Making my First Pipe

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

Making my First Pipe - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 10:03 pm

The proportions of the shank to the shape and size of the bowl are THERE !! I especially like the partial rustication you have in the top and all the birdseye as well! That's one nice looking piece of briar and you have brought out it's best aspects with that shape! Will be looking forward to seeing it all finished! Great work!!
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks a lot for the kind words everyone! Very Happy

monbla256 wrote:
The proportions of the shank to the shape and size of the bowl are THERE !! I especially like the partial rustication you have in the top and all the birdseye as well! That's one nice looking piece of briar and you have brought out it's best aspects with that shape! Will be looking forward to seeing it all finished! Great work!!

I really appreciate your specific comments!

Just to clarify, the spots on the rim that aren't smooth are actually spots of plateau that I didn't sand all the way down. I like that there's a little of the outside of the block still showing. Those spots also make a beautiful pattern on the rim of the pipe, IMO. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Seriously, guys, thank you all so much for your positive feedback and support. The response to my first pipe (even before it's finished!) has been overwhelmingly positive and I am truly touched by everyone's kind words.

I'll post photos when I receive my next care package of supplies. The end is in sight... Cool
Back to top Go down
Dave_In_Philly

Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:15 pm

All kidding aside, she sure is a beautiful pipe. Enjoy her in good health! We need a drooling emoticon for me to be able to properly express my feelings.
Back to top Go down
flytyer

flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Great looking pipe. Im eager to see the final photos after the staining and buffing.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 2:23 pm

You're getting better results than I am, sir, it's awesome. I expect it to arrive finished and polished soon; you have my address. Cool

cheers
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 6:32 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
You're getting better results than I am, sir, it's awesome. I expect it to arrive finished and polished soon; you have my address. Cool

cheers

lol! Well if you liked it before, you'll really like it now. Update time!

I received my supplies from PIMO today and got to work staining. I did a test stain on a spare chunk of briar and I'm going with a contrast cherry stain which I think is going to wind up beautiful. I was only able to finish the first round of staining today, but take a look!

Making my First Pipe - Page 6 Dsc00610
Making my First Pipe - Page 6 Dsc00611
Making my First Pipe - Page 6 Dsc00612
Making my First Pipe - Page 6 Dsc00613
Making my First Pipe - Page 6 Dsc00614
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 6:55 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Simple Man wrote:
GIVE ME THAT PIPE!!! Laughing

That is incredible! Are you sure you haven't made a pipe before??? Suspect

lol! Positive! Wink
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Smug bastard. Very Happy

It's beautiful, and you know it is. Cool
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 pm

It's going to be a REAL STUNNING pipe when it is completed for sure!! Looking forward to seeing it all finished and polished up Razz
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks again, fellas!

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Smug bastard. Very Happy

It's beautiful, and you know it is. Cool

Haha! I definitely think it's beautiful and I'm over the moon that everyone else seems to think so too. Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Update time!

So I've got the final stain on the pipe and it's lookin' pretty good. Only step left at this point is to give it a healthy buffing! Check it out:

Making my First Pipe - Page 6 Dsc00615
Making my First Pipe - Page 6 Dsc00616
Making my First Pipe - Page 6 Dsc00617
Making my First Pipe - Page 6 Dsc00618

Next update will be of the finished product! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 2:21 pm

...it's takin' him long enough... Razz

Laughing

<------- (impatient)

Cool
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
...it's takin' him long enough... Razz

Laughing

<------- (impatient)

Cool

lol! You don't know the half of it. I did a lot of the shaping over a year ago!

I'm at 82 hours right now and I expect to have 85 total put into the pipe by the time it's done. Probably less. For my next pipe, I'm hoping to at least cut that time in half.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 3:31 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:

lol! You don't know the half of it. I did a lot of the shaping over a year ago!

I'm at 82 hours right now and I expect to have 85 total put into the pipe by the time it's done. Probably less. For my next pipe, I'm hoping to at least cut that time in half.

Geez, man, if you sell it, that's going to be about $2.00 per hour. Razz Someone needs a good production manager. Heheheheh

Cool
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 2:59 pm

When you get that puppy polished up it's gonna just SING !! Now that you have the prototype done, contact some folks over in Asia and I'm sure you can get 'em replicated for around $10.00 ea and sell 'em to wally-World for $25.00 ea and they can sell 'em to us at $99.99 ea Razz Your wife will let you smoke ANYTHING you want in the house then Razz
DAMN,DAMN NICE work guy. Let us see it when all done for sure and tell us all about it's virgin smoke Razz
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 3:11 pm

lol! Thanks guys!

Kyle, I'll have my people call your people. Wink
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 3:28 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
lol! Thanks guys!

Kyle, I'll have my people call your people. Wink

10-4. My stock in sweatshops and whips just went up 8% Laughing
Back to top Go down
kieveryuu

kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 10:52 pm

That really is a nice looking pipe. Just adding my to shekels worth. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://type29a.com
szyzk

szyzk

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:41 am

UHM - NICE looking pipe!

So... When can we commission you? I want one!
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 1:10 pm

szyzk wrote:
UHM - NICE looking pipe!

So... When can we commission you? I want one!

Wow. That's an exciting offer! Seriously, I'm honored that you even mentioned this.

Since this is only my first, I really wouldn't feel comfortable letting it out into the world. There are just too many details that need to be ironed out and too many perceptible mistakes (when you can see the pipe in person, they're apparent) that I've made that I haven't yet learned how to fix. That will come with practice, but as of right now, no commissions. Razz

Once I feel comfortable enough with the overall quality of the work that I'm creating, I'll make some sort of announcement about pipes being for sale. I really enjoyed this process and have ordered some more wood, so I expect I'll continue creating. Honestly, I wouldn't expect to start accepting any offers like this for probably another year at least, but we'll see what happens. Razz

I'm very honored and delighted by the amount of positive response that this pipe has garnered. I've started conversing with some pros and now I'm learning a lot about what I didn't realize I didn't know. Which is really exciting! Hopefully I'll be able to improve a lot with the help of these generous folks. What an exciting new journey to enter into! Very Happy

Thanks for all the support! Especially Kyle. Thanks for enabling me! Wink
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 1:15 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:

We're just being nice. You've seen the rough-hewn crap I've spat out in six hours, the folks cheered. Then you come along and make your pipe and suddenly I'm Graboweiss drug-store. Laughing lol!
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Making my First Pipe   Making my First Pipe - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:

We're just being nice. You've seen the rough-hewn crap I've spat out in six hours, the folks cheered. Then you come along and make your pipe and suddenly I'm Graboweiss drug-store. Laughing lol!

Seriously though, I bet if you spent 80+ hours on a pipe it'd turn out beautiful. Damn! That reminds me: I keep forgetting to look for that UPS receipt. I'll try to remember to rummage this evening and let you know.

Note: Edited for rudeness. Razz
Back to top Go down

Making my First Pipe
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: