided (and I mean misguided) attempt at doing what italics are supposed to imply?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:49 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Perhaps a misguided (and I mean misguided) attempt at doing what italics are supposed to imply?

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:52 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Indeed.

+1, I DON'T KNOW, PASS THE POTATOES, K? OMG, BBQ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Indeed.

+1, I DON'T KNOW, PASS THE POTATOES, K? OMG, BBQ

Now THAT'S comedy! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:08 am

You're far too easily amused, and also, enabling me. I imagine other BoB members testing sobriety due to things like this that I am involved in. pale I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:14 am

"A little nonsense now and then
Is relished by the wisest men."

cheers

Seriously though, I owe alfredo_buscatti an apology for hijaking his thread.

Sorry that I helped devolve this thread into sillyness. pale
Back to top Go down
Stackle2

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:07 am

I can't believe that I just read 3 pages of this, but you guys put a smile on my face.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:24 am

Stackle2 wrote:
I can't believe that I just read 3 pages of this, but you guys put a smile on my face.

Wasting precious Internets!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:28 pm

I post in bold letters, not as much as I use to because some look down on it for reasons unknown to me. I don't understand this "It irritates me" or it "blurs my screen"etc. I do it not to draw attention like said earlier but so I can read it easier. For some reason the fonts in the posting window (for a lack of a better word) are very small and thin to me and it makes it very hard to read what I'm typing. They have a tendency to blur together.
So I do this not to peeve people off I do it so I can see it. Some of us are not blessed with eternal vision. If you knew me, you'd all know that I will NEVER do anything without thinking about the other fella first. But sometimes you'll find people that are just impossible to please and maybe think the world should revolve around them.
This is just my opinion and not intended to invoke anger or point fingers or a finger at anyone. Thank you for being patient and understanding my views and rights to have a opinion whether you agree with me or not.

And May you all have a very Merry Christmas whether you get me a present or not!
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Cataphilus wrote:
I post in bold letters, not as much as I use to because some look down on it for reasons unknown to me. I don't understand this "It irritates me" or it "blurs my screen"etc. I do it not to draw attention like said earlier but so I can read it easier. For some reason the fonts in the posting window (for a lack of a better word) are very small and thin to me and it makes it very hard to read what I'm typing. They have a tendency to blur together.
So I do this not to peeve people off I do it so I can see it. Some of us are not blessed with eternal vision. If you knew me, you'd all know that I will NEVER do anything without thinking about the other fella first. But sometimes you'll find people that are just impossible to please and maybe think the world should revolve around them.
This is just my opinion and not intended to invoke anger or point fingers or a finger at anyone. Thank you for being patient and understanding my views and rights to have a opinion whether you agree with me or not.

And May you all have a very Merry Christmas whether you get me a present or not!

Thanks for providing me with some insight! I do have another question though.

In the posting window, I'm unable to see the html accents that I add to what I'm writing until I hit preview. I imagine that it's the same for everyone, so I'm confused how the bolding would help you while you type.

Do you type your post and then preview them first so you can double check, in bold, what you've written?

I ask this follow up because I sincerely wish to understand. In no way do I wish to cause frustration to anyone.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:28 pm

You are correct, I have to preview before I post most of the time depending on how lengthy I write.
But, Some other forums I can written the initial post in bold and that helps much more.
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Cataphilus wrote:
You are correct, I have to preview before I post most of the time depending on how lengthy I write.
But, Some other forums I can written the initial post in bold and that helps much more.

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the enlightenment! cheers

I couldn't help but notice that your last post was written sans bolding. How'd that work out for you?
Back to top Go down
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Cataphilus wrote:

I don't mind bold but I find reading a post in all CAPS difficult to read, especially in longer ones and unless they're really interesting, I usually don't finish them.

Have a very Merry Christmas yourself!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:25 pm

I'll try to answer both of your posts here.

1st When posting a large paragraph which I do from time to time. The blurring of all the words is more apparent to me then when posting something short with less lines. So the need to bold is less. So I wont because of peoples seemed annoyance to it.

2nd I wont use capitals unless when starting a sentence, the word or words call for the first letter to be capital or showing importance or to show YELLING! Which I don't do because I feel you'll know by how I write if I'm yelling or not or should be yelling.
Or on the rare occasion I'm trying to be funny.

If it bothers too many of you I will refrain from bold lettering, if no one really gives a hoot in h*ll I will continue.

And please excuse me, I haven't the knowledge or writing skills of many of you to convey exactly what I mean sometimes and may use words that I can spell instead of ones that would explain myself better.
Hope that made sense. scratch
What is sans bolding?

Last edited by Cataphilus on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

A Pet Peeve
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: