HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:08 pm

I realize that you have to take into account temp, humidity and wind, but for me its 32 degrees.
Since its 21degrees now I will have to settle for some single malt scotch and hope for better weather tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Well, that would depend on how long I've gone without a smoke because I don't smoke in the house. But I've been out when it was 27 and a 13 mile hour wind. Yep, a real quick one sir.

I smoke outside of my own choosing because I don't like the smell in the house after awhile. The next day it always smells dirty and funky. Besides the smoke residue gets all over everything in time.

Last edited by Cartaphilus on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Id say in the 30's also..thats about my comfort limit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:29 pm

I also have nowhere inside to smoke (stupid rental agreements). Today it was 33 and windy; I gave up and sat in the car to finish!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Guess it depends on how bad I want to smoke. I left the US not long after all the smoking bans were implemented and wound up in a more tropical environment. I do remember how cold it got up in Interlochen Michigan where we had to sneak outside for a smoke. That sucked, but you were so desperate you didnt care, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:43 pm

*shrug*

The other midnight's pipe at 10F with a light breeze was made better by some rye. Wasn't so bad. Sometimes the quiet is worth the cold nose.

Thing is, today was almost 70F... but I had to work! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:51 pm

32 sounds like a good cut-off point for me too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:37 pm

It's 70 here beside the window fan.
In the F'n 30s outside; screw dat. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:02 am

I pay the bills I smoke in the air conditioning and the heat. Really I like to think Im in charge. My wife likes the way my pipe smells, If she didnt Id get run out side as well. Then Id have to learn that cut off temp, Probably go to the garage and sit buy the heater.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:12 am

Out here now at a balmy 45F in shorts... must be the Jackknife... drunken Better than 10F! albino
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:17 am

Other than my beloved cats, I live alone. I smoke pipes and cigars in the house; I hate smoking outside, even when it is temperate. If I ever remarry, one of my conditions will be that I can smoke in the house at will.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cigar2you

Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:59 am

What it boils down to for me is wind and exposure. My smoking area outside is protected on three sides which definitely helps. Still with temperatures below 45 I find my bowls get proportionally smaller.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:26 am

Fortunately, I've been granted the use of the basement for smoking purposes. Although I prefer to smoke out on the back deck, I tend to stay indoors if the temp dips out of the 30s (or if its snowing/raining...no covering over the deck).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:59 am

It really depends. I guess I'm just fickle. Sometimes 60 degrees can seem too chilly, other times I'll happily sit out in frigid temps well below freezing (particularly if its early in the day and sunny outside).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:05 pm

30 is my cut off, as long as there's no wind. I did a little experiment that I'm hoping will allow me to smoke indoors here soon. My room mate left for 2 weeks during the holiday and is returning today. I've smoked in the apartment about every other day since she left and I've had friends come over to inspect the apartment with their noses during that time. It seems that it takes between 12 and 24 hours for the smell to dissipate completely, but I think I've got a good discussion point now. Y'know, that and I pay half the rent. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:33 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
Other than my beloved cats, I live alone. I smoke pipes and cigars in the house; I hate smoking outside, even when it is temperate. If I ever remarry, one of my conditions will be that I can smoke in the house at will.

Absolutely. If I had to smoke outside in frigid weather, I would give it up, and that ain't gonna happen. I have my priorities. Keeping some whiney slut around isn't one of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: How cold   Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:15 pm

I smoke in the house unless we have sensitive company but also take the dog out for walks in sub-freezing weather and keep a pipe going. Won't take a meer out and light it and light it below freezing but otherwise I've yet to find a temp too cold - down to near 0 fahrenheit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Being from the deep south I dont like the cold, when I say cold I mean anything below 65, I have a home in Missouri and it gets colder than my ex-wifes heart so I smoke in my house. My wife dont like the latakia too much but she will always go to another room until I finish.
Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:50 pm

=

Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Here in the Eastern PA suburbs it gets fairly chilly sometimes but it doesn't get cold enough to keep me inside if I really want a smoke. As long as there isn't too much wind or rain I can bundle up enough to keep the chill from my bones. Somtimes I'll switch to a cob if I think it's too chilly for a briar. Had a smoke under our deck in a snowstorm last year and it was pretty magical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
alfredo_buscatti wrote:

Absolutely. If I had to smoke outside in frigid weather, I would give it up, and that ain't gonna happen. I have my priorities. Keeping some whiney slut around isn't one of them.

Have to agree. Looks like we're in the minority but a man has to have his priorities!

pirat

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:47 pm

Richard Burley wrote:

lol! Leave it to Richard to be gentle and indirect. Laughing

Frost wrote:
Had a smoke under our deck in a snowstorm last year and it was pretty magical.

Sounds neat. We've had a really weird winter this year got snow in mid-October (which is rare) and haven't had a drop of precipitation fall since--and I was looking forward to a nice snow to go out on the porch for a pipe, too! Last year we got several storms consisting of almost two to three feet a piece and had the largest snowpack in the mountains on record--this year, it's the longest stretch of no precipitation since they've kept records... Laughing Days have been nice, nights have been quite cold... *shrug* Go figure. Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:47 pm

I smoked a bowl of Northwoods last night outside and it was around 22 degrees...not that bad. I smoked the second half of the bowl in the garage while tinkering with my snow blower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:53 pm

About 27 degrees out this morning. I am really far south so this cold chaps my ass hard, but i do like the cold even when it's below freezing as long as it is not windy. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Haven't reached my cut-off low temp recently, as I live in Arkansas and it seldom gets below the mid-20s here. I also have several fire pits in the woods and a portable grill I build a fire in on the porch, so it makes even a night below freezing a rather enjoyable adventure. Sure, I prefer those warm (hot!) balmy (muggy!) nights in summer, but with warm cloths, picking a site out of the wind, and a nice fire going, it's all good.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next