HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Black Vultures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Black Vultures   Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:56 pm

I heard something outside my house that sounded like a big piece of sheet iron rippling in the wind. Once outside I found 10 Black Vultures on my lawn, drawn by a dead squirrel in the street. The sound had come from them on the roof.

Big birds with a body as big as a whole fryer and a 3' wingspan, jostling to get at the squirrel, some less aggressive staying back on the lawn. Even the car after car passed causing them to disperse, they never got the idea that they could eat in peace by dragging the squirrel out of the road.

Fascinating. I've never observed group behavior and vultures don't usually come into town.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Black Vultures   Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Aside from how their heads look they're very graceful birds. Magnificent flyers as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Black Vultures   Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Vultures are pretty cool.

My good friend Rebecca, her parents' house attracts them to roost in huge cottonwood trees in their backyard. There could be 30 - 40 of them out there, all making ominous, garbled noises before they bed down for the night. They're quite a spectacle en masse.

That must have been one tasty squirrel to justify that many big birds! You should encourage them and leave out some leftover scraps. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Black Vultures   Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:13 pm

I got a new roof last summer, and two hours after they'd arrived some were still on it, making it quiver and noisy. Such big birds.

As for scraps, I dunno; don't know that I'd want to attract vultures, but hey! a chick might make a good pet. How they'd get along with the cats is another matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Black Vultures   Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:35 pm

I love watchin' em soar.
Nature's clean up crew. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Black Vultures   Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Another neat bird-related sound is when a woodpecker sits on top of your metal chimney cover and tries to break seeds.
If you are sitting inside the noise sounds like a machine gun and it takes a while to figure out what is happening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Black Vultures   Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:11 am

After the wood peckers scare ya to death, the vultures arrive to clean up. Co-operation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kingcobradude

Registration date : 2011-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Black Vultures   Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:13 am

Bub wrote:
Another neat bird-related sound is when a woodpecker sits on top of your metal chimney cover and tries to break seeds.
If you are sitting inside the noise sounds like a machine gun and it takes a while to figure out what is happening.
very true
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Black Vultures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1