Anybody else into aquariums?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else into aquariums?   Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 5:49 pm

wintermute wrote:
For those with Tanganyika cichlids - can I comfortably handle J. Transciptus or shell dwellers in this (I doubt it)? Thanks.

Actually with the Shell Dwellers, you might get away with this. In nature, they defend a very small territory and two pairs can live semi-comfortably in a 10-gallon tank.

Since it's a 5-gallon, water chemistry is going to be a challenge, since very small changes in water quality take place in a hurry. Should work though... Just buy a few of them and when a pair forms, remove the others.
Back to top Go down
Mordechaj

Registration date : 2011-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else into aquariums?   Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 6:09 pm

I'd rather not push the luck and go with some Gourami. Their labyrinth organ enables them to breathe air and they require the least volume of water that I know of.
5 gal is the perfect set up for one male and 3-4 females, heavily planted to their satisfaction, and they'll reward you with gaudy colours and interesting interaction.

I have a pearl gourami, but they come smaller too, and even the Betta Splendes falls under the category.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else into aquariums?   Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 7:03 pm

With the unexpected death of my oranda Iichi, I have a 12 gallon which happily houses now three otocinclus catfish and a turquoise plakat dragon scale halfmoon betta. I have never enjoyed nor seen such great personality of a betta, because except when I was younger and had one, I never knew how to care for them properly. With a heater and filtration they are a totally different fish, I have caught myself watching him sneak around, swim and eyeball me for food for hours. Not the sluggish "sits in a small vase" half-dead fish you see everywhere. The big box pet stores sell them for reasonable cash, and they don't have huge water quality requirements. Throw some plants and some mystery snails in there and you have quite the little aqua bio-cube. Cool
Back to top Go down
alanchrz

Registration date : 2012-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else into aquariums?   Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 10:43 pm

55 gal

Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 Pbucket

Back to top Go down
wintermute

Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else into aquariums?   Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 11:24 am

Unfortunately, my go-to shop (where I used to go for cool little critters like cherry shrimp and badis badis) shut down, so it definitely does sound like a dwarf gourami or betta is my best bet, unfortunately. Has anyone ordered fish on-line?
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else into aquariums?   Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 11:30 am

wintermute wrote:
Unfortunately, my go-to shop (where I used to go for cool little critters like cherry shrimp and badis badis) shut down, so it definitely does sound like a dwarf gourami or betta is my best bet, unfortunately. Has anyone ordered fish on-line?

That suck. LFSs have been really hurt badly by the big chains.

Online fish ordering is hit-and-miss, to my knowledge, just find a place close by. Betta do well in transit (tough as nails), gourami are pretty sensitive little creatures (both before and after transit).
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else into aquariums?   Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Well my german red peacock cichlids and red zebra cichlids both had fry, so i have 14 of one and 15 of another set up in their own tank. If you were close i'd say come get them. They are about 1 inch but you could only keep one fully grown in a tank that size. If you had really good filtration you could put more fish in. Speaking of has anyone here ever made thier own canister filter ?
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Grayhound

Grayhound

Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else into aquariums?   Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 7:16 pm

I ran across this thread and even though it"s a little old I thought I'd post some shots of my Saltwater Reef and some of the coral in it. It's a project in work and just as enjoyable as a good pipe;

Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 Tank11
Had a little algae bloom going as you can see, since cleared up
Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 Tank4_10

Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 Tank_110
Back to top Go down
CygnusXII

CygnusXII

Registration date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else into aquariums?   Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:09 pm

I used to raise Japanese Koi, and other exotic Goldfish. I also had Cichlids for a spell. I had a 100 Gallon and a 55 Gallon. I built my own recirculating canister pumps, back before they became easily bought at pet stores. I had a couple of inline ultraviolet sterilizers and all the power heads and Garden styled pond pumps pushing the water turnover. I used to enjoy it quite a bit. There was a guy in Haltom City Texas, that imported fish from Japan, and had them flown in all the time. I loved going to that place.

Unfortunately my psycho-bitch,girlfriend of the time, pardon the french took the gear in our split up. I came home to an empty apartment, after being gone for a bit, working a job away from the house.
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else into aquariums?   Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Got another 55 gallon and now have a mbuna and a peacock cichlid.
Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 Img_1718
Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 Img_1719
Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 Img_1720
Anybody else into aquariums? - Page 3 Img_1721
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com

Anybody else into aquariums?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: