HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

End of a Christmas Tradition

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: End of a Christmas Tradition   Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:36 am

The tree farm we've used for at least 15 years closed this year. and this was a sad article to read:
http://www.herald-mail.com/news/tristate/hm-pa-tree-farm-closing-after-more-than-four-decades-20111223,0,6411526.story

We purchased many Christmas trees from Tucker. His trees were always shaped perfectly. He also owned a series of Springer spaniels. We would take our dogs with us on each visit to tag, than cut the tree a few weeks before Christmas, "Boogey" and "Chance" were two favorites and they loved to romp with our two Westies. Playing with the dogs was a pleasant diversion for me, while my wife spent her 1.5 - 2 hours selection process. Boogey, like our dog Maggie died a few years ago, but Chance was still going strong. We drove by the farm in the MGB this past summer, going to the farm/tractor show at the nearby Two-Top Ruritan grounds. It was sad to see empty hills where hundreds of trees thrived over the past four decades. We enjoyed many beautiful Christmas trees thanks to Tucker, God Bless!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:41 am

That's a shame... times change and I find I have a harder and harder time changing with them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:48 am

Simple Man wrote:
That's a shame... times change and I find I have a harder and harder time changing with them.
A good way to sum it up. This gentleman also had a finely attended Bonsai garden. I wonder what will become of it as his health is failing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:08 pm

Simple Man wrote:

This might sound funny coming from a young man, but I agree. I've actually felt this way for a long time, like I was out of place in time. There are so many things that are happening now with my generation that I just can't relate to and don't fully understand. I don't pretend to understand this concept as well as you gents, but I can relate.

Sorry to hear about the tree farm closing. Some of my fondest memories as a kid involve going Christmas tree shopping with my Dad way out in the boonies in Louisiana. I'm always sad to hear of an independent business closing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:10 pm

riff raff wrote:
A good way to sum it up. This gentleman also had a finely attended Bonsai garden. I wonder what will become of it as his health is failing.

If they are potted, perhaps an offer to take them on yourself might not be out of the question, eh? Just imagine the nostalgia and other good feelings that would come with them.
Back to top Go down
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:23 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
riff raff wrote:

If they are potted, perhaps an offer to take them on yourself might not be out of the question, eh? Just imagine the nostalgia and other good feelings that would come with them.
A magnificent idea. I think another drive up is in order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:47 pm

It's a shame to see it go.

When the kids were kids, we used to go to Brett Favre's
home town, Kiln, MS and cut a tree at "Santa's Forest."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:31 pm

riff raff wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:
riff raff wrote:

A magnificent idea. I think another drive up is in order.

It would be nice if you could acquire the Bonsai garden as they are amazing works of art.

My only suggestion would be to leave the MGB at home.

Enjoy the New Year Holiday, John. rendeer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:14 pm

Having Bonzai at home would be awesome. I'm planning on starting a Japanese Maple come spring time. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:27 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Having Bonzai at home would be awesome. I'm planning on starting a Japanese Maple come spring time. Very Happy

I killed out last Japanese Maple....
But, maybe it was the poor soil!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IrishRover

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:53 am

Simple Man wrote:

My thoughts exactly!!
Sorry to hear that. Having a tradition suddenly removed, a Christmas tradition, gees! even worse.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:42 am

The good news is we did find a new farm this year, recommended by a friend. My wife knows the owner thru his main business. The tree farm/alpaca's are a sideline. They have a beautiful old farm with extensive renovations just across the MD border into PA. He is a bit new to trees and hasn't gotten the shaping down like old Tucker, but we did get a nice one. So, I guess that starts a new tradition. And, he has a couple of dogs!
http://www.cherryrunfarm.com/ourtrees.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:07 am

Hey Riff Raff what year MGB do you have. I had a 1964 at one time I sure wish I still had. I traded that little jewel, well a jewel when running and a pain in my you know what, when not. I still think of that car often, wish I still had her, she was fun to get out in. I lived in the NC mountains when I had her, loved to have the rag top down and just go till I ended up some where I wasent expecting. Always took tools and spare parts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:51 am

plumbernater wrote:
Hey Riff Raff what year MGB do you have. I had a 1964 at one time I sure wish I still had. I traded that little jewel, well a jewel when running and a pain in my you know what, when not. I still think of that car often, wish I still had her, she was fun to get out in. I lived in the NC mountains when I had her, loved to have the rag top down and just go till I ended up some where I wasent expecting. Always took tools and spare parts.
We have a '79. Hoping to get it out today, but top-up, the wife has a cold...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:06 pm

I understand , I was referring to better weather. HAVE A GREAT NEW YEARS DAY, crusing in that MGB. Mine had the nock off lock on the real spoked rims. Those just say british style
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: End of a Christmas Tradition   Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:18 pm

plumbernater wrote:
I understand , I was referring to better weather. HAVE A GREAT NEW YEARS DAY, crusing in that MGB. Mine had the nock off lock on the real spoked rims. Those just say british style
Oh the top would be down if she felt better. It is in the 50's here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

End of a Christmas Tradition
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: