HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Getting very frustrated with USPS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:39 am

For about the last year or so I have noticed a severe drop in the quality of the USPS service. It used to be that if I ordered something from Pipesandcigars or Cup O' Joes (both in upstate New York) on a Monday, it would arrive by Wednesday without fail. A little while back I heard a story about a local postman getting caught with the trunk of his car literally overflowing with undelivered mail. About 6-8 mos ago a local news station caught the postal carriers from in my neighborhood spending the entire afternoon in local bar. One stumbled into his truck obviously drunk. Ever since then things have gotten pretty bad.

I once ordered a pipe from ebay that left the seller in CA and didn't arrive here in Philly for 10 days. Then I sent two tins of tobacco to a guy in Texas. I had a DC number and for nearly three weeks it sat there saying "we have been notified to expect your shipment" or something like that. Then out of the blue it started to move and was delivered a few days later. More recently I sent something to Kyle and again the DC number showed no movement for 5 or 6 days, then all of a sudden listed the package as being delivered.

Most recently I ordered a package of Penzance from Iwan Reis last week. Initially the DC number listed it for delivery on Saturday, then changed it to Monday. On Monday it was listed as out for delivery but didn't show. Then yesterday it said out for delivery again and the delivery date change from 12/19 to 12/20 but still nothing. Now again, it says out for delivery with an anticipated delivery date of 12/21. I'm starting to get pretty darn frustrated. I want my Penzance!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr_Jeff

Registration date : 2009-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:53 am

We had a local mail carrier get caught with a bunch of undelivered mail. She had so much of it that she had to rent a storage unit to keep it all in. It was only discovered when she stopped paying the rent and they opened it up to auction off the contents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roogles

Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Mr_Jeff wrote:
We had a local mail carrier get caught with a bunch of undelivered mail. She had so much of it that she had to rent a storage unit to keep it all in. It was only discovered when she stopped paying the rent and they opened it up to auction off the contents.

About 10 years ago we had a very similar thing to this pop up in our small town. The large local storage unit facility was cracking open units which were long overdue and being re-claimed and they discovered a unit of a recently deceases, retired driver for one of the major carriers. The local story was that he had been placing items in the unit which he "didn't get around to delivering in a timely manner" for years while on the job, and then had kept paying the rent on the unit through is retirement until he died.

Apparently no one knew about the unit or its contents, except for the driver - although it's always struck me as suspicious as to how that quantity of "stuff" could go missing over the course of years without anyone pinning it to him.

I wasn't personally the recipient of any of the lost items, but I had one or two co-workers who received years-late packages as the carrier tried to sort-out the contents of the storage unit.

Very very strange, if you ask me...

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://blog.roogles.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:43 pm

From time to time I've had some minor problems with USPS but, for the most part its been pretty good if you compare them to UPS (United Parcel Crushers) and others.
Delivery Confirmation doesn't always get scanned so it may appear to be sitting when its not. As far as getting something from California in a timely manner that's a whole other can of worms there. I am in no way affiliated with USPS.
But if you want to talk about UPS, then I've got some stories for you. And I'm certainly not affiliated with them in anyway.

Last edited by Cartaphilus on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:49 pm

=

Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Receiving USPS stuff down here has generally been pretty good. Between 10 to 14 days. Over the holidays it invariably takes longer though. Last year's December order from smokingpipes took almost two MONTHS to get here. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:49 pm

If I'm not sure it's going to make its first leg by air, I go with a courier--usually faster at a pretty competitive price. Had pretty good luck so far with USPS for longer-distance shipping, knock on wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:51 pm

I must be lucky. Since I'm disabled and can't climb stairs while carrying any sort of package, my carriers always hand deliver whatever I order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:06 pm

I've heard far more people complaining on the East Coast about package delivery than here in the West. By a long shot. Usually it's outgoing problems, but not always. USPS is in a lot of trouble in a lot of ways.

I worked for UPS for four years. I both loved and loathed that job. The union is a joke, the management is a joke, their services are a joke. I loved the type of work, bonehead-throw-boxes kind of stuff, left me time to think, get dirty, drink like fish at the end of the week and start all over again. Meathead work for the substandard intellectual. Laughing It was cool. Everything else was terrible.

Logistics and parcel work is tough. If it's mismanaged, it's going to go to shit really quickly.

Hey, there's always FedEx:

Sending goods anywhere, with anyone, is a prayer and luck at best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I've heard far more people complaining on the East Coast about package delivery than here in the West. By a long shot. Usually it's outgoing problems, but not always. USPS is in a lot of trouble in a lot of ways.

I worked for UPS for four years. I both loved and loathed that job. The union is a joke, the management is a joke, their services are a joke. I loved the type of work, bonehead-throw-boxes kind of stuff, left me time to think, get dirty, drink like fish at the end of the week and start all over again. Meathead work for the substandard intellectual. Laughing It was cool. Everything else was terrible.

Logistics and parcel work is tough. If it's mismanaged, it's going to go to shit really quickly.

Hey, there's always FedEx:

Sending goods anywhere, with anyone, is a prayer and luck at best.

Good grief! I can't believe that video. If I saw them do that to my monitor I would have a serious duck-fit! Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:30 pm

I've only had good experiences so far with pipes. I shipped a Jake Hackert on a Thursday from Maryland to MO, insured First Class ($4.92 cost). The new owner received it on Monday. That same day, I used my Hackert money to buy my Upshall from an Ebay vendor in Washington State. I was shocked to pull that pipe (send Delivery Confirmation) out my my mailbox on Monday. That's insane.
Maybe it's different in larger cities. I spoke to a NYC postal carrier last week. He just retired after 35 years and in the past ten, worked a 120 story office building in Manhattan. When he started that route, there were 10 guys working that building. When he retired this summer, they were down to two. I guess that math just doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:01 am

I guess I should count my blessings and keep my mouth shut. As frustrated as I am with USPS, everything has always shown up eventually.

As time goes on my wife and I have found that we do more and more of our shopping online. So before the holidays we decided to sign up for Amazon Prime. Its a service where you a pay an annual fee of $80 and you get free 2nd day shipping on all Amazon purchases. So needless to say we did most of our holiday shopping with Amazon. Most things shipped via UPS and arrived within 2 days, some even arriving after only one day. Unfortunately we decided to splurge a bit on my sister this year and bought her a pricey hand bag. We ordered it on Saturday, leaving plenty of time for it to get here by Christmas. When it didn't show up by Thursday I logged into to Amazon to check the shipping status and found that it was listed as having been delivered on Wednesday. Turns out they used some third-rate shipper called Lasership and no one knows what happened to it. We get a lot of packages delivered and left on our doorstep and have never had a problem with one disappearing and actually on Wednesday we had several other packages (delivered by UPS) waiting for us.

Long story short, Amazon is now out of stock and doesn't expect more in anytime soon. The only thing they can do is refund my money. So now its the day before Christmas and we have to scramble to find a gift for my sister.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mike_68

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:21 am

You may not have to worry about a postal system soon...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:41 am

mike_68 wrote:
You may not have to worry about a postal system soon...

Back to the Pony Express!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:24 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
So UPS is just a bunch of Bukowskis with freight trucks? No wonder their colors are brown and yellow...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:44 am

EFFIN USPS is taking the 26th off because Christmas is on a Sunday!!!
What a bunch of low life mother effers!!!
I paid extra to have my packages delivered later. Gotta love it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:22 am

Doc Manhattan wrote:

So UPS is just a bunch of Bukowskis with freight trucks? No wonder their colors are brown and yellow...

Strangely true. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:22 am

puros_bran wrote:
EFFIN USPS is taking the 26th off because Christmas is on a Sunday!!!
What a bunch of low life mother effers!!!
I paid extra to have my packages delivered later. Gotta love it.

Yikes. I didn't notice that. Arsehats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:32 pm

I think it all depends on where you live to some degree. My post man is a nice old man that lives in my neighborhood. His name is Floyd and he always leaves our dog two treats everyday. Today... Floyd delivered a package for my wife in the morning and two packages for me around 5PM... one of which was a pipe I won off eBay on Tuesday. USPS is on my good side right now, but they've been on my shit list many times throughout the years.
Milan
rendeer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:25 am

USPS delivered a small box to my house yesterday, which looked suspiciously pipe-sized.....quickly whisked away by Mrs. Riff-Raff....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:24 am

riff raff wrote:
USPS delivered a small box to my house yesterday, which looked suspiciously pipe-sized.....quickly whisked away by Mrs. Riff-Raff....

Haha! It's going to be a good one! I received one of those suspicious pipe-sized boxes as well!

Merry Christmas!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:34 am

If you don't like the current USPS service, be patient. Things are about to change.....

Post Office Lays Out More Details On Service Changes, Closings

Dropping a first-class letter in the mail in the morning and expecting it will get to its destination by the next day would be a thing of the past under changes the U.S. Postal Service is detailing this hour.

But there will be no change in the Post Office's commitment to deliver a first-class letter anywhere in the continental U.S. within three days, spokesman Dave Williams just told reporters on a conference call.

Widely anticipated and laid out in broad terms back in September, the changes are part of a broad restructuring which includes the anticipated closing of up to 250 or so processing facilities and the elimination of about 28,000 more jobs as the Post Office looks for ways to stem the billions of dollars in red ink it is accumulating.

Williams said that among the other changes the Post Office wants to institute by next spring is to change "the geographic reach of our current 2-day standard" from about a 12-hour drive from a letter's point of origin to about 4-hours. In other words, the Post Office will guarantee delivery in two days or less within that 4-hour window. Anything beyond that, the guarantee is 3 days or less.

Only commercial, bulk mailers might be able to get their first-class mail delivered the next day if they get it, properly bundled, to the Post Office early in the morning.

The Post Office estimates it would save $2.1 billion annually thanks to the changes, Williams added. it lost $5.1 billion in the past year, according to The Associated Press.

As for post offices in small towns and the likelihood that many will be closed in coming years, Williams said that is being studied. He also said the Post Office is not now seeking to eliminate Saturday delivery but is still studying that as well.

We'll add more about today's additional details about the Post Office's plans later.

Update at 12:10 p.m. ET: The USPS statement about the changes is now posted here.

Before today's news conference, The Associated Press put together a video report on the expected changes.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/12/05/143138063/post-office-lays-out-more-details-on-service-changes-closings
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Airborne wrote:
riff raff wrote:

Haha! It's going to be a good one! I received one of those suspicious pipe-sized boxes as well!

Merry Christmas!
My eyes didn't deceive, a fine Cavicchi from a brother on the SmokersForum, a beauty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LoadedBowls

Registration date : 2012-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:42 pm

Sadly I live in a Town of less then 2000 people and here we don't have any home delivery, If you live in town you want your mail you have to go to the Post Office pay for a BOX and get your mail there, Right now I have a Item setting there the DC says Notice Left yesterday because they don't open the office for us to pick up items. And I guess to lazy to put it in the OVER size box with a Key in my box to pick up the thing. Now they are talking about Closing this Office. Don't understand how they are so far in Debt. I mean we pay for the services they carry out.

Maybe they need to not Pay such high wages. Stop Stealing our packages. bounce

Anyway time to smoke some of The Cube to Relax some.

James
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting very frustrated with USPS   Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Part of my duties involve working at a large mail facility searching for narcotics, contraband, WMD / WME, HAZMAT, etc. You'd be shocked at what happens on a daily basis. I've regularly seen old mail under machinery go untouched for weeks at a time. When you tell the employees, they ignore you and go to their Supervisors and say that you are harassing them!!!

It's a miracle that ANYTHING gets delivered on time. I used to tease Winslow (miss you Brother!) about the USPS when he worked for them. Now, much of what I said has actually come true. I still see mail from October at one of the locations. It just sits in "post-cons" and never moves.

One of the largest sorting facilities in the US will be closing down and the operations will be consolidated to another location five states away. So, if you are hoping on getting anything from overseas, be ready for all shipments to become delayed beyond what they already are. You'll pay more and get less in the end.

Once the Government finally wises up and cuts its' ties to the Postal Service, maybe then it will become a competitive entity. Until that happens, you'll still get the same old crappy service that you are used to.

To be honest, how many of us even use the mail for anything other than Christmas cards, packages, and receiving junk mail? I can't even remember the last time I actually sent any letters via USPS. I do 90-95% of everything I do online now. When I go to my local Post Office to check my PO box, I usually end up throwing out almost all of it because it's bulk mailers / fliers and crap that I don't want or need. Cut all of that out, and the Postal Workers won't have to rent storage units to hide the mail that they aren't able to deliver due to the sheer volume of said crap!!!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Getting very frustrated with USPS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next